Formal nights on Princess Cruises

Belle Star

Dresscode pretty much is up to the Captain & Maitre D. In most cases a nice collared shirt & slacks decent shoes will get you in. Shorts at night are unacceptable in the MDR. Dress like you're going to a decent restaurant(not talking Capitol Grill, just a decent rest.) & not a flea market & you'll be fine. We do bring a sport coat & tie, but seldom wear the tie. Keith is more for the finer dress, but after a number of Oceania cruises, we've pretty much given up the formal scene. That being said we do enjoy those who DO make an effort to add style at times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JerseyShore said:

Yes, the dress code has softened…..BUT, baseball caps should not be allowed in the dining rooms.  Period

Agree. We like Oceania's style, which they call "Country Club Casual". This is mostly nice shirt(can be nice Hawaiian style) Nice slacks(no jeans)Nice shoes. Open for debate. Some have to wear sneakers due to foot issues, which is fine. We wear Sperry Gold Cup/Timberland types. We bring a tie & never wear it, but do bring a few sport coats to kick it up a bit, but that's us.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 4:36 PM, Potstech said:

Please show where anyone has said or is trying to,prevent anyone from dressing up if they want. No problem if you want to wear tuxes and or long evening gowns. But id Princess permits it then others should be allowed to dress in a less formal attire without being told to eat somewhere else or told they dress like the rednecks at Walmart. Or being told it is demeaning to be asked to sit next to them. It s a two way strett but some insist it is only one way or the highway.

Not sure how this happened, but this blog goes back a few years. Very strange.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Agree. We like Oceania's style, which they call "Country Club Casual". This is mostly nice shirt(can be nice Hawaiian style) Nice slacks(no jeans)Nice shoes. Open for debate. Some have to wear sneakers due to foot issues, which is fine. We wear Sperry Gold Cup/Timberland types. We bring a tie & never wear it, but do bring a few sport coats to kick it up a bit, but that's us.

We are good up to the "nice shoes" part. That means bringing two pairs of shoes. I do wear my dress running shoes. Traveling with a carry on limits puts strict requirements on what you bring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rbtan said:

Dresscode pretty much is up to the Captain & Maitre D. In most cases a nice collared shirt & slacks decent shoes will get you in. Shorts at night are unacceptable in the MDR. Dress like you're going to a decent restaurant(not talking Capitol Grill, just a decent rest.) & not a flea market & you'll be fine. We do bring a sport coat & tie, but seldom wear the tie. Keith is more for the finer dress, but after a number of Oceania cruises, we've pretty much given up the formal scene. That being said we do enjoy those who DO make an effort to add style at times.

This might have been the dress code on Princess prior to the Covid shutdown but the sure have now changed their attitude about what is acceptable. You'll see many guys now wearing them in the DR on casual evenings , like it or not. 

I haven't yet to see them on formal nights but even then just a pair of jeans and a Polo shirt were being worn on our last Caribbean cruise. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

This might have been the dress code on Princess prior to the Covid shutdown but the sure have now changed their attitude about what is acceptable. You'll see many guys now wearing them in the DR on casual evenings , like it or not. 

I haven't yet to see them on formal nights but even then just a pair of jeans and a Polo shirt were being worn on our last Caribbean cruise. 

Seen the jeans as well. If they are nice, I'm not concerned. It's the ratty looking ones that bring down the level of style. This is where the staff needs to enforce some standard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Seen the jeans as well. If they are nice, I'm not concerned. It's the ratty looking ones that bring down the level of style. This is where the staff needs to enforce some standard.

That's where it becomes an almost impossible task for all but the most flagrant jeans. I've seen some very nice ones and some that barely qualify as decent work pants. i.e. suspenders with a hammer loop.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My goodness people, be comfortable and do not let the CC fashion police attempt to dissuade you from whatever level of comfort you feel is correct. 
Tonight is “formal night” on the Island. I’ll be wearing my running shoes, black jeans and a tee shirt.
Those who decide their  level of comfort is mandated by their “need to impress” are certainly welcome to join me in the MDR. Their choice of attire will not detract from my dinner enjoyment. 
And there is simply no reason my attire should detract from theirs. 
 But alas, the nose-in-air crowd will surely rail against redneck heathens like me. 
To those I say, Enjoy Your Cruise!!!

Edited by Bobbiegentry
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I would confirm that it is still the situation in the Mediterranean that you will find more guests dressing up than in other world regions such as Caribbean.  Not to say a LS shirt and dress-style pants are out of place, but if you like to dress it up (either suit for guys or a jacket over shirt for guys), you will be far from alone.  I would say well over half were dressy to some degree beyond pants and shirt and I am not of the suit or jacket group anymore so not at all looking to bias the numbers.  Still gowns in play for some women, along with dressy dresses.  My wife prefers pants and LS tops or sweaters since the DR's can be cccccold.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I would confirm that it is still the situation in the Mediterranean that you will find more guests dressing up than in other world regions such as Caribbean.  Not to say a LS shirt and dress-style pants are out of place, but if you like to dress it up (either suit for guys or a jacket over shirt for guys), you will be far from alone.  I would say well over half were dressy to some degree beyond pants and shirt and I am not of the suit or jacket group anymore so not at all looking to bias the numbers.  Still gowns in play for some women, along with dressy dresses.  My wife prefers pants and LS tops or sweaters since the DR's can be cccccold.

What is an LS top? 

10 hours ago, rbtan said:

The staff is right at the door. If someone is unacceptable.. simply tell them to change into more acceptable dress. Jeans full of holes are not acceptable in any restaurant. I know the lower bar crowd is in full support of that, as you'll see in the up coming round of insulting comments.

Sound off -1,2

Sound off - 3,4

Lower bar crowd

Nose in the air crowd.

Who you gonna vote for?

Edited by billco
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2022 at 5:15 PM, NownZen said:

We are good up to the "nice shoes" part. That means bringing two pairs of shoes. I do wear my dress running shoes. Traveling with a carry on limits puts strict requirements on what you bring.

My husband has a nice pair of comfortable solid black shoes for daily use. He’s not a flip flop guy, and these are the shoes he wears to fly or walk about. He has an older pair he wears daily at home, and the same in new condition when we vacation. They work for “formal” night. 

Wearing a jacket for me is more comfortable than without. My iPhone and glasses slip nicely into the jacket inside pockets rather than bulging out in my jean pockets.

My chic/formal night shirts are comfortable too because I buy the right size!

It’s not rocket science, but then I couldn’t give a monkeys what other choose to wear on suggested dress code nights

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sabreline said:

Had to laugh at formal night 2 nights ago. In the elevator with a guy in a tux and his wife in a ball gown, 2 couples in pants and shirts and 2 in shorts and tees!

two celebrating an anniversary, two uncertain where this relationship is going and two who don't give a damn 🤣

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, sabreline said:

Had to laugh at formal night 2 nights ago. In the elevator with a guy in a tux and his wife in a ball gown, 2 couples in pants and shirts and 2 in shorts and tees!

You have to love that freedom of choice. 😀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sabreline said:

I love to people watch on formal (or whatever they are called on each line) nights. My favorites are the couples where the woman is decked out in a long formal gown and her guy is next to her in a short sleeved polo and jeans.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I love to people watch on formal (or whatever they are called on each line) nights. My favorites are the couples where the woman is decked out in a long formal gown and her guy is next to her in a short sleeved polo and jeans.

He probably gave her a choice. If you want me to to go on a cruise, fine, but I'm not dressing. You do what pleases you. ☺️

4 hours ago, sabreline said:

Two over dressed to make an impression. Two going to the buffet to avoid being judged for what they wear. Two going to the pool grill because they don't want to deal with all the drama.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

To me, that is disrespecting your wife/partner. My wife loves to dress up so I complement her attire accordingly. I have a background in men's retail clothing so I guess it's easier for me. 

• Like 2

Why do strangers try to insist others dress to conform to their ideals when the venue does not.  I dress to be comfortable and please only two people, myself and my wife.  All others have absolutely no influence on us. Why worry about what others think when they can do nothing about it.  I did not pay all this money for a cruise to worry about others thinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1