Room Service on Silhouette Last Week

Fishkillbill

My wife and I need a little something in the morning, to take our pills. Last week on Silhouette, we ordered room service six mornings. Six mornings our order had errors.

We would order the exact things every day:

- two cups of tea

- one orange juice

- one V8

- lactose free milk (for my wife's tea)

- one cantaloupe

- English muffin

We would be missing something every time. No milk, no juice. I did figure out, when ordering a muffin, you have to write that you want some butter or jelly. Nothing comes with it. There is no place to actually write anything. You just have to write it across the form.

We did receive boxes of cereal a couple of times.

The sugar bowl was interesting. I guess there is no one filling these every day. It is the rectangular thing with the little packets of white, blue, yellow and I think another color. We use the yellow. We learned to hoard some packets when we could. Every day the assortment was missing a color or two, or three.

This was all with the form that you hang on the door knob the night before.

Because my wife got sick, one day I ordered lunch for myself. That was quite funny. The person on the other end of the phone could hardly speak English. I ordered a hamburger. I wanted just ketchup on it. After trying to explain and feeling I wasn't getting through, I stated that I wanted a bun with meat on it, and some ketchup. I received a hamburger, on a plate. No bun and no ketchup.

Edited by Fishkillbill
forgot something

My wife and I need a little something in the morning, to take our pills. Last week on Silhouette, we ordered room service six mornings. Six mornings our order had errors.

We would order the exact things every day:

- two cups of tea

- one orange juice

- one V8

- lactose free milk (for my wife's tea)

- one cantaloupe

- English muffin

We would be missing something every time. No milk, no juice. I did figure out, when ordering a muffin, you have to write that you want some butter or jelly. Nothing comes with it. There is no place to actually write anything. You just have to write it across the form.

We did receive boxes of cereal a couple of times.

The sugar bowl was interesting. I guess there is no one filling these every day. It is the rectangular thing with the little packets of white, blue, yellow and I think another color. We use the yellow. We learned to hoard some packets when we could. Every day the assortment was missing a color or two, or three.

This was all with the form that you hang on the door knob the night before.

Because my wife got sick, one day I ordered lunch for myself. That was quite funny. The person on the other end of the phone could hardly speak English. I ordered a hamburger. I wanted just ketchup on it. After trying to explain and feeling I wasn't getting through, I stated that I wanted a bun with meat on it, and some ketchup. I received a hamburger, on a plate. No bun and no ketchup.

Did you happen to address this with the Room Service Manager while you were still on board?

Oh my gosh, that’s funny. We did room service breakfast just once on our last cruise as we had an early excursion. It was not good, everything was cold and some items incorrect. We won’t make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since we like our food very hot we only order room service if we have a early excursion. We primarily order cold items; smoked salmon, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc. occasionally sugar or jam is missing but not a regular occurrence.

If I had the problems the OP had after 2 days of missing, incorrect or cold items I would have tracked dowm the person in charge of room service of the F&B Mgr.

I’m not a morning socializing type of person. We order room service every day, every cruise with few problems. Perhaps a few times we’ve received items not as hot as we’d like, but never cold or unacceptable.

Thanks for sharing your experience; I’ll also share mine.

After working for years in health care facilities, being a patient in one and traveling around a bit, I’ve learned how to order a a room service meal. You MUST stipulate everything you want: butter, jelly, salt, lettuce, tomato, mayo, etc. The people taking your order don’t know how you like it, or even cultural norms for common foods. Especially when you are traveling as they come from many diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Spell it out for them and save yourself some grief. Everyone wins!

I agree with previous poster that dissatisfactions should be brought up to appropriate supervisors who can intervene and assist in getting your needs met while onboard.

Hope you have a better experience on your next cruise!

It didn't ruin our cruise. It was kinda funny after a couple of days. As far as calling the Room Service Manager, it's pretty obvious that's where the problem is. Simple little things like having a procedure to have the sugar bowls filled every day. To me, that would be pretty much a "no brainer".

Edited by Fishkillbill

It didn't ruin our cruise. It was kinda funny after a couple of days. As far as calling the Room Service Manager, it's pretty obvious that's where the problem is. Simple little things like having a procedure to have the sugar bowls filled every day. To me, that would be pretty much a "no brainer".

Well, playing devil's advocate here, how would you know where the problem was unless you addressed it with him?

Did you bring it up on board? The room service supervisor last week is a great guy, who takes the job very serviously. We met him in February, and he is still on board.

Would you happen to have gotten the RS supervisor’s name? I’ll be on Silly in a couple of weeks and would LOVE to know...;)

Edited by Constance331
Grammar edit

I’ve had some mixed success with room service breakfast too. On the whole it’s been ok, but sometimes it really goes awry. I try to order on the card because I have more success than phoning and making myself understood, but not foolproof. I am not a fish lover at any time of day. Once I ordered sausages, opened the stainless lid all expectant like to come face to face with salted fish. Grey, cold, smelly salted fish:eek:

Phil

We ordered twice online on our March 11 Silhouette - once for breakfast and once for lunch. Both times we got a confirmation call within 5 minutes of placing the order. Both times the orders were on time and perfect. The lunch was better than the MDR.

Your problems must have been user error.

Would you happen to have gotten the RS supervisor’s name? I’ll be on Silly in a couple of weeks and would LOVE to know...;)
He was always at the right side of the 4th floor MDR at dinner time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you found the humor in it and were able to rise above. Resilience is the key,

Happy travels!

We ordered twice online on our March 11 Silhouette - once for breakfast and once for lunch. Both times we got a confirmation call within 5 minutes of placing the order. Both times the orders were on time and perfect. The lunch was better than the MDR.

Your problems must have been user error.

Yah, that must have been it, all my fault.

Maybe if you come across the Room Service Manager, you could ask him to have someone check the sugar bowls before the morning service. You know, the little white ceramic rectangular things like they have on every table in the buffet restaurant. Maybe something like, four white, four pink, four yellow and four blue.

Then, somewhere before delivery, someone look at the tray of food and see that it matches the order.

Not rocket science here folks !

If I am not mistaken, the sugar bowls remain in the pantry on the floor where your cabin is located. The food is sent up in a dumbwaiter and then the sugar, condiments, hot water ect is prepped in the pantry by the person who delivers your order( usually your room steward or asst steward).

On a 15 day Med cruise, we gave up on room service breakfast because "everyone" was ordering it and the poor waiters couldn't keep up with the demand. Our 6:45 time was delivered at 7:15 and sometimes later.

After 3 days of bolting our food so we could join our group in disembarking at the port, I made an executive decision to set the wake up call 1/2 hour earlier and we went to the buffet. We had a reasonably leisurely breakfast and still had time to return to the cabin for our post-prandial ablutions.

Sue

Maybe if you come across the Room Service Manager, you could ask him to have someone check the sugar bowls before the morning service. You know, the little white ceramic rectangular things like they have on every table in the buffet restaurant. Maybe something like, four white, four pink, four yellow and four blue.

Then, somewhere before delivery, someone look at the tray of food and see that it matches the order.

Not rocket science here folks !

If it upsets you so much just take your own. We always do - they're tiny and don't take up hardly any space. :)

A good possibility but you don't seem like you'd ever consider it. The online order worked perfectly but you opted for the 19th century method.

You must be right again. I didn't see where I could select condiments or select what sugar substitute I wanted on line. I didn't see V-8 on line either.

For lunch, I tried to order on line. I couldn't figure out how to order a hamburger with just ketchup. I guess I'm not that system savvy.

We disembarked Silhouette yesterday. Ordered room service breakfast on the first and second days of the cruise and both times some of the items were incorrect. One day two the coffee we ordered came not in a pot but in cups - half full and cold. Day one delivery was 45 minutes late. Day two was 45 minutes early. Calls to room service went to a message that said the call was important to them - then we were left on hold for five minutes before we gave up. A complaint to the concierge resulted in a call from the room service manager who apologized and said the mistakes were made because they were very busy. He suggested that we give room service another try but we decided that the OVC was probably a better option. Breakfast there was varied, tasty and we never had a problem finding a table.

Hot options on the room service menu included pancakes, sausages, bacon, omelettes, eggs, toast. We ordered those items but each of them was lukewarm when delivered.

Congratulations on getting your room service delivered. On my most recent cruise, the MDR maitr'd encouraged us to order room service breakfast on a busy early excursion day. We put the menu out, our room steward took it, and we NEVER got anything delivered. Luckily, our cabin was midship close to Cafe Al Bacio. Got 2 coffees and some muffins to go. By comparison, you did much better than us. I will never order room service again!