MSC Armonia Rams Dock in Roatan, Honduras

www3traveler

There is no "brace for impact" warning for passengers or crew, and I really doubt that the impact was significant for those onboard, as it doesn't appear to have damaged the ship much at all. Yes, they would have felt a shudder, but not like the ship was hitting a wall. The Captain could have sounded 5 blasts on the ship's whistle, but that is really to notify another ship that there is danger.

The water you see in the photo is not bilge pumping, it is what is known as "anchor washdown" which is used to remove mud and silt from the anchor and chain when retrieving them. I doubt that the ship took any damage that breached the hull.

The ship's azipods may not have reversed (swung 180*) when required, and the ship couldn't stop. Stopping the propellers would stop propulsive force, but would not provide any braking. Without knowing the harbor configuration, I can't say what options the Captain had, other than dropping the anchors to achieve some braking force, and whether they could have swung away from the pier.

The damage to the ship visible in the photo (I can't stream video with the internet onboard), is all cosmetic, and could very likely never be repaired for the life of the ship.

From the picture posted on the Roatan board it looks like hull breach right under the anchor passage.

view.php?pic=2qvh3li&s=9#.Ws1hPJch2Uk

And the reason that the itinerary may be off is the changes in cruises from all the ships moving from eastern Carib routes.

From the picture posted on the Roatan board it looks like hull breach right under the anchor passage.

view.php?pic=2qvh3li&s=9#.Ws1hPJch2Uk

And the reason that the itinerary may be off is the changes in cruises from all the ships moving from eastern Carib routes.

I can't find that picture, can you post a link?

Thanks. I don't think there is a hole there, even the small oblong black area. While much of this, particularly that right under the stainless cladding of the hawsehole, may require some frame renewal on the inside of the ship, most likely this damaged hull plating will remain until the next scheduled drydock. This is pretty common with ships, as long as the dents aren't very sharp, or very deep, any interior framing that is damaged will be replaced to match the "new" contour of the hull plating, and the hull itself will only need to be replaced at the next scheduled opportunity.

The stuff further back is definitely cosmetic. Can't say what she looks like underwater, they probably will need a diver survey before leaving. In that area, where she came to rest over the dock, the bottom is single skin, in way of the thruster rooms, so if she was holed there, these would have flooded. I've seen some gnarly bottoms on ships when they go into drydock. It takes a bit to actually poke a hole.

So who is responsible for this? The captain or the pilot that pulls the ship into port?

The Captain is always responsible. The pilot is an adviser to the Captain on local conditions. The Captain may grant "the conn", or the ability to give commands to the bridge crew, to the pilot, but the Captain retains authority and responsibility for the ship at all times, and has the right to relieve the pilot at any time. The pilot, since he is not a company employee is not allowed to operate any controls on the ship, he can merely give orders to the helmsman and the deck officer for propulsion changes, he cannot even change the range setting on the radar without asking permission.

Thanks. I don't think there is a hole there, even the small oblong black area. While much of this, particularly that right under the stainless cladding of the hawsehole, may require some frame renewal on the inside of the ship, most likely this damaged hull plating will remain until the next scheduled drydock. This is pretty common with ships, as long as the dents aren't very sharp, or very deep, any interior framing that is damaged will be replaced to match the "new" contour of the hull plating, and the hull itself will only need to be replaced at the next scheduled opportunity.

The stuff further back is definitely cosmetic. Can't say what she looks like underwater, they probably will need a diver survey before leaving. In that area, where she came to rest over the dock, the bottom is single skin, in way of the thruster rooms, so if she was holed there, these would have flooded. I've seen some gnarly bottoms on ships when they go into drydock. It takes a bit to actually poke a hole.

So the bigger issue is that she went through the dock at speed, dragging her anchors. The dock and mooring didn’t slow her down a bit. 55ccc093dd0d2ac616b30f183d7412e0.jpg

The thing that stopped her is that she grounded herself. That has the potential for serious structural damage.

This photo gives you an idea of the direction she was heading relative to the dock.

05fd31d76d9a9bf50736ed492b3a4d68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BirdTravels

Only depending on what the bottom is. If it's sand, there can be some wrinkling of plating and that's it. If it is rocks that were placed as "rip-rap" for the dock, and are rounded from years in the sea, again, maybe. If it is sharp rock outcroppings then there might be more damage.

I was just reading The MSC boards. Nothing on this ship's Roll Call has been posted since about 9:40 this morning. In the Forum sections someone posted that She would overnight tonight in Coxen Hole. They also were reporting that at least one Royal Caribbean ship has told its passengers they would not be docking in Roatan this week. The Getaway is supposed to dock there on Thursday. I have not heard their plans are.

Very sad for those depending on the cruise ships for a living especially since this may be the last week they are there before returning to their schedules-- Europe, Alaska, etc.

I believe NCL docks at different place in Roatan.

And MSC...well Armonia is not US based, so not sure how many cruisers participate. If it was Divina or Seaside this would be different.

I believe NCL docks at different place in Roatan.

And MSC...well Armonia is not US based, so not sure how many cruisers participate. If it was Divina or Seaside this would be different.

Actually, that is exactly the dock NCL uses. Was there on the Getaway last year in March (17) and I remember the shops and the steps that you see at the beginning of the video footage. There is a real nice coffee cart about 100 feet inland from where the ship made contact as well.

So who is responsible for this? The captain or the pilot that pulls the ship into port?

And likewise, the Captain might be getting credit for doing his/her best is keeping the ship from impacting at an even greater speed. For the angle and speed and the fact that anchors are already deployed, it is very likely a mechanical issue occurred preventing a controlled docking. That does not look at all like a case of carelessness, but instead a mechanical caused accident. We'll see.