Never saw a single dollar tipped on the MSC Seaside last week.

tallnthensome

Is that what you think it is? Bragging? Not seeing one dollar given to a single server or bar staff somehow becomes bragging instead of sad when compared to other ships sailed? All I can say is "wow" to that view of yours. I've seen bartenders on Carnival with handfuls of dollars and empty one's on MSC and people being defensive in making it that way. That's what I feel is sad. Giving a couple dollars to nice people is bragging? Sad you believe so ...... :rolleyes:

tallnthensome - Can I ask you to revisit my original post and then indicate where I have used the word "bragging".

In future, can I respectfully ask that when you quote a post, you do so in its entirety rather than a version edited to suit your own agenda.

Thank you.

People tip or not as a custom of their country. I'm form the U.S. and I do tip extra, but I don't begrudge those from other countries doing what they always do. My beef would be from the trolls that want to take away the DSC. The last time I was on the Divina, in 2015, I asked guest services for envelopes to give some extra tips, and was told it was not encouraged, and they have none. There were some in our cabin if we wanted to mail somebody, so we used them for the cabin steward and wait staff. We did it hush hush, so others couldn't see it. We're going on the Divina again next November, and plan to bring envelopes, and do it again. This is my custom, and mine alone.

Thats interesting... Last month on Seaside I asked the YC Concierge for some envelopes for extra gratuity (and I did state they were for gratuities)...gladly gave to me plus asked if I would like some stationary to leave a note.

You are correct. They had a box full of envelopes behind them and asked how many I wanted.

Thats interesting... Last month on Seaside I asked the YC Concierge for some envelopes for extra gratuity (and I did state they were for gratuities)...gladly gave to me plus asked if I would like some stationary to leave a note.

Thank you for the post.... I'm very happy to hear some of the passengers were removing these fees with guest services. maybe some members here who read about the stupid letters the company was posting on cabin doors for tip removal. It show some guest do understand that these fees do not belong on the guest accounts and should be removed on principles alone.

Huh..... What are you talking about??? Be careful here...Your opening up a big can of worms!!!

tallnthensome - Can I ask you to revisit my original post and then indicate where I have used the word "bragging".

In future, can I respectfully ask that when you quote a post, you do so in its entirety rather than a version edited to suit your own agenda.

Thank you.

It wasn't you, it was another poster but because he/she replied to you without using a finishing quote tag your name got attached to my quote to the person quoting you who never closed the quote ...... LOL!

It wasn't you, it was another poster but because he/she replied to you without using a finishing quote tag your name got attached to my quote to the person quoting you who never closed the quote ...... LOL!

Sorry, that was me I thought I was only quoting the relevant part of your post, I’m afraid I’m not very technical

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is just an observation and my opinion. The ship was at least 70% European and South American and tipping must not be something that is done to my dismay. I took $200 in singles and tipped a dollar for every drink, and even cash tipped for Venchi and gelatos. The staff/bartenders was so happy when doing so. I never saw one other dollar given by anyone else. I thought the bar service was fast and excellent ...... waiters/waitresses on deck walking around taking orders and even orders in the buffet with the call buttons. They tried very hard to please and were always pleasant. I thought they deserved a tip as their service was better than on most other ships I've sailed. If you want to make some workers happy on the ship, throw them a few bucks. God knows nobody else did ..... Just saying.

We hope it is OK to comment on the OP subject with a post from our thread. FYI, we had no idea that there was a continental or custom-based practice of tipping diversities until reading some of the comments in this thread.

Thanks.

Weighed in on "tipping" in a thread from our B2B in March on Seaside in YC (quote below).

We learned from responses that quite a number of other tipped as well.

We did see cash tips being given at the YC Lounge bar and YC Pool bar, but rarely.

We did get tipping envelopes from the YC Concierge, as did others.

We noticed very heavy (activity, con't know $ amounts) tipping of cash and/or envelopes along and hand shaking on the last sea day from breakfast through dinner all around the YC.

You're welcome.

Time to move on to another POINT - Other.

NOTE: Not complaints, just another aspect of the ship, cruise line etc. worth comment.

POINT - Other - TIPPING

Automatic Gratuities:

We're not big fans of the automatic gratuities, prepaid or otherwise charged. It is likely us, but we never seem to get a clear understanding of just WHO is getting the tip. Some tell us it's just a ROOM charge, but that it is shared by the butler, room attendant (worked her butt off every day, have never had a stateroom taken care of so well on any cruise ever), and the "back of the house" (explained by concierge as laundry and support staff and managers). There was no mention of WAIT STAFF when we inquired in that fee, and we were already aware of our intended Yacht Club (and other) tip plans.

So, maybe we have missed where this is detailed? Likely, a cruisecritic member has got the answer where, for MSC, and specifically Seaside, this information is. We believe "we" just missed it.

Yacht Club:

We, for the second of two B2B cruises 2017 and 2018, have been pleasantly presented with the circumstance that we need enough cash on hand for the B2B 'because there are SO MANY DESERVING staff that are to be tipped, and, SPECIAL ONES deserve even more.

Also, some that are routinely 'not tipped, for example, on most of our cruises, the bartenders got an 18% automatic gratuity that you paid even if you had a UBP, might need to be considered for tipping on MSC in the Yacht Club. We were 'told that the bartenders DO NOT GET ANY BUILT IN GRATUITIES and, as a result, in fact aren't 'thrilled with being selected to work in the Yacht Club (i.e., they can't make the tip money they would make about the ship elsewhere). We do not know if this is true, just what we were told by three of the most trusted YC staff for us for the two weeks.

SO - - Our plan:

1. Room Attendant - We tip weekly, at a rate of $10/day, as we would at a nice hotel or resort. In reality, the attendant we had on Seaside (I believe a long Czech name woman, tall, very nice), way WAY ABOVE the competition (including comparisons to other cruises, but also high end hotel and resorts, and even much, much better in all regards that at the Yacht Club at Walt Disney World). Should we have done more? Yep. Again, there is more to the story (so many others to tip).

2. Waiter (and Assistant) - We tip bi-weekly, at a rate of $100/twice a week for waiter. We had Arthur. Words do not explain how much he 'takes care of your trip with regards to ALL THINGS FOOD, "your food preferences," food execution, quality (advice, "no, don't order that, that is TOO DRY for you"), etc. A total pleasure to greet each meal, to try new wines and bubbly, and when you really believe, TEST HIM by asking him what our order will be. He usually was quite on the spot by mid-week of week one. And as you exit your meal, making sure you have a FULL GLASS of whatever you wanted before heading back down to the lounge, the pool deck or stateroom. His assistant was Siva (guessing, he came on quite a bit in week two, was not noticed in week one). Water, raw, dish of lemon wedges, no bread, take the bread plate and butter knife, new wine glass quite often, plates 'away, etc. Finally engaged in small conversation mid week week two. We tipped $30 for the second week.

There was some final cash the day before we left. Wife just felt like doing it. I don't know the amounts.

3. Butler, Concierge and Restaurant MTD - These individuals are so subjective as we believe it is based on our experiences with them should govern the tip (if at all), and not the mere position that they have. We found the Butler to be marginally involved with our cruise; although she was very nice when we saw her occasionally at Yacht Club venues. Almost never saw her once during week two. Week one $50, week two nothing. Concierge, a specific lady (long hair, engaging smile, smart, friendly, assists well), helped out the first couple of days getting our MSC apps updated (we booked the shows within hour of boarding), activate the WIFI for our 4 devices (she did two and I did two following her), getting advice on specialty restaurants, what nights were 'color nights at restaurants and 'meals that could be missed to try a specialty restaurant, daily paper recommendation 'for good old days, etc.). Week one $30, week two $30. The Restaurant MTD was very nice; unfortunately, we couldn't forget MARIO from Divina last year. It was not even close "for us," little to no interaction at all. Nothing either week. :o

4. Lounge and Pool Deck - Well, here is to expensive. Roy was both assistant butler that worked the Lounge and the Pool Deck. We really have never had a better service, or person, than what we had with him for two weeks. He had everything 'you wanted 'when you wanted it (or earlier, or later). Nobody can make me a HEINEKEN LIGHT, in a frozen glass, plus 5 ice cubes, squeezed lime and sea salt like I can; except ROY. If I switched up to red wine late afternoon HE WOULD GO THE RESTAURANT TO GET MY PREFERRED CAB that they didn't have at the Pool bar. Just over the top. $50 week one @ pool, $50 week one @ lounge; same for week two. Onil is 'the next Roy, but called a pool attendant. MSC will lose him to NCL because 'big companies are so structured they lose the ability to experience, see and measure talent that should be EXEMPT from all of the steps on the ladder based on TIME. $ame as Roy @ pool each week. Mohammed, we think, lives in the lounge. He's there all the time. Always happy. Always friendly. Service. Knew you, where you'd been or going from conversation day to day. Knew what you drank, when and how you liked it. $ame as Roy @ lounge each week.

A couple of the above got some final cash the day before we left. Wife just felt like doing it. I don't know the amounts.

5. General Others - Bartenders that we used (tall, young guy in lounge), servers in lounge (female, tall, friendly) pool chef (wow is that pool grille for real), and a couple of others hard to describe, got various denominations 'at will approximate to the time we 'notice them based on something they did and did real well. Even if it wasn't for us, but observed for others also.

We have no idea how this compares with anyone as we never discussed it at all with anyone.

Got a rough idea on the totals as we know what we took for cash and what we left with, so there are some that we missed in the above.

Seriously well worth it for the experience we had. Still believe it should have been more.

Tipping isn't an international thing because the 15% service charge is.

It is not a service charge, the Cruise Line wants to lead you to believe it is but classified and handle as Gratuities. Therefore as Gratuities must be voluntary and is removable. Which is a choice anyone is free to make.

Really interesting way many on these boards seem to define freedom. "You are free to post your opinions as long as you agree with my opinions." Sorry that is not true Freedom "Freedom is the right of everyone agree or disagree and to express opinions and views" Even if you disagree with them you need to respect the right to express opinions.

It is not a service charge, the Cruise Line wants to lead you to believe it is but classified and handle as Gratuities. Therefore as Gratuities must be voluntary and is removable. Which is a choice anyone is free to make.

Really interesting way many on these boards seem to define freedom. "You are free to post your opinions as long as you agree with my opinions." Sorry that is not true Freedom "Freedom is the right of everyone agree or disagree and to express opinions and views" Even if you disagree with them you need to respect the right to express opinions.

I agree with this. I pay the automatic gratuity/daily service charge/whatever you want to call it, and I really couldn't care less if you or anyone else pays it also. I think paying it is the right thing to do (for me personally) and if you don't, who cares. Not my circus, not my monkeys. If I spent my life trying to live how other people thought I should live, or God forbid how Cruise Critic members thought I should live?? That'd be a miserable life indeed. I find that the biggest problem with members here is they're always in somebody else's business. Mind your business.

I've not yet sailed on MSC but have cruised several times on NCL, As such, we choose their beverage pkg (UBP) and pay the 18% (Now 20%) gratuity added at time of booking it. We almost always cash tip upon ordering our drinks. It is always accepted with a smile and grace. It's our way of "knowing" that bartender gets a gratuity for their service with a smile. I plan to do the same on Seaside in June...

Ridiculous comment and thought process!! Strongly disagree. Next time you go on your cruise...just tell them you do not want your room serviced and you will eat at the buffet everynight.....It is clearly stated fees will be added to your account for Cabin and Dining service, etc. Yes you are free to your opinion...but I am personally appalled by your thought process and "Cheapness"...... assuming you do not tip at all!! Its individuals like you which started the automatic gratuity/service add on....because many began to skip out on paying dining staff and cabin stewards. Cruising used to be a luxury vacation taken by more affluent individuals...Once it became a resort at sea....with more ships which allowed the prices to drop and enable more affordable "sea" vacations....and the "average joe" was able to afford cruising. IMO...this has lead to the wide differences in people who leave gratuities and others who will pull their gratuities because 1) They can barely afford the cruise and/or 2) They want that excursion or piece of jewlery they see on ship or island.

Edited by lcpagejr

Interesting topic, as an Aussie I am happy with the 15% (or service charge) that goes to the staff. We leave/give an envelope with x dollars at the end of a cruise to those who we feel made our time extra special.

Always thought it odd how the Yanks tip the server or waiter, what about the poor smuck who washes the plates and glasses, or the guy that cleans the bar/toilets - they all help make your time at the bar/restaurant better but you tip the guy that carries the plate from the kitchen to your table or the guy that opens a bottle of Corona.

I know I will be flamed but from an outsider it looks like tipping has a lot to do with making the "tipper" feel good by dishing out dollar bills.

If it to supplement their poor wage why not tip the poor old dish washer for providing sparkling glasses and spotless plates.

The only ridiculous things here are people assume because some of us remove these fees it is to not tip or somehow get out of paying fees due. But that assumes the fees are due as has been point out many times optional fees our choice. Other things like the buffet are not optional they are covered by the contract. Sorry but one cannot pick and choose what parts of the contract to use and what parts not to use.

No one has any more right to tell anyone here what to do...... You because one doesn't like the outcome doesn't mean they can change it. So when you post " It is clearly stated fees will be added to your account for Cabin and Dining service, etc... " ...you need to include the rest which change the value of the statement " the fee is optional and discretionary".

Don't assume anything here it has a way of coming back around.

Ridiculous comment and thought process!! Strongly disagree. Next time you go on your cruise...just tell them you do not want your room serviced and you will eat at the buffet everynight.....It is clearly stated fees will be added to your account for Cabin and Dining service, etc. Yes you are free to your opinion...but I am personally appalled by your thought process and "Cheapness"...... assuming you do not tip at all!! Its individuals like you which started the automatic gratuity/service add on....because many began to skip out on paying dining staff and cabin stewards. Cruising used to be a luxury vacation taken by more affluent individuals...Once it became a resort at sea....with more ships which allowed the prices to drop and enable more affordable "sea" vacations....and the "average joe" was able to afford cruising. IMO...this has lead to the wide differences in people who leave gratuities and others who will pull their gratuities because 1) They can barely afford the cruise and/or 2) They want that excursion or piece of jewlery they see on ship or island.

Tipping isn't an international thing because the 15% service charge is.

Average service charge in UK is 10 to 15%.

France the service is included in the price.

In the USA we have seen suggested service any thing from 15 to 23% (the last figure was the n Key West Pre cruise).

The best we have seen was in New York where a major restaurant group have totally dropped the service charge as the owner says he pays his staff a good salary, one of his restaurants is the Gramercy Tavern.

We pay our daily service charge plus at end of cruise an extra $20 here and there to who we have had good service from eg MDR, room steward etc.

The people who are cheap are the ones who don’t turn up for dinner on the last night I have found!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting topic, as an Aussie I am happy with the 15% (or service charge) that goes to the staff. We leave/give an envelope with x dollars at the end of a cruise to those who we feel made our time extra special.

Always thought it odd how the Yanks tip the server or waiter, what about the poor smuck who washes the plates and glasses, or the guy that cleans the bar/toilets - they all help make your time at the bar/restaurant better but you tip the guy that carries the plate from the kitchen to your table or the guy that opens a bottle of Corona.

I know I will be flamed but from an outsider it looks like tipping has a lot to do with making the "tipper" feel good by dishing out dollar bills.

If it to supplement their poor wage why not tip the poor old dish washer for providing sparkling glasses and spotless plates.

Strictly as a cross cultural reference here, waiters in the States are generally paid a little over 2.50 an hour. The majority of their wages come from tips, from which they have to pay out the bartender based on a management set percentage of sales reciepts as well as the bar back. The dishwashers are paid in line with minimum wage laws, which are closer to 7.00 hour. Some of this might help explain why we yanks tend to tip service personnel. And also why we think stiffing those people is pretty heinous, they still have to pay their support staff based on register receipts, even when they don't get left a dime.

Strictly as a cross cultural reference here, waiters in the States are generally paid a little over 2.50 an hour. The majority of their wages come from tips, from which they have to pay out the bartender based on a management set percentage of sales reciepts as well as the bar back. The dishwashers are paid in line with minimum wage laws, which are closer to 7.00 hour. Some of this might help explain why we yanks tend to tip service personnel. And also why we think stiffing those people is pretty heinous, they still have to pay their support staff based on register receipts, even when they don't get left a dime.

Legally the employee of any sever paid $2.13/hr or anything less than federal minimum wage must make up the difference to bring them to the federal minimum wage. To be clear, I tip, both on land and at sea, but to perpetuate the rumor that servers in the US are legally paid less the minimum wage is a myth.

The last time I posted this as a response to the "legally servers in the US are paid less than minimum wage" argument a very annoying member here tried to move the goalpost and make up some new argument they were advocating for and I unwisely got pulled into that. For anyone who doubts what I'm saying, here are the receipts for the federal law that supports what I'm saying.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/wagestips

Again, I tip, however I do not care if you tip. It's not my money and not my business.

MSC Cruises is the world's largest privately owned cruise company company. It is the fourth overall cruise line in the World. And being a private corporation and not traded they need to release very little information. No reason for them to follow US or European wage rules. The ships are Flagged in Panama, they could be setup as a sub business of the company in Geneva.Switzerland, which is its headquarters.

Expat ... Not all the MSC ships are flagged in Panama! some are now Registered in Malta and the work rules of that country is what they would be working to, whether they are or not is a different matter.

Nikki ... There will be people who have bookings for the speciality restaurants on the last night hence the reason they would not be in the MDR.

From a personal prospective it is beyond time in this modern world that employers in the USA started to pay a living wage to their workforce instead of expecting them to rely on others to make up their wage.

From a personal prospective it is beyond time in this modern world that employers in the USA started to pay a living wage to their workforce instead of expecting them to rely on others to make up their wage.

This completely. Ironically, for those who follow aviation, this practice is exactly what the US3 criticize the ME3 & Norwegian of.

I'm not a great believer in tipping and certainly don't tip if all i think you've completed is what your job description entails. That being said i'm quite happy to tip if i deem your service to have gone above and beyond.

Of the cruises I've taken, only once have i removed the service charge. This being due to constant back and forth to reception to sort out an issue with registering my debit card to my room. I was in the Middle East, and MSC were arguing there were no funds to take the deposit, my bank....... after i called them, confirmed no-one (MSC or other) were attempting to take a deposit value, $200 i think it was at the time, and so my cruise card was cancelled time after time. Meaning i couldn't use it to access my room. I couldn't order a drink against the package id got ordered. It meant constant queuing at reception, and we all know what the lengths of their queues can be like, meetings with officers that didn't turn up (twice this happened) I couldn't solve this until I returned back to Dubai as the ship docked nowhere near a bank cash point.

I took lessons from this and now make sure I have enough dollar or Euros on me to be able to put down a cash deposit. So i shouldn't find myself in the same situation.

That so far is the one and only time i removed my portion of the rooms daily service charge.

Tipping for tippings sake is, in my view ridiculous, and being delivered a drink by a bar tender is what they are there to do. Does not require a tip. However, it is not my money to pass judgment over and so for those who would tip in this instance, go for it. Don't however class me as cheap because i haven't!

Expat ... Not all the MSC ships are flagged in Panama! some are now Registered in Malta and the work rules of that country is what they would be working to, whether they are or not is a different matter.

yes the two ships from 2017 are Flagged in Malta but the same type of rules apply and the ships can be leased to another part of the company which creates another paper lose.

You do know that MSC Cruises is part of Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A. (MSC), second largest container shipping operator in the World. With ships flagged in many countries. Because of this relationship they know how to hide and more money to the maximum benefit of the company.

But you are correct should have said most of the cruise ships flagged in Panama.

Average service charge in UK is 10 to 15%.

France the service is included in the price.

In the USA we have seen suggested service any thing from 15 to 23% (the last figure was the n Key West Pre cruise).

The best we have seen was in New York where a major restaurant group have totally dropped the service charge as the owner says he pays his staff a good salary, one of his restaurants is the Gramercy Tavern.

We pay our daily service charge plus at end of cruise an extra $20 here and there to who we have had good service from eg MDR, room steward etc.

The people who are cheap are the ones who don’t turn up for dinner on the last night I have found!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That used to be quite prevalent until autogratuities were introduced.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Legally the employee of any sever paid $2.13/hr or anything less than federal minimum wage must make up the difference to bring them to the federal minimum wage. To be clear, I tip, both on land and at sea, but to perpetuate the rumor that servers in the US are legally paid less the minimum wage is a myth.

The last time I posted this as a response to the "legally servers in the US are paid less than minimum wage" argument a very annoying member here tried to move the goalpost and make up some new argument they were advocating for and I unwisely got pulled into that. For anyone who doubts what I'm saying, here are the receipts for the federal law that supports what I'm saying.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/wagestips

Again, I tip, however I do not care if you tip. It's not my money and not my business.

Thanks for the information which is interesting from a UK resident.

Your forthright views on tipping are correct and it is up to everyone to do their own thing regarding tipping.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app