Second Thoughts About Flying?

jhannah

If we didn't fly, we wouldn't likely cruise. It's a long drive from the frozen tundra to Florida for any Caribbean trips, and our SUV doesn't have pontoons or a sail, so getting to Europe for a trans-Atlantic experience wouldn't be a go, either. If something disastrous does happen while we're on a flight and it means our demise, then I'd rather go on a holiday than be hit by a car at the edge of my driveway while taking out the trash.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

In a very unfortunate incident today, the left engine of a Southwest Airlines jet exploded in flight. Shrapnel was propelled through the airplane's skin and entered the cabin. One passenger lost his life.

Stuff happens. No doubt about it. This is an isolated incident in Southwest's excellent safety record. That being said, does this make you think again about flying to port, especially going over seas?

No absolutely not. Thousands and thousands of flights daily all over the world without problems.

I'm more concerned about what 60 Minutes reported on their show last Sunday about Allegiant Air.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/7lRYevF9XrpLqEXeHQJmBNTCbqc_onKC/flying-under-the-radar-closing-the-gender-pay-gap/

But the easy fix for that is simply not to fly Allegiant, which is exactly what the former FAA rep they interviewed recommended.

We fly frequently. Especially on vacation where it is not unusual for us to take multiple flights.

When it comes down to staying home or flying we wil always take the latter.

On balance, flying is very safe.

Prayers are with the family during this tragic time. I fly often, and think about the risk, but I will still fly. I'm actually fairly terrified on the highway and consider it a miracle when I arrive somewhere safely after all the traffic. It is very sad what happened on that flight and I can only think about how hard this must be for her family.

Prayers are with the family during this tragic time. I fly often, and think about the risk, but I will still fly. I'm actually fairly terrified on the highway and consider it a miracle when I arrive somewhere safely after all the traffic. It is very sad what happened on that flight and I can only think about how hard this must be for her family.

Well said albingirl

Thank you!

Denise:)

I dislike flying but it is a necessary evil. A means to an end. If you want to see a destination you need to get there first. To be honest, I don't even like driving very much anymore with all the nutty drivers out there...but it is just something you need to do to go where you want to go.

I feel the same way, although I would say I "detest" flying. I have a fear of heights and falling, also an ear problem that causes severe pain when I fly if I don't take antihistamines before the flight. Not to mention the hassle of flying now. But I love to cruise and see the world so it's a necessary evil.

A month after 911 our son got married and we had to fly across country to attend the wedding. People asked if I was nervous about flying after 911. I told them no more than usual!

While I don’t love flying, I don’t love sitting home on my couch wondering about far away places more. The “hassle” for me is minimal. I have TSA pre check and am through TSA in minutes. I refuse to only do a carry on unless it’s a short trip as I will not fight over overhead space with those space hogs. Let them have it, I prefer simple and happily pay the $25. plus I might throw out my back

lifting my bag[emoji33]. The seat size isn’t awesome nor is the food but times change. It’s not like flying back in the 60s and 70s but neither is almost anything else. Certainly fewer fatalities. I don’t know if anyone remembers the DC 10 out of Chicago crash in 1978? I was supposed to be on that flight but had changed it at the last minute. It flipped upside down after takeoff and crashed that way on the runway. Took me a while to get over that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A month after 911 our son got married and we had to fly across country to attend the wedding. People asked if I was nervous about flying after 911. I told them no more than usual!

I also flew 10 days after 9-11...to Switzerland. I was scared to death. But then I realized that security would never be more strict, so I calmed down. It went well, so it was okay.

First fatality in Southwest history- I'd say that is a pretty good record.

They are saying the crew of that plane did a geat job putting it down on t the ground

Does Quantas still have the best safety record ?

First fatality in Southwest history- I'd say that is a pretty good record.
And if the containment ring had held in the shrapnel as it should have the record would still be intact. It was a really freak incident. Edited by catl331

When cruising from US or Canadian ports I'll take Amtrak. Not exactly luxurious and not exactly cheap' date=' but for me it is a far better experience than the cattle herding process that flying has become. As for Europe and beyond, mooooo![/quote']

We have used Amtrak multiple times between Seattle - Vancouver - Seattle, and will use them again, despite the fact that Amtrak has had four accidents so far in 2018 alone involving fatalities. So there are no sure bets with any form of transportation. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Doesn't make it any easier to deal with tragedies like this one on Southwest which involves the death of a young wife and mother. I am grateful for every day I can stand up and draw breath, for I know my time here is all too short. "Media vita in morte sumus" ("in the midst of life we are in death").

I am booked on 2 Southwest flights coming up and have no concerns, although I may choose a seat away from the engines.

It always amazes me how we as humans worry about sensational things that will likely never happen to us - dying in a plane crash, getting attacked by a a shark, etc., but never think twice about the most likely cause of accidental death - car accidents. Over 100 people die every day in the US in car accidents, but most people never think twice about driving. Statistically driving to a distant port is much more dangerous than flying.

I am booked on 2 Southwest flights coming up and have no concerns, although I may choose a seat away from the engines.

It always amazes me how we as humans worry about sensational things that will likely never happen to us - dying in a plane crash, getting attacked by a a shark, etc., but never think twice about the most likely cause of accidental death - car accidents. Over 100 people die every day in the US in car accidents, but most people never think twice about driving. Statistically driving to a distant port is much more dangerous than flying.

This!

But the easy fix for that is simply not to fly Allegiant, which is exactly what the former FAA rep they interviewed recommended.

I've never flown Allegiant, but the bigger question I'm suggesting is, if one airline is "flying under the radar" of the FAA without oversight concern, how does one know other airlines aren't also? I'm simply suggesting deregulation opens the door to safety non-compliance.

The fact that metal fatigue has been determined to be the cause of the Southwest fatality, how do you know other planes are not also experiencing metal fatigue? And why did this particular Southwest airplane get to the point where metal fatigue killed a passenger? Don't you want to know the next aircraft you fly on is not on the verge of metal fatigue? How do you know the next airline you choose has an internal control process?

SMH.

Edited by winddawn

Getting to and from the airport is a larger concern of mine than the actual flight. This tragic incident surely does show the need to keep one's seat belt fastened when on a plane.

I always do....glad you said it....good thing for folks to do....keep that thing fastened unless you are going to the (very dirty) bathroom!

Yes, that definitely helped...she had a lot of good military experience.....probably saved a lot of lives!

she surly did stay cool and saved a great many lives. Well done . Of course, very sad for that young woman to have been lost.

I heard the tape of pilot speaking withe the tower and she was so calm Amazing.