Im sad to say, but Im on my way, Goodbye Celebrity.

nancyshaw

We have cruised Celebrity three times (Reflection, Silly x2). We thoroughly enjoyed our experiences. We are foodies and have traveled extensively in Europe, Middle East and Asia and enjoy the Celebrity food offerings. Our teen daughter enjoys the vibe and wife and I enjoy the peace and quiet. We also enjoy the all inclusive package they offer with Go BEST. It's not that we are getting free drinks. Nothing is for free! It just makes our vacation that much more enjoyable and relaxing. It's not hard to see the difference in classes (suites vs everyone else). I could care less. They paid for it. I read a lot of reviews on CC and every cruise line has the same review which is the classic "I felt nickle and dimed." We have realistic expectations as we research before we go. Celebrity is non-smoking with few exceptions. This is appealing to us. As for the OP, I hope you enjoy your Viking cruise. When our daughter leaves the nest then we will probably try Azamara or Regent for a classier experience. But, there is probably a reason why that Celebrity is the highest rated line outside of Disney (way more money) or the exclusive lines (child haters). We are trying our first M class cruise to China next year. I'm hoping it will be as good as S class but the itinerary is the experience and not the ship.

Chaps612

"But, there is probably a reason why that Celebrity is the highest rated line outside of Disney (way more money) or the exclusive lines (child haters)."

Huge assumption on your part that "exclusive lines ' are for child haters.

There are many reasons why many would want a child free vacation. We have had plenty of experiences where our cruise, taken at the wrong time of year was more like Camp than a relaxing holiday.

By doing a cruise line that has only 18 and over, we can travel any time of the year, any length, and any holiday sailing.

Very grateful that lines like that exist. Im sorry Celebrity has attracted more and more children aboard even though it does not offer the exciting "stuff" of a Royal Carib experience.

But this is a whole other topic that has been here way too often. I have to smile everytime I see someone post, Im bringing my baby on a cruise and want advice. Really?

Ok now I have really done it. Ready for the flames. I would not have done that but to say that lines that are adult only are for "child haters" really offended me.

Not sure where this rating comes from. There must be a reason but not the product quality.

Let's see: future bookings are strong; high number of repeat cruisers; record profits. Think the facts would indicate that most cruisers really like the Celebrity product. Is it perfect? No, it's not perfect. Have there been cutbacks that has lessened the total experience for those not in Suites? Yes, there have been. But Celebrity has done a good job when compared to their peers and continues to get superior ratings from customers.

Not sure where this rating comes from. There must be a reason but not the product quality.

Ronbe,

You seem to really dislike Celebrity from your comments. So why do you sail on Celebrity ships? Or do you even sail on Celebrity?

Let's see: future bookings are strong; high number of repeat cruisers; record profits. Think the facts would indicate that most cruisers really like the Celebrity product. Is it perfect? No, it's not perfect. Have there been cutbacks that has lessened the total experience for those not in Suites? Yes, there have been. But Celebrity has done a good job when compared to their peers and continues to get superior ratings from customers.

Can’t say for sure, if it’s because of of their overall good job.

But I think it’s more their loyalty program that’s keeps them coming back. They are a tad ( just a little bit) better than mainstream cruise lines IMHO. Their itineraries are really great. I just wish my second experience would have wooed me as much as the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoy Celebrity ships. The positives far outweigh any negatives. You really have to look at the package. I agree, perhaps the OP hasn't sailed on celebrity-surely not the silhouette or reflection. Based on the lines to book future cruises, on our last Silhouette cruise, they will not miss the OPs business.

Enjoy your very expensive- not perfect either, Viking or Oceania cruise.

Totally agree that this cruise line first concern (after safety) is future booking. Same applies to all cruise lines. Cruisers across the boards are eager to book NCL Bliss, Nieuw Statendam, Celebrity Edge, Carnival Horizon, Viking Orion, MSC Seaview....

My question was where this rating (second best cruise line) comes from.

Many sources for ratings. Some of these include passenger ratings and surveys taken by groups such as Cruise Critic and a variety of travel related publications. The ratings don't always agree since they tend to obtain ratings by different demographic groups.

Chaps612

"But, there is probably a reason why that Celebrity is the highest rated line outside of Disney (way more money) or the exclusive lines (child haters)."

There are many reasons why many would want a child free vacation. We have had plenty of experiences where our cruise, taken at the wrong time of year was more like Camp than a relaxing holiday.

By doing a cruise line that has only 18 and over, we can travel any time of the year, any length, and any holiday sailing.

Very grateful that lines like that exist. Im sorry Celebrity has attracted more and more children aboard even though it does not offer the exciting "stuff" of a Royal Carib experience.

But this is a whole other topic that has been here way too often. I have to smile everytime I see someone post, Im bringing my baby on a cruise and want advice. Really?

Ok now I have really done it. Ready for the flames. I would not have done that but to say that lines that are adult only are for "child haters" really offended me.

No flames from me to THIS post. (your other posts - I agree with most of the flaming.)

I really enjoy Celebrity ships. The positives far outweigh any negatives. You really have to look at the package. I agree, perhaps the OP hasn't sailed on celebrity-surely not the silhouette or reflection. Based on the lines to book future cruises, on our last Silhouette cruise, they will not miss the OPs business.

Enjoy your very expensive- not perfect either, Viking or Oceania cruise.

We are paying much less than we would have in a Suite on a Celeb ship.

Sailing on any particular ship on Celeb does not guarantee you the same quality of food, chef or service. We have sailed many times on the same ship and discovered that you cannot count on things being the same from cruise to cruise. Staff changes, cut backs, changes of rules. Things can be different even if a cruise is taken 2 weeks later. You cannot count on consistency.

Yes we have sailed on Silhoette. Wonderful sometimes, poor at others. (food, MDR) But that is the way it is. It did not deter us from coming back. What did it is the three cruises in a row , where we were not happy. So it is time to try something else.

As others have pointed out, it is good to try other lines, other ways of travelling. There is no need to be a die hard loyalist. Seems just foolish. There is a whole world of opportunity.

No offence, but when you make statements like this plus the one about Viking O being 18+ being a perk, you paint yourself as a "child hater".

News flash, if you take vacations at the "wrong time of year" as you put it, it's your fault that you were surrounded by children, not theirs.

suite guests dine in luminae. If you have sailrd on Celebrity overthe past few years you would know that

of course I know that... that has been one of my objections, that the MDR has suffered so as to make Luminae look better.....we have never sailed in a suite...not sure I understand your comment....

Probably based on Cruise Critic’s Reader’s Choice Awards, which was based upon CC reader’s reviews posted here on Cruise Critic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm

In reading this thread, it is apparent that regarding food, the beauty is in the eye (or taste preferences) of the diner. The OP says inedible, while others say delicious. Same responses regarding other lines. We found the food on NCLwas as close to inedible as one could get, at least in their MDR. Yet others find it perfectly fine. Go figure.

Edited by richsea
Forgot link

No offence, but when you make statements like this plus the one about Viking O being 18+ being a perk, you paint yourself as a "child hater".

News flash, if you take vacations at the "wrong time of year" as you put it, it's your fault that you were surrounded by children, not theirs.

To want a child free holiday does NOT mean you are a child hater. In fact, it is a personal attack for anyone to say so. Which we are constantly reminded not to make.

On an adult line there is NO wrong time of year. That was my point.

Probably based on Cruise Critic’s Reader’s Choice Awards, which was based upon CC reader’s reviews posted here on Cruise Critic.

In reading this thread, it is apparent that regarding food, the beauty is in the eye (or taste preferences) of the diner. The OP says inedible, while others say delicious. Same responses regarding other lines. We found the food on NCLwas as close to inedible as one could get, at least in their MDR. Yet others find it perfectly fine. Go figure.

Yes I agree, it definitely depends on many factors. We have had many amazing meals on Celeb ships over the years. Also discovered that if a new ship was coming out, the best staff were drained from other ships to fill the new one. Then it was awful with inexperienced staff including the Chef. But that was to be understood. So really we never know when boarding a Celeb ship what the dining in MDR will be like. We took our chances and most of the time it was ok or good. The three cruises in a row of "bad" made us want to try something else.

Chaps612

No flaming from me concerning this post. I try very hard to avoid a boatload of kids by either cruising when they're in school or going on itineraries that are not appealing to families.

I don't dislike children, but would rather not be around swarms of them when I travel. We have taken all of our grandkids on cruises, but they have been between 12 to 20 years old. I'm one of those who really doesn't understand why people take very young children on cruises. (Now I'll get flamed!!!! LOL.)

What is the point of continual Celebrity bashing by certain individuals? I do not think it has changed the opinions of those who cruise on Celebrity. What counts is that each person has their choice of cruise lines. Maybe it is time to close this thread and move to something more productive rather than continual negativity.

To want a child free holiday does NOT mean you are a child hater. In fact, it is a personal attack for anyone to say so. Which we are constantly reminded not to make.

On an adult line there is NO wrong time of year. That was my point.

I agree. I love children a lot, love interacting with them, playing and they love me back.

However I enjoy adult only areas (solariums etc) on all ships that have them. Because I understand that no matter how well behaved kids are, they generally have more energy, so it’s only natural to expect them wanting for example jump to the pool or splash. I don’t want to be asking them not to do this because it makes me uncomfortable.

By the same token somebody prefers completely adult experience. They don’t hate children, but prefer their company not during their vacation.

By the way when Celebrity cruisers (including me) criticize Carnival for accepting too many children ... are they being child haters?

...... Maybe it is time to close this thread and move to something more productive rather than continual negativity.

Or maybe you could just stop reading it? Problem solved. You're welcome.

ronebe65, I see you posted Summit above.

Have you tried this class? I know it’s a risk in terms of propulsion problems sometimes, but overall they are very nice ships in all regards

Chaps612

I’m a retired jr high/middle school principal so no flames from me. We have 10 grandchildren. I am very happy to be on cruises w/o kids. That’s why we do a transatlantic crossing every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the point of continual Celebrity bashing by certain individuals? I do not think it has changed the opinions of those who cruise on Celebrity. What counts is that each person has their choice of cruise lines. Maybe it is time to close this thread and move to something more productive rather than continual negativity.

And your opinion what would be more productive than discussing pros and cons of various experiences? I dont see "continual negativity" here. I see many positive comments.

I have learned a great deal from many of the posters here. Thank you.

The M class are going in for an "edgefication", not sure what that will mean. I do know that the Infinity is badly in need of a fix up. We were on it in May and November. The ship is very tired, although still beautiful. The bathrooms really need to be gutted.

The food in MDR was poor, yes my opinion, but what I liked that the Eclipse did not offer is every night there was something that was not on the menu that the waiter recommended and most of that was good.

The waiter was amazing, so even if the food was not very good, didnt want to hurt his feelings and ate it anyway and kept quiet about it.

For us the #1 criteria is food. It's no longer up to snuff in the MDR and paying extra for 'specialty' restaurants nightly bumps the price up significantly. Everyone else is doing it is an excuse, not an argument for Celebrity to try and win the race to food mediocrity.

People post their warnings to others, not to change the cheerleaders minds or to try and take people away from Celebrity, but to set the expectations to realistic levels. For example: Set your expectations for the MDR to slightly better than Olive Garden at sea and you should enjoy Celebrity.