What did you learn from your first time cruising?

ilikeanswers

I learned that sea days are excruciatingly boring. I eventually learned on the longe cruises that I took that the level of boring increases as the 2nd power of the number of sea days; i.e., 2 sea days are 4 times as boring and 3 sea days are 9 times as boring. I am not talking about what the cruise companies call "scenic cruising" which can be OK but just sea days.

I guess that this means that I will never take a cruise in the Pacific Ocean.

DON

Whenever we do something for the first time we have an idea of what we think the experience will be like but usually reality is different. Sometimes it is better:D sometimes it is worst:eek:

When you completed your first cruise what expectations or misconceptions did you find needed readjustment in one way or another? What did you learn about cruising that could only come from experience:confused:?

We learned how easy it was to get seasick and did not cruise again for 21 years.

My first cruise (41 cruises ago) I learned that if you sign for something you are being billed for it. And I have learned over the years that I LOVE sea days - so relaxing. Also have learned to take the stairs

I learned on my first cruise"

• Since you will never see them again, there is no need to try to impress others with a new outfit each day.
  • Use the ship laundry and pack for just three days.
  • Don't count on your fellow passengers to entertain you.
  • Ship docking time is at least 30 minutes before arrival in port.
  • Be up and about one hour before docking to get photos of the cities.
  • Aft staterooms have the best view and you can dine on your balcony even while the ship is moving.

I’ve learnt....

....I can’t count on my kids wanting to go to the kids club so I can have a relaxing vacation. In fact, my kids hate going to the club and just want to hang out with us. *sigh*

....I have three or four outfits I love to wear during the day. More clothing is totally superfluous.

....dressing up for dinner is a surprising amount of fun. Even the kids love putting on their suits and looking flash.

....never ask the kids to put their arms around each other for a photo shoot. And don’t expect to get more than two poses before they have had enough and start rolling their eyes and grumbling.

....cruising is an awesome way to get a taste of many different places when traveling with kids - especially when one of them is autistic and needs familiar routines.

....hubby and I don’t get our moneys worth out of a drink package but Mr16 has manages to do so within the first two days.

....courtesy and politeness go a long long way when interacting with the staff who make your holiday happen.

....stairs are better than the lifts except when wearing ridiculous shoes with an evening gown.

....and finally, shoes that hurt your feet and limit your ability to use the stairs are just daft. Far better to get a lower and more comfortable pair.

1) Ship sponsored excursions are nothing more than over priced cattle herds. You can do much better researching and booking tours on your own.

2) Don't obsess over formal nights. You are on vacation and are not at a country club fundraiser.

3) I actually chased down the maître de on the last night to give him an envelope with a tip. I shall never make that mistake again!

4) I didn't learn about Cruise Critic until ten years after our first cruise. I wish that I had known about it before our first cruise!