The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

Coming soon to the forum...

"I refuse to sail NCL because they don't have Coke." will be replaced by "I refuse to sail NCL because they don't have straws.".

LOL! That will work out...if they don’t have Coke, they won’t need a straw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seattle has banned plastic straws, and only uses the paper ones. They start out very stiff, and have a very weird mouthfeel. But if you don't drink your beverage super fast, that straw starts getting soggy, and bending, and basically you end up chucking the darn thing, and just go without it.

After the first couple paper straws, I just go without. Not worth it.

I agree...someone needs to invent a better recyclable straw because the paper ones suck.

We are doing Alaska this summer and will be bringing our own straws.

Just curious though. I'm all for recycling. As I understand it from watching documentaries on NCL on TV before, they and the other lines have amazing recycling programs on board for everything, glass, plastic, etc.

Just wondering though. What is the carbon footprint for the megaship you choose to sail on for thousands of miles?

:confused:

Yes, of course cruise ships burn fossil fuels and pollute. But that's only part of the problem with plastic straws. They are banned because they kill marine life (turtles, whales, dolphins, birds, fish, etc). As you can imagine straws used AT SEA pose a real hazard since they can easily fall or get blown overboard.

Just curious though. I'm all for recycling. As I understand it from watching documentaries on NCL on TV before, they and the other lines have amazing recycling programs on board for everything, glass, plastic, etc.

Just wondering though. What is the carbon footprint for the megaship you choose to sail on for thousands of miles?

:confused:

They might be doing it more to keep plastic out of the ocean. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of straws get blown overboard every cruise, I'm sure at least a few. Straws, and other plastic, are very bad news for marine life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

... they should ban paper flyers for the art auction too.
along with all the daily sales insert, spa promo & gift shop specials, etc. All that colorful printing can't possibly be cheap ... we routinely round file it without looking. Might as well save a few more trees in the process.

We don't do the UBP at all, straws or its substitute won't impact us.

The environmental aspect is a load of bull that many people will eat up and say "bravo NCL, way to go"! When in reality, it's just an effort on their part to save money. They are pooping on our heads and many people will say"thanks for the hat NCL". Always get a good laugh when I go into a restaurant bathroom and there's just a hand dryer that says "in our effort to go green, we no longer supply paper towels" or something to that effect. No, you just realized you can save a ton of money by not having to buy paper towels and replacing it with a machine that is a petri dish of bacteria waiting to get blown onto freshly washed hands.

When I was visiting Boulder, CO I noticed that there were recyclable stiff straws (not to mention cups) that SEEMED like plastic but would biodegrade. That would work for the frozen drinks, I'm sure!

Most likely they were hemp straws which are biodegradable. :cool: Hopefully NCL will replace their plastic straws with something like this otherwise we may have to bring a package along as I don't want to cart around a plastic one that I have to keep washing.

No straws is really a win win for the cruise lines. They get to look like they are making a difference and save money. This will do more than local zoos going no straw and will make a difference even if it’s not a big dramatic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the past two years I have been straw free. I don’t really drink alcohol (maybe one or twice a year). And I make sure on cruises to ask for no straw because I don’t want it to land in the ocean. I think this is a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They recently banned plastic bags in my town. There was of course much disagreement and about a 50/50% split for and against. About a year later and people have just gotten used to it. They tote their own bags when they shop. I laughed the first time I heard a rant about straws. At Dunks for an ice coffee, you get a plastic cup and straw, half the time they throw a styrofoam cup on (which you are supposed to save to recycle at the once a year styrofoam recycling event, yeah, right), and if you get more than one they throw in a carrying tray. The straw is the least of it! But they are very harmful to ocean life, and getting a nice reusable straw is not a big deal, so I am all for NCL’s new policy. I expect to see a lot of folks with a reusable straw stuck behind their ear! Or bring a bag of paper ones from the dollar store.