Is Celebrity's Food inedible?

Lol to my mind inedible means that you literally can't eat it not that you don't like it. very much.

Would agree. Inedible is Celebrity serving glass, metal and styrofoam for your dining pleasure. Not to my liking is serving raw/undercooked food, dishes I do not want/like, and food prepared in a fashion that tastes bad to me. :)

There are a comments out there saying that Celebrity's MDR food is turning inedible, and I've heard good and bad from peeps on board Oasis. Is this from cutbacks or are people not liking changes to the menu? We didn't love all the dining on RCCL either which owns Celebrity, but the Windjammer was great and we like having Johnny Rockets and the Dog House onboard for lunch. I hear folks talking up Celebrity like it's hot tickets but there plenty leaving for Viking Ocean and Oceania and Princess for better dining.

Lol, last week I had a discussion with a Princess loyalist who had just returned from her first Celebrity cruise. She said the Celebrity food was fabulous and was surprised that the food was better on Celebrity than on Princess.

Our first cruise was a 3-day Bahamas cruise on the Carnival Mardi Gras in 1992 not long before Carnival sold the Mardi Gras. The ship was old, but I remember the food being very good. Dinner was 7 courses, including a cheese course with several selections. Our first Celebrity cruise was a 7-day Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the beautiful Mercury. The food was was wonderful and the service was superb.

Yes, I agree that the food is not as good as it used to be, and you can tell that staff cutbacks have had an effect on the service. But, the cost of cruising is less in real dollars today. In 2003, we paid about $849 per person for oceanview rooms. Today, that same cruise on the Infinity in the same category during the same time would be $1749 per person, with 2 perks. We would choose the classic drink package ($385 per person), and the $150 per person onboard credit. That brings the "base" fare down to $1214 per person. When I did a dummy booking, there was an additional $500 discount, bringing the "base" fare down to $964 per person, much less in actual dollars than in 2003. In my opinion, that's a great value.

We can always find something we like to eat, and if we don't like what we order in the MDR, the waiter is always happy to bring us something else. Sometimes I will order 2 or 3 first courses instead of a main course. We usually will go to a specialty restaurant once during a 7-day cruise.

There was a great deal on AQ for our next cruise in January 2019, so we jumped on that. We've sailed in AQ once before (2011) and loved Blu, but I expect that it won't be as good in January as it was in 2011. As many have already said, we manage our expectations, and always manage to have a great time!

And BAM, nail hit squarely on head! Cruising today is WAY cheaper than it was in "the good old days" when you got 7 course meals and fancy high end dishes. You can still get that today if you shell out the same money (inflation corrected) as you did in the 80s, 90's early 2000s. Book a suite or eat in specialties every night. The cost will be about the same in adjusted dollars (probably even less). In today's competitive market cruise lines (and airlines) need to keep that base fare low. So they cut back where they can and make you pay extra for the upgrades. I remember my parents paying $500 for a round trip airline ticket to England for me in 1979. I can find prices nearly that low still today. Adjusted for inflation that ticket should be $1800. I just checked and I can get that flight for $700 on Delta if I stop in Vegas or $1100 direct.

And BAM, nail hit squarely on head! Cruising today is WAY cheaper than it was in "the good old days" when you got 7 course meals and fancy high end dishes. You can still get that today if you shell out the same money (inflation corrected) as you did in the 80s, 90's early 2000s. Book a suite or eat in specialties every night. The cost will be about the same in adjusted dollars (probably even less). In today's competitive market cruise lines (and airlines) need to keep that base fare low. So they cut back where they can and make you pay extra for the upgrades. I remember my parents paying $500 for a round trip airline ticket to England for me in 1979. I can find prices nearly that low still today. Adjusted for inflation that ticket should be $1800. I just checked and I can get that flight for $700 on Delta if I stop in Vegas or $1100 direct.

I agree, overall we're happy with where things are at. I remember the old Holland America ads in the late 80's/early 90's, offering 3 day cruises starting at $895. Now you can do a 4 day Bahamas cruise for $400, or a coastal for $220!

However, I see some dissatisfaction on the RCCL about the current food situation. With all these giant ships they're building, RCL almost has to lower prices to fill all the cabins, resulting in cuts to keep profitiability. As new Edge ships replace Millennium class, or add to, we may see some of the same.

However, I see some dissatisfaction on the RCCL about the current food situation. With all these giant ships they're building, RCL almost has to lower prices to fill all the cabins, resulting in cuts to keep profitiability. As new Edge ships replace Millennium class, or add to, we may see some of the same.

I thought the Edge ships were not going to be substantially larger (passenger capacity) than the current Solstice class (and less than Reflection). Or were you referring to a potential fleet wide, overall, problem of filling the ships? So far they don't seem to have to worry about sailing half empty.

There are a comments out there saying that Celebrity's MDR food is turning inedible, and I've heard good and bad from peeps on board Oasis. Is this from cutbacks or are people not liking changes to the menu? We didn't love all the dining on RCCL either which owns Celebrity, but the Windjammer was great and we like having Johnny Rockets and the Dog House onboard for lunch. I hear folks talking up Celebrity like it's hot tickets but there plenty leaving for Viking Ocean and Oceania and Princess for better dining.

We switched to Oceania this year & next due to the excellent food(which IS very important to us)Overall the experiences we've had on Celebrity have been very good. The S class ships are very nice overall. I kind of get the feeling you've NOT been on Celebrity. You really can't form a valid opinion of a line by only viewing other's posts. You need to try it for yourself.

Here's a roundabout answer. Recently DH and I went to a local fine dining restaurant with 3 other couples. We ordered 4 appetizers for the table to share. Some of the group dislike clams, crab or shrimp, others won't eat an onion or a mushroom. We ordered our own entrees, but about half of us ordered the same meat dish and the other half ordered a fish dish. We also ordered several desserts to share and ordered a few bottles of wine, one red one white. Even though we were eating the same dishes, there were varied reactions because individual tastes vary. I like my meat on the rare side, my friend gags at the sight, while I find well done meat dry and tasteless. My friend dislikes garlic, while I find it a wonderful addition to a dish. I think a dessert without chocolate isn't worth eating, my husband would rather eat ice cream and apple pie. I love cappuccino, while some we were with can't drink it in the evening. Some of us enjoyed the wine, others thought it only okay.

Summation: try it out and decide for yourself. You don't know anyone on these boards, so how can their opinions (my own included) matter. Celebrity ships sail full with happy passengers by and large. If I were wondering about a cruise line I'd look at that first, then ask someone I knew who had sailed it, with whose tastes you are familiar. That way you'll have a better idea of whether or not it's for you. Don't base your judgement on the anonymous posts of unknown strangers.

I just learned that we're getting hosed on RCCL with a $12.95 charge per person for Johnny Rockets. The wife and I decided that we're going to either try Princess or Celebrity next year, and go into it with open expectations. It looks like they both have buffets and not just exotic foodie options, but more of the American experience we're used to.

Okay...

There have been multiple threads started over the last week or so along similar topics as this. I have replied to some. I do think that some of them are suspect when they all quote a post about "inedible food." I find it odd that these similar themed threads pop up in multiples questioning a ship the previously mentioned poster referenced in their review. I hope the OP found info they asked for helpful and has made a decision, but I repeat what I said before (or maybe it was on the other thread). Celebrity is a successful cruise line with ten of thousands of repeat customers that sails its ships full. It caters (pun semi-intended) to people from countries across the globe and offers food choices varied enough to satisfy most passengers. Enough said.

We are sailing on the Eclipse right now on a Transatlantic and the food in the buffet and the MDR have all been excellent.

Who is the exc. chef? In 2017 it was a guy from Jamaica. The Maître D actually made him go into the MDR & address the complaints about poor quality. It was because of him we cancelled our 2018/2019 Eclipse/Reflection trips & did Oceania in Jan. & booked again for 2019. We're foodies & in the food industry, so food quality is more important to us than others.

There have been multiple threads started over the last week or so along similar topics as this. I have replied to some. I do think that some of them are suspect when they all quote a post about "inedible food." I find it odd that these similar themed threads pop up in multiples questioning a ship the previously mentioned poster referenced in their review. I hope the OP found info they asked for helpful and has made a decision, but I repeat what I said before (or maybe it was on the other thread). Celebrity is a successful cruise line with ten of thousands of repeat customers that sails its ships full. It caters (pun semi-intended) to people from countries across the globe and offers food choices varied enough to satisfy most passengers. Enough said.

Agree. The term "inedible" appears to be a lightning rod term. Many consider the word "inedible" with a very clear definition which is "not fit to be eaten". So there is a lot of reaction by these folks, me included, when a thread or comment uses that word to describe Celebrity MDR food as inedible. On the other hand, for some, "inedible" means "not appealing to their own tastes to a point where they would not eat it at all" which is subjective but valid to them. To each his or her own.

We found that to be totally true on the Eclipse...until our Jan. 2017 trip. I just can't believe the quality could be cut back so much in one year. We decided to give Celebrity a break & try Oceania. The Jan. 2018 Riviera cruise was outstanding. We cancelled our 2018/2019 Celebrity cruises for Oceania. Obviously more pricey, but all venues are part of the cruise, except Le Reserve, which pairs wine with each tasting course. Complimentary ILLY brand coffee & complimentary soft drinks & bottled spring water were nice as well. After 2019 we might go back to Celebrity, but we'll see how posters weigh in on food quality in the next year.

Edited by keithm
additions

Lol to my mind inedible means that you literally can't eat it not that you don't like it. very much.

My thoughts, exactly. But I tend to be 'literal' when reading so when someone writes 'inedible' I think of someone trying to chew shoe leather and finally spitting it out. Thus, if one knows, or thinks, food is going to inedible they really need to take a case or two of C Rations (or Meals Ready to Eat {MRE}) aboard for the cruise, which really makes no sense, right? This case being that I am NOT a 'foodie' and simply eat to live, not live to eat, thus I don't go on cruises for the food in massive amounts whilst fighting for copious amounts of nasty bacon in the buffet line. But, some of these threads are truly entertaining.

I thought the Edge ships were not going to be substantially larger (passenger capacity) than the current Solstice class (and less than Reflection). Or were you referring to a potential fleet wide, overall, problem of filling the ships? So far they don't seem to have to worry about sailing half empty.

Yes, I am referring to fleet wide, total cabins that will need to be filled. There are multiple factors, such as the economy, Celebrity's appeal in advertising, HAL/Princess/Virgin pricing, and potentially negative cruise news (hurricanes/poop cruises). It's impossible to know the answer to most of these factors, but the potential need for cuts is there, as have been done in the past.

As far as ships sailing half empty, no, but prices are set by today's market. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Edge class ships are at 0% capacity, but we'll see what happens when they get added to the fold.

I am always intrigued by those who claim to be "foodies". I have had great meals and poor meals in many places ranging from motorway service areas to 5 star hotels to cruise ships, food is what it is depending on your mood,time of day and ambience. I can honestly say I have never found anything so inedible that I did not at least eat some of it!

I'm on Eclipse right now - 15 nt. TA. The food is fine - some things I've liked and a few things I haven't. If I don't like it I get something else. We have over 1000 Elites on this cruise so a few things have been done differently - like drinks, which were loaded onto our card and could be used in the MDR. The Elite tea was held this afternoon in the MDR - not quite as nice as when it's held in The speciality restaurants.

This thread is a bit crazy. Inedible? By definition the suggestion that Celebrity food is not fit for humans to eat is nuts.

Celebrity serves good and sometimes excellent food. Its buffet is far better than most.

The problem is comparing Celebrity to the high end cruise lines like Oceana is also nuts. Those lines charge often twice as much. In a comparison to RCCL, HAL, Princess, MSC etc I think Celebrity will be at or close to the top.

We're taking a look at that Summit cruise in September. I won't pay $13 for Johnny Rockets anyways so it is down to RCCL buffet vs Celebrity buffet, and you folks say Celebrity is better. If we don't like it at least we gave it a shot. Cindy's parents are on her about eating a bit healthier so maybe we can try both. We'll let you peeps know afterwords how edible the food really is.

I am always intrigued by those who claim to be "foodies". I have had great meals and poor meals in many places ranging from motorway service areas to 5 star hotels to cruise ships, food is what it is depending on your mood,time of day and ambience. I can honestly say I have never found anything so inedible that I did not at least eat some of it!

Well, when you're the buyer & part owner of a multimillion dollar food service company, I'd say you have a bit more experience than the next guy. If you never had something so inedible you couldn't eat at least some of it, I'd say you've not been around food too much. If you're willing to eat undercooked fish with live worms in it, I'd be pretty impressed. As for myself I called the health dept.

This thread is a bit crazy. Inedible? By definition the suggestion that Celebrity food is not fit for humans to eat is nuts.

Celebrity serves good and sometimes excellent food. Its buffet is far better than most.

The problem is comparing Celebrity to the high end cruise lines like Oceana is also nuts. Those lines charge often twice as much. In a comparison to RCCL, HAL, Princess, MSC etc I think Celebrity will be at or close to the top.

I even find McDonalds food edible.....the rare times I eat it...

What type of food does someone eat everyday that they could find food on any cruise ship "inedible".. this all sounds a little first worldly and super pretentious.

Well, when you're the buyer & part owner of a multimillion dollar food service company, I'd say you have a bit more experience than the next guy. If you never had something so inedible you couldn't eat at least some of it, I'd say you've not been around food too much. If you're willing to eat undercooked fish with live worms in it, I'd be pretty impressed. As for myself I called the health dept.

I've been served some nasty stuff, but I've never had a worm crawl out of it. Not sure how I would handle that, but I sure as hell wouldn't eat it:eek: