Is Celebrity's Food inedible?

It looks like there's not enough consistency and people are reacting to criticism like they know something isn't right with Celebrity like it used to be. I'm seeing more snack options and higher end dishes both on Princess. We're leaning towards a 5 Night on the Ruby Princess. That post on the previous page started out as a new thread because we've learned more and were giving the Celebrity crowd one last try to convince us otherwise, but someone complained that I made a duplicate thread, and so I'm back.

FWIW I'd remind you that most people that are happy with any purchase simply enjoy it and never write any more. People are most often tempted to write a review of anything when they are unhappy or disappointed. Make a decision and stop putting your faith in strangers. Whichever you choose there will be naysayers telling you you made the wrong choice. Both lines you are considering have loyalists and negative Nancy's. But keep in mind that both are successful cruise lines with successful bottom lines and both sail full of mostly happy passengers. Just make a choice and make up your own mind. You really can't go too far wrong. You won't know until you do experience your choice yourself what you like, and you may very well enjoy both. Stop agonizing and start enjoying.

I can eat that stuff like that anytime on land. What did you have for lunch today BTW? Some of the folks reading this might want to actually know the difference between the two cruise lines. There's folks that have never been on Princess before and are curious or people from Princess looking over the fence. You can see by the other comments that Princess is doing some things right and you might not like it, but that's why you're going after my diet.

Having been on Princess before I wasn't overly impressed with their food. I'm a bit like you in that I'm not adventurous enough to eat frog legs (poor frogs!) and weird snails and crap. My ex would go for those things just to spend my money, but some good chicken wings from Hooters is more my speed.

I'm still stuck on Doug and Cindy's claim that they are 'trying to ear healthier' by drinking Soylent. (BTW, did you know that stuff has been banned in Canada?)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_(meal_replacement)

Gross.

If you want to loose weight cut way down on your wheat and dairy consumption. Eat more fruits and vegetables.

The Naturopath I have been seeing has put me on a special diet that is low in glucose and had me eliminate certain foods my body can't handle (wheat, dairy, corn, vinegar, beef, etc.) I now am not allergic to smoke. I have lost weight. I go back in 2 months and get re-tested to see if I can eat some of the foods again.

He told me that 80% of the population shouldn't be consuming dairy.

FWIW I'd remind you that most people that are happy with any purchase simply enjoy it and never write any more. People are most often tempted to write a review of anything when they are unhappy or disappointed. Make a decision and stop putting your faith in strangers. Whichever you choose there will be naysayers telling you you made the wrong choice. Both lines you are considering have loyalists and negative Nancy's. But keep in mind that both are successful cruise lines with successful bottom lines and both sail full of mostly happy passengers. Just make a choice and make up your own mind. You really can't go too far wrong. You won't know until you do experience your choice yourself what you like, and you may very well enjoy both. Stop agonizing and start enjoying.

"negative Nancy's"

again, you are making a judgement call because I dared state an opinion...an opinion that you do not share that I am very entitled to....there are others here that say the same thing, "MDR on Eclipse has been the worst ever" of all our sailings on that ship...

according to you , anyone that does not share your opinion , is negative....I say that is a very negative way to think....

"negative Nancy's"

again, you are making a judgement call because I dared state an opinion...an opinion that you do not share that I am very entitled to....there are others here that say the same thing, "MDR on Eclipse has been the worst ever" of all our sailings on that ship...

according to you , anyone that does not share your opinion , is negative....I say that is a very negative way to think....

I would suggest that you reread what I posted and substitute "Nelly" for "Nancy". That is a colloquialism for people expressing negative ideas and was not meant as a derogatory attack on anyone. It was used as the opposite of "loyalist" or "cheerleader". Sorry if you were offended by it. If you do re-read you'll find that I told the OP they will see both positive and negative reviews and that she can't make a mistake with either line. Both are successful and popular cruise lines that many find as pleasant ways to spend there vacations. Everyone is entitled yo make up their mind based on their tastes and experience. I don't know you and am expressing nothing other than what I wrote. We don't have to have the same opinion. I have spent quite a few days on Eclipse and enjoyed the MDR. You didnt.

We have had many sailings on the Eclipse over the years and enjoyed all aspects thoroughly. But not the last. Suggesting that perhaps things are changing. Hoping it is not so since we would still like to cruise with Celebrity and not have to pay for a suite to get good food in MDR. For the next couple of years we will try a different line where food is the same for all, regardless of your stateroom choice.

For those who will label this post repetitive, you are right it is. Please just skip it.

Over the years I have read many useful posts and opinions. Not to name anyone but several people have responded with credible posts offering factual information. The posters seem to be frequent cruisers on different lines and have posted many times on many subjects. Now it seems there are posters who have one negative obsession under the guise they are seeking opinions. I do not think they have succeeded in changing cruisers to abandon their chosen ships. I do respect their right to be continually negative.

Over the years I have read many useful posts and opinions. Not to name anyone but several people have responded with credible posts offering factual information. The posters seem to be frequent cruisers on different lines and have posted many times on many subjects. Now it seems there are posters who have one negative obsession under the guise they are seeking opinions. I do not think they have succeeded in changing cruisers to abandon their chosen ships. I do respect their right to be continually negative.

Where is the like button? BTW, did you register yet for the connections party for Silly?

Nothing wrong with oatcakes :D.

What's that expression? "One man's pleasure is another man's poison"!

You really know me very well ;-)

Re oatcakes - now if Celebrity had Staffordshire / Stoke Oatcakes for lunch they would really rule the waves ;p

If someone is going to not cruise on a certain Line because they’ve seen negative comments from some on the food, then I’d suggest they cancel all Ocean Cruises, all River Crslises, any traveling to foreign cities, and going to any local restaurants. Just a thought. I even saw a neagative review on Seaborne on their cusine. I think it was written by someone who’s ever been on the Line just for the fun of it, but you never know.

I noticed the OP said they are considering going on a 5-day cruise on another Line because of some of the negative posts on Celebrity dining. Heck, there are what, 15 pages and hundreds of posts on this thing? I’d think it would take 5 days to read them all.......kind of an unusual use of time, but what the heck, here I am posting again.

Den

"negative Nancy's"

Some people still have a chip on their shoulder over what you said and the consistency. It's the "Emperor has no clothes" type phenomenon. I haven't seen any of this on Princess or Viking Ocean or Oceania.

Inedible doesn't even mean everything like you said the Ocean Buffet was good, and probably most of the MDR was edible. I had food that I wouldn't eat on Carnival and Even Royal Caribbean, which also means it's inedible to me. We're all just trying to figure out the best bang for our hard earned dollars here folks!

With all due respect, it really seems like NancyShaw here is getting unfairly attacked because of her opinion about not liking the food.

I once ate at a buddy's home and his Chinese girlfriend made pork chops and rice. Well, the pork chops she served up were LITERALLY 80% PURE FAT with only a couple small sections of actual meat. So I only ate the meat portions and left all the fat behind while my friend's Chinese gal looked at me as if there was something really wrong with me. I explained to her that I didn't eat the fat from the meat, and she still thought that was very strange.

Fact is, her food that night was not edible to me. Period. But to her and my friend it was edible. Let this story sink in to some of you who are attacking Nancy for a moment. Some people literally love eating horrible things and think it's great, while others will think it's disgusting.

Gross.

If you want to loose weight cut way down on your wheat and dairy consumption. Eat more fruits and vegetables.

Hu? Soy, Sunflower, Beats, Vitamins and Minerals is gross Wheat and Dairy?

I was on a big corn dog and burrito kick for lunch, if we didn't go out for the Buy 1 Get 1 coupons at McDonalds. A health shake isn't so bad.

Fact is, her food that night was not edible to me. Period. But to her and my friend it was edible. Let this story sink in to some of you who are attacking Nancy for a moment. Some people literally love eating horrible things and think it's great, while others will think it's disgusting.

Don't give them ideas or they'll offer the "Nouveau riche Gristle" for $50 surcharge in one of the specialty restaurants.

I saw your post about Hooters. Is it any good? I would have to talk Cindy into letting me go LOL.

Having been on Princess before I wasn't overly impressed with their food. I'm a bit like you in that I'm not adventurous enough to eat frog legs (poor frogs!) and weird snails and crap. My ex would go for those things just to spend my money, but some good chicken wings from Hooters is more my speed.

Uhh. yeah. Escargot(your weird snails & crap as you put it)are really NOT expensive. Chix wings from Hooters? Really? You really need to get out a little more. As "Auntie Mame" would say: "life's a Banquet & most poor suckers are starving to death!"

Don't give them ideas or they'll offer the "Nouveau riche Gristle" for $50 surcharge in one of the specialty restaurants.

I saw your post about Hooters. Is it any good? I would have to talk Cindy into letting me go LOL.

Hooters: Wings/Boobs/sports.

Haha, yeah some cruise lines probably would start offering extra fatty meats while charging extra for it as a 'delicacy'!

Hooters actually does have good food! They have some other 'nice" things there too which makes it all the better, but I suggest you go without telling your wife unless she's not the jealous type. You do see a lot of women there with their boyfriends and husbands however. It's not such a naughty place.

I saw your post about the Soylent. Not knocking you, but you could make it cheaper and a lot better doing it yourself. There's also another brand called HUEL, which is better than Soylent, and another huge step above that is AMPLE drink which is better than 99% of typical American's dinners. But Ample is expensive. I was trying out some of these meal replacement drinks about a year ago to help save time, and that part is nice.

Uhh. yeah. Escargot(your weird snails & crap as you put it)are really NOT expensive. Chix wings from Hooters? Really? You really need to get out a little more. As "Auntie Mame" would say: "life's a Banquet & most poor suckers are starving to death!"

Hi Keith!

I do get out quite a bit actually, but thanks for the helpful suggestion in case I wasn't getting out enough ;)

If you were in the neighborhood I'd buy you a beer and chicken wings at Hooters, that is if your woman would let you go.

With all due respect, it really seems like NancyShaw here is getting unfairly attacked because of her opinion about not liking the food.

I once ate at a buddy's home and his Chinese girlfriend made pork chops and rice. Well, the pork chops she served up were LITERALLY 80% PURE FAT with only a couple small sections of actual meat. So I only ate the meat portions and left all the fat behind while my friend's Chinese gal looked at me as if there was something really wrong with me. I explained to her that I didn't eat the fat from the meat, and she still thought that was very strange.

Obviously, you've never had Pork Belly, have you? Do you like Bacon? Tell me, just what percentage of Bacon is fat? When you say "horrible" things, you truly seem to have NO culinary experience at all do you? Lobster/Filet Mignon/ Chateaubriand/Foie Gras/Sweetbreads/ Wagyu beef. Ever had any of those? Chix wings at Hooters? Seriously? Try Provence style whole chicken. Now that's chicken!

Hi Keith!

I do get out quite a bit actually, but thanks for the helpful suggestion in case I wasn't getting out enough ;)

If you were in the neighborhood I'd buy you a beer and chicken wings at Hooters, that is if your woman would let you go.

Well, actually my wife is a Chinese dude! So yes I'd have no problem. Never really cared for the food. Too much like Applebee's. You see, I'm part owner of a large food service bus. Places like Applebee's/Hooters/ the "99"/Golden Corral really make few items on site. Most is frozen & is often just reheated. Yeah, it tastes alright, but it's not made from scratch. We have a small chain here in the North East called Burtucci's Brick Oven Kitchen. most items ARE made from scratch. You like wings you say..If there's a Burtucci's near you, get their "Tuscan" wings. Now THOSE are the real deal.

What part of the country is hard to find chicken wings? I am willing to bet that most of the world would rather eat in your Ocean View Buffet rather than eat snails and frog legs up in the upcharge restaurants. I've been dealing with snobbery for over three weeks without complaining, but you folks don't seem to like it when the shoes on the other foot.

Eat adventurous and exotic all you want, but don't look down on us meat and potatoes peeps without considering that maybe your frou-frou dishes aren't all that special in other cultures.

Maybe the "Frou Frou" dishes as you call them are samples from different cultures. Frog's legs or Escargots(France) Scotch Egg(Scotland)Sushi(Japan)Hot dog & Hamburger(Germany & other places)It took the US to put both between a bun & call it by what we know them by. Most "American" foods originated somewhere else!