Do others on "linked" booking get priority boarding.

sailing_scot

I have heard of, on paper, booking the one Elite with the one new cruiser in each cabin.

I believe they go by cabin. But you might not be able to count on 'linked' bookings???

If there is one thing that is consistent - it can be the inconsistency!

Of course, who cares which cabin each family member actually stays with!!!

Of course, who cares which cabin each family member actually stays with!!!

thanks. My question is - yes we are totally in our rights if booking two cabins to split out our elite family into each cabin and we can stay in which ever room we want, but is it possible to have the cruise card changed so that folks can access the room they are staying in as opposed to the room originally assigned.

thanks. My question is - yes we are totally in our rights if booking two cabins to split out our elite family into each cabin and we can stay in which ever room we want, but is it possible to have the cruise card changed so that folks can access the room they are staying in as opposed to the room originally assigned.

Passenger services can take care of this after booking in one of two ways. They will either just issue new cards to the correct people (which effectively invalidates what you did to make both cabins elite) or they can issue "blank" cards which will only open the door. The people use their original cards for charging, boarding the ship, and all else.

The bottom line is that they don't care where you sleep. They care where you are booked....and in an emergency that you go to the correct muster station.

Edited by moki'smommy

No wonder the priority line is often longer than the regular line.

Technically there is nothing wrong with booking one elite person in each cabin....and it happens on many cruise lines. There are risks to it...if one party has to cancel, it can make a horrible mess.

The problem is the requests for others to tag along. Sometimes there are more elite and suite cruisers than relative newbies. It totally depends on the cruise.

Linked bookings is for dining purposes only. It has nothing to do with Priority boarding or other loyalty perks. In some ports, there are separate lounges for Elite and Platinum passengers because there are so many of them. On my last cruise on the Emerald last month, there were over 1,500 Platinum/Elite onboard. Even the Elite had four separate boarding groups. Imagine if even some of them wanted to bring guests. There wasn't seating for those with "real" Priority boarding.

If you all want to board together, then it's much better if you all use general boarding. Priority boarding is for those who have earned or paid for it.

Edited by Pam in CA

Some people feel that linking Elite status to others can be extended to more than just boarding.

ie. tender service, special lounge, free laundry.

Again, completely inappropriate. If you wish to be with your friends or family who have not earned the status,you are always welcome to wait in the general line, lounge, and do your own laundry. Unfortunately, it is not always clear whether perks are "per person" or "per cabin." Obviously it is clear in the internet package. But is the laundry service for the elite member only or for all in the cabin? Is priority boarding, tendering, etc. for all in a cabin with an elite member or only for the elite member? That doesn't even get to the issue of the cabin next door, which is a huge problem. Obviously, laundry service is NOT for the elite member and everyone who has a reservation linked to them!

As more people try to push the benefits, Princess will likely decrease them.

Some lines are far more strict--if you have not earned the perk, you don't get to wait in the special lounge area, board first, or whatever. Other perks are listed as "you and all adults in your cabin." Perhaps Princess needs to be more clear.

I am now elite but I travel with a friends who are gold and ruby level.

I was told that I can take my roommate with me (friend sharing a cabin) to priority boarding or any other activity/perk that does not cost any extra money, but I could not take friends traveling with me in another cabin. That seems reasonable to me.

Frankly, with so many people using the priority boarding lines, its no longer a perk to have priority boarding. The last two cruises I was on the regular line was shorter than the priority line. Its only going to continue as more people get priority status and as more people bring friends with them who do not have priority boarding status.

Again' date=' completely inappropriate. ...But is the laundry service for the elite member only or for all in the cabin? Is priority boarding, tendering, etc. for all in a cabin with an elite member or only for the elite member? That doesn't even get to the issue of the cabin next door, which is a huge problem. Obviously, laundry service is NOT for the elite member and everyone who has a reservation linked to them!

Some lines are far more strict--if you have not earned the perk, you don't get to wait in the special lounge area, board first, or whatever. Other perks are listed as "you and all adults in your cabin." Perhaps Princess needs to be more clear.[/quote']

I agree. I was specifically told by the Captain Circle rep that any perk that did not cost money I could bring my cabin-mate (not other friends in other cabins) with me (priority boarding, priority tender, lounge). But she was very clear that any perk that had a monetary value (laundry, wine tasting, internet) was for the elite passenger only.

I agree that as more people abuse these, then these perks will be eliminated. Those that abuse this are just ruining it for the rest of us and then we will hear the shouting and threats as we are now reading in the posts about the elimination of the coffee card.

just like throwing non-elites laundry into your "free" bag...:mad:

Yes, and if elites continue to abuse this then Princess will start restricting this perk also. I've read many complaints on how long it takes to get laundry back because of the volume of free laundry being sent in on some sailings.

Again' date=' completely inappropriate. If you wish to be with your friends or family who have not earned the status,you are always welcome to wait in the general line, lounge, and do your own laundry. Unfortunately, it is not always clear whether perks are "per person" or "per cabin." Obviously it is clear in the internet package. But is the laundry service for the elite member only or for all in the cabin? Is priority boarding, tendering, etc. for all in a cabin with an elite member or only for the elite member? That doesn't even get to the issue of the cabin next door, which is a huge problem. Obviously, laundry service is NOT for the elite member and everyone who has a reservation linked to them!

Some lines are far more strict--if you have not earned the perk, you don't get to wait in the special lounge area, board first, or whatever. Other perks are listed as "you and all adults in your cabin." Perhaps Princess needs to be more clear.[/quote']

You're living in a dream world if you think Elites don't share their perks with non Elites.

It's done all the time between friends. The Elites invite them to the Lounge for horderves & drinks, send in their laundry with theirs for free, send them to wine tasting with their cruise card as an invitation.....and yes get them unlimited brewed coffee with their acquired coffee card.

It pays for a newbie to know an Elite on their sailing. :)

That wasn't the case with my last cruise.

It depends on how well it's policed. There was a couple sitting in the "elite/platinum" section in San Francisco. They were taking part in everything available like the pastries/coffee/tea, etc. When our group was called they just sat there. I said "it's time to board." They said our group hasn't been called, they should have been sitting with the blue card group. They could have easily gone with us, but we didn't invite them to board with us as it wasn't fair to the others in our group.

You're living in a dream world if you think Elites don't share their perks with non Elites.

It's done all the time between friends. The Elites invite them to the Lounge for horderves & drinks, send in their laundry with theirs for free, send them to wine tasting with their cruise card as an invitation.....and yes get them unlimited brewed coffee with their acquired coffee card.

It pays for a newbie to know an Elite on their sailing. :)

It wouldn't pay for a newbie to get chummy with us. I did give 2 beers away on a cruise but that's about it. I figure my "elite" status costs us some big time bucks, others can do the same to get the perks.

My wife and are elite. We are taking our daughter, son in law, and two grandsons on the Emerald this summer. We have adjoining balcony cabins. Put my wife on one booking and I'm on the other. This solves the problem with priority boarding.

So there are 2 of you w priority boarding and your are taking 4 people who do not have priority status on board w you in the same group. You will probably get away w it but a bit cheeky in my opinion. I don't care if they are linked to you in some way, they do not have priority status.

DON

It depends on how well it's policed. There was a couple sitting in the "elite/platinum" section in San Francisco. They were taking part in everything available like the pastries/coffee/tea, etc. When our group was called they just sat there. I said "it's time to board." They said our group hasn't been called, they should have been sitting with the blue card group. They could have easily gone with us, but we didn't invite them to board with us as it wasn't fair to the others in our group.

Maybe they were in a suite. On our second cruise we were in a full suite and got to go to the priority boarding area in SF.

Some people feel that linking Elite status to others can be extended to more than just boarding.

ie. tender service, special lounge, free laundry.

Seems as though everyone on this board is "elite, platinum elite, gold elite, Super secret elite, on and on….

Me and DW will be in the first time cruisers line….apparently, we will be on BEFORE everyone else….because we will be the only ones in the "poor little fellas" line. :D

Now THAT'S what I call - PRIORITY boarding!!! :D

Seems as though everyone on this board is "elite, platinum elite, gold elite, Super secret elite, on and on….

Me and DW will be in the first time cruisers line….apparently, we will be on BEFORE everyone else….because we will be the only ones in the "poor little fellas" line. :D

There are many times when the regular check in line is shorter than the priority check in line. It happens on other lines as well. Enjoy your first cruise.

Nope, you'll still be in line behind everybody in the Elite and Priority lines, just possibly further back down the line behind all the non-priority/non-elites that were supposed to be in the "poor little fellas" line but are now in the Elite/Priority lines! :confused:

Tom

That's just the thing....

There are very confusing and conflicting reports of how Princess has been handling the boarding process.

There had been quite a few reports of shorter lines and perhaps quicker entry for regular non-elite passengers.

But, more recently, I am thinking that at the beginning of embarkation, Princess has been following the specified boarding waiting areas and priority status.

All of that becomes moot, after the morning rush...

You aren't getting on the ship before others if you don't arrive early!!!!

We are Platinum. (DH is anyway)

We are sailing the Regal out of FLL.

We are going to arrive early and are hoping to board early to make all of our cruise reservations and arrangements.

I don't know if our status will be very much help. But, I am assuming that there will be a morning rush, and will try to arrive early and check-in as Platinum, and go the Platinum/Elite route. Perhaps that will allow us to board a few minutes earlier????

PS: I am fine with those who actually are able to manage to have the Elite passenger booked for their cabin to board.

That is going to happen.

Linked cabins... NO. That is completely avoidable and stoppable.

And everyone is right.

Abuse of privilege is only resulting in limits of privileges.