Formal nights on Princess Cruises

Belle Star

I have noticed that the "you will be thrown overboard if you don't wear formal clothes" claims have diminished as has the number onboard wearing tux/formal gowns. Personally I think it is a turn for the better. It is a cruise ship and not a country club for the wealthy.

Well-said!

I have noticed that the "you will be thrown overboard if you don't wear formal clothes" claims have diminished as has the number onboard wearing tux/formal gowns. Personally I think it is a turn for the better. It is a cruise ship and not a country club for the wealthy.

There are still a few die-hard formalists in the group, as you well know, but even some of the most dedicated dressers have tempered their opinions lately.

On my recent 30 day cruise, Emerald Princess, I saw everything on formal night and no one seemed to be denied access to the dining room. There were no shorts, I saw people dressed casual but it doesn't matter and they were seated in the dining room.

Just beyond our table for 6 were a few tables for 2, several of those couples were dressed quite casual every evening, men had tee shirts with sayings, never a shirt with a collar. These couples did not show for formal night. My table mates commented on it, I worry about myself, not what others wear.

On my recent 30 day cruise, Emerald Princess, I saw everything on formal night and no one seemed to be denied access to the dining room. There were no shorts, I saw people dressed casual but it doesn't matter and they were seated in the dining room.

Just beyond our table for 6 were a few tables for 2, several of those couples were dressed quite casual every evening, men had tee shirts with sayings, never a shirt with a collar. These couples did not show for formal night. My table mates commented on it, I worry about myself, not what others wear.

The T shirt is another thing that Princess has relaxed their stance on for casual evenings.

Many years ago they used to require a collared shirt but that requirement is long gone.

Aloha. My wife and I are doing a 28 Day to Hawaii and Tahiti. The ship has scheduled 4 Formal nights. Seems like a lot for the cruise plus the island itinerary. Formal nights for us will be Hawaiian Shirts etc. My DW would never allow me towear a T Shirt to the MDR. I have learned to listen after 50 years of marriage...

• Like 1

Aloha. My wife and I are doing a 28 Day to Hawaii and Tahiti. The ship has scheduled 4 Formal nights. Seems like a lot for the cruise plus the island itinerary. Formal nights for us will be Hawaiian Shirts etc. My DW would never allow me towear a T Shirt to the MDR. I have learned to listen after 50 years of marriage...

She has you trained well. ;)

Twenty five years ago, flying to the Caribbean from California......used to have to pack suits, ties, too many shoes, formal attire and semi formal attire. Now, I think it is much more relaxes. With the cost of suitcases to bring all that stuff its nice that its not so much required. I agree that a nice pair of slacks, shirt maybe tie or w/o with a casual jacket is just fine for men. Ladies, maybe black cocktail dress that packs well add a little sparkle jewelry and that's fine also. I no longer pack long gowns or suits. I agree that anyone who wants to dress formal and drag all that stuff with....go for it. Even when we leave out of LA as we will this trip without flying I want to travel simply. But I agree on any night for dinner use common sense. A nice pair of jeans with a nice shirt and shoes....not flip flops is good for guys. No cut off jeans or tank tops please. Ladies also......common sense.... what would be okay at the buffet or around the pool should be taken up a notch. Looking forward to this cruise....we will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and my husbands 70th birthday !!! Aloha !! Hopefully there will be a meet and greet on board...looking forward to it !!

On our Ruby cruise last fall we also were seated at a 6 top near the center of the room and close to the door. I saw quite a few men enter with only a tshirt and saw several enter with shorts so it must not have been a problem. One 6 top near ours two men almost every night wore shorts. This was not formal night of course. I saw a 2 top next to ours where a couple was seated. Every night the male wore a pie hat (type of men' hat) the entire time and this includes formal night. I also saw men walk by wearing baseball style hats but I am not aware if they removed them or not. We do enjoy people watching both what they wear and what they do. We first went to ATD when it was introduced but the last few years have gone back to TD as we enjoy the camaraderie with the same pax and same waiters.

There are still a few die-hard formalists in the group, as you well know, but even some of the most dedicated dressers have tempered their opinions lately.

Neither of us will win our arguments. It's always a stalemate. When it does get nasty, I just have the mods remove the offender. It's happened to me, I just make sure the others share in the mods generosity as well!

Formal night on Princess = money grab for photos...if that's your thing, go for it..:cool:

exactly last cruise for our 40th brought the whole family for a Picture they informed us 9 was to many to do a formal picture so with our cell phones and other passengers we got better pictures for free never buying another cruise photo ever ....and formal nights I haveseen shorts hoodies and baseball caps so its a done deal no more formal then you want to be

Oh I do agree that the buffet on the Regal and Royal is great but it's a shame to miss out on the formal meals in the DR for the lack of dressing up just a little to gain entrance. (and it doesn't take all that much ;))

Most varied buffet I ever saw was on the Regal. This includes the buffet on Oceania Riviera. The food quality was quite a bit higher on Riviera, but much less varied.

You don't have to be wealthy to dress nicely. Just wait for a good sale or buy through consignment.

I wish Princess would clarify and enforce it one way or the other instead of leaving it up to the DR host.

You don't have to be wealthy to dress nicely. Just wait for a good sale or buy through consignment.

True, last time I went to formal night I was literally in a dress that I bought off the internet for $20, and I looked plenty formal enough. Guys don’t need to tux up or anything, a simple button up shirt with collar and pants that aren’t jeans will do. I just think of it like going to a casual friend’s wedding (where you’re not part of the bridal/groomsmen party) and what you would wear.

I wish Princess would clarify and enforce it one way or the other instead of leaving it up to the DR host.

Oh, but they have clarified it. It just not published in an open fashion in hopes of still attracting the formal crowd thus satisfying both groups.

Probably due to comments like the one up above yours! We are certainly not 'wealthy' but the chance to dress up more formally is still thoroughly enjoyed by many not so rich cruisers including us.

We always dress up on formal night (hubby doesn't own a tux) but we have never posed for formal night photos or bought any photo on board for that matter!

Princess tries to have something for everyone. On our recent cruise, the Maitre D' and staff were enforcing the formal night dress code to the extent that passengers wearing shorts or t-shirts or capri pants, or flip-flops, etc. were asked to go back to their cabins and change.

Along with long pants, most men wore dress shirts with tie, or dress shirts w/ open collar and sportcoats, or sportcoats w/ dress shirt and tie. About the minimum you can get away with is a guayabera shirt and Dockers, as a guayabera shirt is considered formal wear in tropical areas.

We saw only a few tuxedos on passengers who were waiting in couples to have their photos taken.

The MDR is the only eating venue that participates in formal night. If you do not wish to observe formal night, there are many different options:

1. Eat at the Horizon Court buffet. Plenty of good, filling food and full-course dinners, including prime rib on many nights.

2. Eat at one of the speciality restaurants like Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Share, Crab Shack, etc. Lots of full course entrees.

3. Order free room service.

4. Order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.

5. Get a hamburger from the Salty Dog/ Trident Grill

6. Get pizza from Alfredo's

7. Have wine and tapas at Vines, followed by dessert at the International Cafe.

8. Book another cruise line.

No one ever goes hungry on a cruise ship!;p

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

To add : My husband did not want to bring along a pair of dress shoes for formal night, so he took along a pair of men's solid black walking shoes. These look like dress shoes, but they are actually comfy sneakers. New Balance, Nike, Saucony, and Rockport sell men's solid black walking shoes that look just like oxford dress shoes but are comfy like sneakers. He wore those with his dress pants, dress shirt, tie, and sportcoat; and no one knew the difference.

( He wore those same shoes for walking around the ship and for shore excursions).

Right after dinner, he removed his sportcoat and tie, and wore his dress shirt with open collar to the show.

Remember, no one is ever forced to eat in the MDR, as there are so many other dining venues on Princess ships. - EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

To add : My husband did not want to bring along a pair of dress shoes for formal night, so he took along a pair of men's solid black walking shoes. These look like dress shoes, but they are actually comfy sneakers. New Balance, Nike, Saucony, and Rockport sell men's solid black walking shoes that look just like oxford dress shoes but are comfy like sneakers. He wore those with his dress pants, dress shirt, tie, and sportcoat; and no one knew the difference.

( He wore those same shoes for walking around the ship and for shore excursions).

Right after dinner, he removed his sportcoat and tie, and wore his dress shirt with open collar to the show.

Remember, no one is ever forced to eat in the MDR, as there are so many other dining venues on Princess ships. - EBC

I do the same as your hubby does for shoes.

Please point me to it. Thank you.

Sure.

Go to https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

then "Packing for Your Cruise"

then "Learn More on What to Pack for a Cruise"

Fourth paragraph down.

You'll find that they're more lenient than most people are led to believe and this have proven out on all our cruises in the past 12 or 13 years. This isn't to say that people should dress down if they feel otherwise but simply that Princess is giving everyone the option to attend the DR in a more relaxed fashion if the so choose.

FWIW

We always dress up for formal nights and so did our three grandchildren on their first cruise on the Regal.

Grandma sprung for the ship family photos but I took my own.

Howard

That's what's so great about sailing Princess.

Everyone gets to choose what's appropriate for themselves.

Wish they'll call it dress up night instead

What's worse than wearing flipflops and t-shirt to "formal" night are people wearing formal clothes that look like it's from the 80s with outdated materials/patterns and horrendous loose/long fit

Look Much much nicer and "elegant" and classy for people to wear proper fitting clothes even if it's not a tie/suit combo

Tux makes most people look like the doormen or waiter especially those with outdated ones

Probably due to comments like the one up above yours! We are certainly not 'wealthy' but the chance to dress up more formally is still thoroughly enjoyed by many not so rich cruisers including us.

We always dress up on formal night (hubby doesn't own a tux) but we have never posed for formal night photos or bought any photo on board for that matter!

We're with you on that. I've always worn a jacket and tie on formal nights, and on a 28 day cruise with four formal nights I brought a Tux with four different colored ties and matching pocket squares. A Tux need not be expensive if you know where to buy it. After all, waiters in upscale restaurants don't wear a $900 Tux to work every day.

However, a guy should not wear a white dinner jacket on formal nights or he may be mistaken for one of the waiters!