Better to book with a travel agent company or direct with cruise line?

lovebarbie

Please tell me your thoughts.... what is the pros and cons (if any) of booking a cruise for a group with a travel agent vs. booking direct with the cruise line? Thank you.

If you use the CC "search" feature, you'll find a zillion past/recent threads on "travel agent vs direct booking."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My personal preference is to book directly with the cruise line. I am a bit of a control freak and need to feel like I have a handle on every aspect of my bookings. I have used a TA a couple of times and was not comfortable with having to go thru the TA for every little thing. I have always been able to handle every thing/question/ issue by calling the cruise line, and I like the feeling of knowing it's been taken care of.

Please tell me your thoughts.... what is the pros and cons (if any) of booking a cruise for a group with a travel agent vs. booking direct with the cruise line? Thank you.

Using a travel agent: Pro: If you're lucky enough to have a really good agent, he/she will work hard to find discounts for you, get any applicable OBC for you, and maybe include a "freebie" or two, such as a bottle of wine, a tote bag, or some other goodie, all in an attempt to keep you as a (hopefully happy) customer. Con: Any and all changes to your booking have to go through the travel agent. Booking directly: Pro: If you're comfortable doing all of the research and handling the bookings on your own, then YOU are in charge of everything, such as finding and obtaining any OBC offers, upgrades (if available), making arrangements for things like a Meet & Greet for your group, booking excursions, etc. Con: Unless you're good at planning and organizing a vacation for a group of people, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Most TA's will offer perks not available to those who book direct. We have received through our TA everything from on board credits (higher amounts than we could get through the cruise line), paid gratuities and complimentary specialty dining.

While its true if you book through a TA you must go through the TA to cancel your booking, change rooms or re-book under a different rate, most other things can still be done directly with the cruise line : book excursions, book specialty dining, book beverage packages, schedule spa appointments and they will answer general questions for you.

I'd say book directly through a TA if you have no clue where to start. They will handle a lot for you, which can also be restricting. As all changes have to go through them.

I don't know if I buy that there are secret deals that only the TAs can offer. Many of those offers can be accessed by past members too.

The last cruise we booked was through the cruise line to pick up a $150.00 OBC. The next morning we called the online TA that we use and transferred the booking. We kept the OBC from the cruise line, received a matching OBC from the TA, $160.00 in OBC in lieu of the pre paid gratuities, would not give full pre paid grats because were on a 12 night transatlantic, and 1 specialty dinning night also added as a perk. That is close to $600.00 in perks, well worth the price of losing CONTROL of our booking.

I'd say book directly through a TA if you have no clue where to start. They will handle a lot for you, which can also be restricting. As all changes have to go through them.

I don't know if I buy that there are secret deals that only the TAs can offer. Many of those offers can be accessed by past members too.

It's not so much that there are "secret deals" as there are "added perks" with a carefully selected TA, which may (at times) be unadvertised and/or only available from a cruise line's "preferred partners" (their top selling TAs known to you by their designated/advertised status) and/or via a TA travel consortia with which the line may have a temporary it ongoing agreement.

For example: we prefer Oceania and use several TAs who are members of O's "Connoisseurs Club." Those members have access to rotating partner sales averaging a 4-5% discount on most fares as well as up to 15%+\- on upcoming cruises with remaining cabin inventory. Of the TAs we use, two belong to travel consortia, one of which has an almost ongoing relationship with Oceania that includes free gratuities.

The bottom line of all this is that the right TA can, in fact, save you hundreds to thousands of dollars over booking direct AND fix problems far quicker and easier than some phone rep or PVP who are low level cruise line employees.

Remember: that "preferred partner" TA may do millions in bookings while your purchase is a "rounding error." On his/her cell phone, the regional sales rep of your preferred cruise line is a "speed dial."

The last cruise we booked was through the cruise line to pick up a $150.00 OBC. The next morning we called the online TA that we use and transferred the booking. We kept the OBC from the cruise line, received a matching OBC from the TA, $160.00 in OBC in lieu of the pre paid gratuities, would not give full pre paid grats because were on a 12 night transatlantic, and 1 specialty dinning night also added as a perk. That is close to $600.00 in perks, well worth the price of losing CONTROL of our booking.

How do you transfer to a TA?

We used a TA a couple times. The last we had a very bad experience she wouldn't answer vm or email. She was constantly going on vacation or traveling for work. So we actually cancelled that cruise & rebooked with RC during a promotion. Have only booked with RC since.

I liked using a TA but next time would do lots of research before booking/transferring anything.

How do you transfer to a TA?

We used a TA a couple times. The last we had a very bad experience she wouldn't answer vm or email. She was constantly going on vacation or traveling for work. So we actually cancelled that cruise & rebooked with RC during a promotion. Have only booked with RC since.

I liked using a TA but next time would do lots of research before booking/transferring anything.

Depends on the cruise line. But, generally, an e-mail to a specified person or office in which you authorize the transfer will do it.

As I've mentioned in other posts, we most often book onboard and use the 30 day transfer window to "shop it around."

One other aspect is if air travel arrangements to the port are necessary or pre or post cruise hotels. A good travel agent can assist with flights and hotel recommendations and associated plans. In some cases, the cruise is only part of the travel plan.

I don't believe any travel agents will book flights (unless you pay a fee) as none of the airlines pay them a commission any longer.

It's not so much that there are "secret deals" as there are "added perks" with a carefully selected TA, which may (at times) be unadvertised and/or only available from a cruise line's "preferred partners" (their top selling TAs known to you by their designated/advertised status) and/or via a TA travel consortia with which the line may have a temporary it ongoing agreement.

For example: we prefer Oceania and use several TAs who are members of O's "Connoisseurs Club." Those members have access to rotating partner sales averaging a 4-5% discount on most fares as well as up to 15%+\- on upcoming cruises with remaining cabin inventory. Of the TAs we use, two belong to travel consortia, one of which has an almost ongoing relationship with Oceania that includes free gratuities.

The bottom line of all this is that the right TA can, in fact, save you hundreds to thousands of dollars over booking direct AND fix problems far quicker and easier than some phone rep or PVP who are low level cruise line employees.

Remember: that "preferred partner" TA may do millions in bookings while your purchase is a "rounding error." On his/her cell phone, the regional sales rep of your preferred cruise line is a "speed dial."

Maybe I should have been a little clearer.

My upcoming cruise is a 7-night southern Caribbean with Carnival. When I was first watching it, it was about $400-450pp. Then Carnival had a sale for past guests, and it was $299pp + $50 obc. I jumped at it.

My (admitted limited) experience with TAs in the past was that they would have still quoted me the $400-$450 price but maybe one does an OBC, maybe one did wine, maybe something else. They generally can not touch price. Perhaps it is different on luxury lines like Oceania. I can confidently say they would not have beaten the price I got. Most of the people on here touting all of the perks they get, are very subjective. Where is the comparison?

One person can come in and say they spent $800 pp and got wine, free spa service, $100 obc from their TA, and another person could have paid $500pp booking direct. Maybe an extreme example, but one nonetheless. Who got a better deal?

My upcoming cruise is a 7-night southern Caribbean with Carnival. When I was first watching it, it was about $400-450pp. Then Carnival had a sale for past guests, and it was $299pp + $50 obc. I jumped at it.

My (admitted limited) experience with TAs in the past was that they would have still quoted me the $400-$450 price but maybe one does an OBC, maybe one did wine, maybe something else. They generally can not touch price. Perhaps it is different on luxury lines like Oceania. I can confidently say they would not have beaten the price I got. Most of the people on here touting all of the perks they get, are very subjective. Where is the comparison?

One person can come in and say they spent $800 pp and got wine, free spa service, $100 obc from their TA, and another person could have paid $500pp booking direct. Maybe an extreme example, but one nonetheless. Who got a better deal?

Mentioning Carnival would have been a good idea. Many of the better/best TAs won't do Carnival bookings (unless perhaps for a large group). There's just not enough commission to make it worth their effort.

However, that brings up the important point about using "net daily rate" (instead of just cabin cost) in comparing cruise costs. Considering the value of included premium/luxury cruise line perks (e.g., air fare/air credit et al.) AND added TA rebate and/or tips/OBC, it can be a pleasant surprise to find out that some of the seemingly "expensive" cruises are no more costly than mass market offerings.

Bottom line: Do the math. Do the research.

I use the TA of a "big box" warehouse store. I first do my own research on what deals are available through the cruise line. Then I call up the TA, get the exactly same deal that is available through the cruise line - price and perks - and then upon completion of my cruise, the TA sends me a gift card for their store in the amount of about 7-8% of the cost of the cruise. Since I would be shopping at the warehouse store anyway, it's the same as cash to me. In addition, this TA has no additional fees for changes or cancellations which is something you need to check out with any TA that you are considering.

Bottom line - why miss out on hundreds of dollars of savings?

PS - One of the above posts mentioned a 30 day period in which you can transfer your reservation to a TA; perhaps it varies by cruise line - for Celebrity it is 60 days.