Crime in Mexico

jsf

I did a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam back in February - Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV. Got off the ship in every port and did ship's excursions. When I wandered on my own, I stuck to tourist areas. No issues or problems encountered. If it's so bad, why are Holiday Inn, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. building new resorts and hotels in these cities?

Roz

. If it's so bad, why are Holiday Inn, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. building new resorts and hotels in these cities?

Roz

Dirty drug money has to be laundered to make it look legit and clean. Otherwise, all those bundles of cash are just a pile of useless funny money to the Mexican drug lords.

Dirty drug money has to be laundered to make it look legit and clean. Otherwise, all those bundles of cash are just a pile of useless funny money to the Mexican drug lords.

I thought that’s what Mattress Firm was for [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this for the 2018/19 season?

Or are you just reiterating something pertinent to some cruise you took years ago?

Only a current cancellation of a currently scheduled port or a near future scheduled port stop in Mexico would qualify as a port being cancelled due to safety issues in Mexico

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly. If you look at this Mexican Cruise Ports Itineraries you can see that PV, Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel, Mazatlan, Costa Maya and many others have ships arriving practically all year long. Some people just like to exaggerate.

http://crew-center.com/mexico-cruise-ports-schedules-2018

I feel sorry for the normal Mexicans who are just trying to live a normal life but does anyone go to Mexico anymore. Or if they do, do they get off the ship?

DON

The normal mexicans are certainly not all involved in the drugtrade (just like normal people in many other countries!). Yes tourism is still going on in many parts of the country. You will be surprised to see almost daily cruiseships in port in winter highseason) and thousands of tourists walking the streets/shopping, eating etc and enjoying their time.

Puerto Vallarta apart from the cruisehips e.g. has lots and lots of snowbirds also thousands...) each winter, people staying for some weeks or months and having a great (and safe) time.

The news about canceling stops posted elsewhere is old (yes fake) news!

It is a fair question in that even with deploying the army, Mexican government still doesn't have a good handle on these drug gangs. In fact, the situation just keeps getting worse year after year with no end in sight. Makes you think the central government is just weak, incompetence and not in control.

The same could be said here in the USA.

The same could be said here in the USA.

Is it? Other than in Hollywood films, do you see heavily armed US soldiers and gun jeeps deployed in US cities like in Mexico or have drug gangs shooting down a DEA helicopter with rocket launcher? May be in your neighborhood but definitely not mine.

Is it? Other than in Hollywood films, do you see heavily armed US soldiers and gun jeeps deployed in US cities like in Mexico or have drug gangs shooting down a DEA helicopter with rocket launcher? May be in your neighborhood but definitely not mine.

Do you often travel on DEA helicopters when on vacation?

I was primarily agreeing to the incompetence of government part. Also, as Roz noted, the USA has its own very well-documented troubled cities.

It is always so surprising to me that some people think that their own country is inherently safer than others. Especially when, in some cases, the stats contradict that notion.

Same here. I got A LOT of raised eyebrows before I went to Africa, mostly from people who don't travel off the beaten path.

NPR had a great piece yesterday about humans' not so great ability to analyze real risk.

Every country has its troubled cities and bad neighborhoods. That's not a secret. But what's happening in Mexico is closely resembling an armed insurrection waged by some very bold and heavily armed drug gangs against the government. That's not normal and very troubling.

First year we went to Thailand there were travel advisories. State Dept was telling folks to stay home. We communicated with a US expat who was living in Bangkok. What we saw on CNN etc, was not what he described. So we booked and flew out nine days later.. Had a such a great time, we returned for the next three winters. No issues whatsoever.

Exactly the same situation when we went to Greece and to Turkey during their 'troubles'. The only issue we had in our driving tour of Turkey's Med coast was a few cities where there were too many Russian tourists for our liking....too loud, too noisy, too pushy, and too many of them. One benefit was that hotels were all half price, we were warmly welcomed in so many different tavernas and hotels. Best time to travel. Plus, we were able to score Med cruises at unheard of rates for balcony cabins on a few very nice Celebrity ships.

Exactly the same when we toured South Africa by rental car five years ago. Never an issue, incredibly friendly people.

One does have to exercise caution, be aware of the surroundings, and remain in relatively safe areas. No different than when we do in Miami, NOLA, or LA. The one difference is CNN and a State Dept that is all about CYA.

There is no doubt that Mexico has domestic issues. Not denying that. But this hardly means that all parts of the country are dangerous for tourists because it is just not so.

Edited by iancal