Formal nights on Princess Cruises

Belle Star

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

It's company policy that I wear business casual. If it were up to me, I would wear flip flops and board shorts or just laundered gym cloths

There is a study that shows that doctors who dress more casually are less trusted 

Interesting.

I wonder is the same holds true for bankers and car salesmen? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Interesting.

I wonder is the same holds true for bankers and car salesmen? 

Here's one study

The Effect of an Orthopedic Hand Surgeon's Attire on Patient Confidence and Trust - PubMed (nih.gov)

There was another study but I can't find it. It was a doctor wearing a white coat vs just business casual vs jeans. The white coat had the highest patient trust. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrSea said:

It's company policy that I wear business casual. If it were up to me, I would wear flip flops and board shorts or just laundered gym cloths

There is a study that shows that doctors who dress more casually are less trusted 

10 hours ago, DrSea said:

Here's one study

The Effect of an Orthopedic Hand Surgeon's Attire on Patient Confidence and Trust - PubMed (nih.gov)

There was another study but I can't find it. It was a doctor wearing a white coat vs just business casual vs jeans. The white coat had the highest patient trust. 

That's not "dressing up". That's wearing the uniform of a physician. Completely different situation. Just as a police officer wearing his police uniform while on duty is not considered "dressing up".  

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My doctor (GP) dresses casually every day and he's doing just fine. 

I trust him to take my well being as his most important concern, not how he dresses to influence his patients.

But how does he dress on formal nights on cruises? Hmm? Not sure why your level of trust in a doctor has anything to do with MDR dining attire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My doctor (GP) dresses casually every day and he's doing just fine. 

I trust him to take my well being as his most important concern, not how he dresses to influence his patients.

40 years ago, when things were more "formal", I worked in one of the highly respected teaching hospitals in the country.  The M.D.'s that I worked with generally wore a shirt and tie (sometimes with a sports jacket) when they met with vendors or were teaching as Assistant Professors.  But when it came down to days (as they described it) when they were "playing doctor" they just wore scrubs (maybe a lab coat if it was cold; this was in San Francisco after all.)  Oddly enough, employees in lower/lowest pay grades were more likely to be seen walking around with lab coats.
Currently, I have never seen my doctor in a shirt & tie, only scrubs.  Though he does wear a lab coat on occasion.  Doesn't affect my confidence level one bit.  Especially after my stint working in a hospital where the highest paid surgeons wandered around wearing scrubs (and a cloth mask.)

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 6:07 PM, SiliconCruiser said:

40 years ago, when things were more "formal", I worked in one of the highly respected teaching hospitals in the country.  The M.D.'s that I worked with generally wore a shirt and tie (sometimes with a sports jacket) when they met with vendors or were teaching as Assistant Professors.  But when it came down to days (as they described it) when they were "playing doctor" they just wore scrubs (maybe a lab coat if it was cold; this was in San Francisco after all.)  Oddly enough, employees in lower/lowest pay grades were more likely to be seen walking around with lab coats.
Currently, I have never seen my doctor in a shirt & tie, only scrubs.  Though he does wear a lab coat on occasion.  Doesn't affect my confidence level one bit.  Especially after my stint working in a hospital where the highest paid surgeons wandered around wearing scrubs (and a cloth mask.)

My explained the tie issue early in his residency. When you bend over to look at things you do not want to have a tie getting into them. Also, in the psych ward it was a nice handle for the patients to grab.

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2018 at 5:26 AM, wishfulone said:

Six months ago on the Crown Princess in Europe it was the opposite to what you describe.....methinks you want to see it differently?

The poster was describing the dress as it was on the Crown last night.   Just because what he saw is different than what you experienced is not a reason to be insulting.  And methinks that is exactly what you intended.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:05 PM, wishfulone said:

Yes, most people dress in long gowns and a dark suit or tuxedo on formal night on all European cruises.

Not true on our Baltic and Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity several years ago, each 14 night cruises. Most people did not dress up as you described. Not sure what you saw, but that certainly didn't happen on our European cruises.

55 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Not true on our Baltic and Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity several years ago, each 14 night cruises. Most people did not dress up as you described. Not sure what you saw, but that certainly didn't happen on our European cruises.

I have to say, that long gowns are very rare these days.

2 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Nor on Princess cruises operating in Australia/NZ.  Shorts seen in MDR for dinner when I was on Coral in September.  Casual clothing seems the norm now on so called 'formal nights.'  Sure there is the odd tux or dark suit, but not like it used to be.

10 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

Nor on Princess cruises operating in Australia/NZ.  Shorts seen in MDR for dinner when I was on Coral in September.  Casual clothing seems the norm now on so called 'formal nights.'  Sure there is the odd tux or dark suit, but not like it used to be.

Once again, people see only what they want to see. 😉

All I know for sure is that most people in the Caribbean are not dressing like they used to 20 years ago and it's fine by me.

Dress up if you like but lately Princess doesn't force the issue like they once did.

Of course Princess doesn't "force the issue" of dress on formal nights . Few, other than Cunard, do. However it does appear, anecdotally, that more formal attire is seen more often on some cruises than on  others.

We had our first "formal night" last night on the Crown 28 day sailing. The vast majority had made at least some effort to elevate their everyday MDR attire. I was actually a little surprised how many gentlemen were wearing tux or dinner jackets. A  blazer or similar seemed to be more common. I did see a few gowns, but more ladies wore less formal long dresses or cocktail dresses, sparkly tops with dressy pants. Outside the dining rooms there were still a minority in t shirts and shorts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerseyShore said:

Yes, the dress code has softened…..BUT, baseball caps should not be allowed in the dining rooms.  Period

Not that myself or my husband wear one in the DR but really what difference does it make in the long run? Some guys wear their cowboy hat--- which I've only seen one time. 

• Like 1