Learned something today about booking "unavailable" cabins

canadarocks

This might be common knowledge, but I've never thought to do this. So I thought I'd share what I learned today in case there are others who can benefit from it.

I wanted to book a cabin in a specific location on a 10 day cruise, but the Princess site was showing that none were available. The cruise I was booking is the first leg of what can also be booked as a 20 day B2B. When I checked the same cabin location on the 20 day cruise, the specific cabin I wanted WAS available.

I contacted my T.A. and she explained that Princess "saves" some cabins for their longer itineraries, but that she would call and see if they would accommodate my request. They did, and I got the cabin I wanted. :)

So don't assume that a cabin isn't available, even if it's not showing up on the website!

I've had the same experience but was told that the cabin would not be made available....that it might be "later" if not booked for the longer cruise.

That's exactly what my T.A. told me that Princess would likely say. I told her to explain that it was either that cabin (and that I would be putting down a deposit today) or none at all. Not sure if that made a difference?

That's exactly what my T.A. told me that Princess would likely say. I told her to explain that it was either that cabin (and that I would be putting down a deposit today) or none at all. Not sure if that made a difference?

Don't know as I was also ready to book. In our case it was an HA cabin, so that may have made the difference.

When a cruise segment can be booked multiple ways, then each way has an allocation of cabins. Trying to book it one way will show all the cabins allocated to the other ways as being unavailable.

I was on one princess cruise that could be booked four ways, so cabins were allocated among the four ways:

1) Embarkation port A to disembarkation port C, picking up passengers at a second embarkation port, B.

2) Embarkation port A on a B2B to disembarkation port D, picking up passengers at a second embarkation port, B.

3) Embarkation port B to disembarkation port C.

4) Embarkation port B on a B2B to disembarkation port D.

We book several B2B cruises in a row, and run into this all the time. It’s a real PITA, because, unless I book the minute cruise schedules open up, I’m not sure if a cabin is unavailable because it’s truly occupied or because it’s been blocked for logical (or single) bookings. And there’s no rhyme or reason to it either; I’ll make logical bookings to get the cabin we want and then for the next cruise, that cabin is only available for single bookings. And back and forth.

Well - she had one both days. We must be tough on her! :)

Actually I think the day she said she really needed it WAS 2 days ago!

Yesterday's was only half full. ;p

(And I'm glad I wasn't the source of recent frustrations (just past ones , I'm afraid)

Anyways, back to the original topic - thanks for the info.

We hope to book a segment of a World Cruise and if the cabin we want isn't available I'll ask "her" to check if it's just blocked for our segment or if it really is sold out.

This might be common knowledge, but I've never thought to do this. So I thought I'd share what I learned today in case there are others who can benefit from it.

I wanted to book a cabin in a specific location on a 10 day cruise, but the Princess site was showing that none were available. The cruise I was booking is the first leg of what can also be booked as a 20 day B2B. When I checked the same cabin location on the 20 day cruise, the specific cabin I wanted WAS available.

I contacted my T.A. and she explained that Princess "saves" some cabins for their longer itineraries, but that she would call and see if they would accommodate my request. They did, and I got the cabin I wanted. :)

So don't assume that a cabin isn't available, even if it's not showing up on the website!

You were lucky.