The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

Can I ask why? For years we mostly drank our drinks without straws, now everyone seems to think we need a straw or we will get sick, lose our toe nail or some such thing. :confused:

I can’t answer for Moby, but at home my beverages are refrigerated and I don’t need ice cubes. When I’m out, my soda or water requires them in order to be cold. But getting a nice mouthful of the drink is difficult if ice is in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Straws are of a size where they are consumed by marine life. Once lodged in their digestive systems they die. While any disposable, single use item is wasteful and a huge contributor to pollution, a focus has been on straws lately due to their size. I doubt paper cups are killing birds and fish because they are too large to be consumed by most marine life.

Here we go, a new one. You just can't reason with these people. Now the straws must be banned because they are small and "edible" to some animals.

Well, if an animal is dumb enough to eat a straw and die, it does not deserve to live. It's called natural selection. After all you don't see birds eating rusty nails because they look like worms or stones because they look like bread sometimes.

Besides, cruise lines are not supposed to dump garbage in the sea. So, there you have it, the solution. We have our straws, if we want them, and NCL helps the environment by not dumping their garbage in the sea. I have been cruising since 2003 and have never seen anyone dumping cups or trash in the sea. Why don't we concentrate our efforts on saving the planet from human population growth, from wars, from bombs, from banksters? That's where the destruction is happening.

Like one individual here said, "this is a start." A start for what? The people that talk to you about the environment only want to take your money and care little to nothing for the environment.

This straw thing is pathetic even if it really was to help the "environment." Thankfully they are not being banned outright like you want. I will use a straw with every one of my drinks that needs a straw. Besides that usage, I don't give a rat's behind about straws.

Am I really following a thread about:

1-STRAWS?

2- Best time to use a STRAW?

3- What different materials are used to make STRAWS?

4- How they should make paper STRAWS better?

5- Where to buy steel STRAWS?

I'm definitely looking forward to the future follow up thread...

"I left my stainless steel STRAW on the Star, NCL owes me $10. If you're on the Star, can you look for my steel STRAW, I'll pay you to mail it to me."

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Can I ask why? For years we mostly drank our drinks without straws, now everyone seems to think we need a straw or we will get sick, lose our toe nail or some such thing. :confused:

For years we used horse carts, for years we sailed the seas with sails and oars, for years we fought each other with swords. Can we revert to that as well?

1-STRAWS?

"I left my stainless steel STRAW on the Star, NCL owes me $10. If you're on the Star, can you look for my steel STRAW, I'll pay you to mail it to me."

That think where you start chuckling to yourself while you eat your toast and your family pokes their heads into the kitchen to see what mom’s reading and realizing you have no good way to explain that you’ve read 11 pages on straws.

Confirmed! Breakaway this week did not have many straws. Yes for frozen drinks, but all others no straws. Pretty cool, NCL!

Yep, that increase in the compulsory gratuities is also to save the planet. You would prolly believe that if only to make you feel good about yourself.

Go NCL! Nickle and Dime me, but make me feel good about it.

Yep, that increase in the compulsory gratuities is also to save the planet. You would prolly believe that if only to make you feel good about yourself.

I just knew gratuities was going to rear its ugly head in this discussion. Let's see if someone brings the no bringing outside cases of water up.

The NCL staffers who post here are going to take you seriously. :(

Thanks for nothing :)

"Lighten up, Francis."

They serve drinks in single use plastic cups but the straw is the bad guy?

I’ll happily take my long drinks straw free but you can’t drink a mudslide without a straw!

As long as they are available “by request” I’m fine with that

:'):'):'):')

I can’t stop following it now. How embarrassing lol

1-STRAWS?

I just read that NCL has taken an environmental leap forward and (mostly) banned drinking straws on their ships. I do not know this firsthand, I just read it on a different cruise forum. It will mean that my DH and I will bring reusable silicone straws (sold at Amazon and other retailers) to enjoy our upcoming Bermuda cruise on the Escape. I just want to congratulate NCL on this awesome move. Thanks for making one small but significant change toward making our oceans and planet a cleaner and safer place to visit on your awesome cruises. BYOS 4 UBP, people!

I for the most part drink Cabernet, no straw needed,\. For people that do use a straw, like frozen drinks etc why didn't they just switch from plastic to paper straws? Paper straws are still made.

Read my post after that. I’m talking alcoholic drinks especially frozen or craft cocktails like a mojito etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go, a new one. You just can't reason with these people. Now the straws must be banned because they are small and "edible" to some animals.

Well, if an animal is dumb enough to eat a straw and die, it does not deserve to live. It's called natural selection. After all you don't see birds eating rusty nails because they look like worms or stones because they look like bread sometimes.

Besides, cruise lines are not supposed to dump garbage in the sea. So, there you have it, the solution. We have our straws, if we want them, and NCL helps the environment by not dumping their garbage in the sea. I have been cruising since 2003 and have never seen anyone dumping cups or trash in the sea. Why don't we concentrate our efforts on saving the planet from human population growth, from wars, from bombs, from banksters? That's where the destruction is happening.

Like one individual here said, "this is a start." A start for what? The people that talk to you about the environment only want to take your money and care little to nothing for the environment.

This straw thing is pathetic even if it really was to help the "environment." Thankfully they are not being banned outright like you want. I will use a straw with every one of my drinks that needs a straw. Besides that usage, I don't give a rat's behind about straws.

Well the animals who survive because fewer straws get into garbage and into the ocean would have a few things to say about it being a start. The straws don’t get in just because ships dump their directly in the ocean so not dumping help like you think.

The fact that ncl is largely doing this for money reasons does not change the fact that it does help the environment which is generally considered to be a necessary part of life on earth and a happy cruise.

How do you know that NCL is "largely doing this for money reasons". From an earlier post:

Of course this will save NCL some money, but not an appreciable amount. They do not get their straws as a "package" from the distributors. The ships don't deal with the same kind of restaurant and bar suppliers that land operations do.