Crime in Mexico

jsf

Not worried about Cozumel. It's an island and we've never had a problem. Also the policia are fairly visible there. Not sure I'd go into Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco anymore. But I always liked the Caribbean side better anyway. I would definitely avoid Cancun. Not sure about Costa Maya.

Worth keeping in mind: In Mexico, the crimes are basically "drug on drug" crimes; they really aren't interested in tourists; the cartels are dealing with big money, not a batch of visitors.

That's a direct contrast with Caribbean islands, which have a very high crime rate that is directed at tourists--everything from pickpockets to rape/assault, and even murder. Do a little research on the crime in the Bahamas, etc. and Mexico starts to look really good.

Worth keeping in mind: In Mexico, the crimes are basically "drug on drug" crimes; they really aren't interested in tourists; the cartels are dealing with big money, not a batch of visitors.

That's a direct contrast with Caribbean islands, which have a very high crime rate that is directed at tourists--everything from pickpockets to rape/assault, and even murder. Do a little research on the crime in the Bahamas, etc. and Mexico starts to look really good.

There is some crime against tourists in the Caribbean, as anywhere else. But not "a very high crime rate directed at them".......:rolleyes:

I live in San Diego and cruised to the Pacific side (Mexican Riviera) twice, but it was almost 10 years ago. I would not stop in Ensenada, Mazatlan, or Acapulco. Even Cabo is getting iffy outside the really tourist areas. As for the comment about the Bahamas, I spent a week there a couple years ago without an incident, and found the locals to be bright and accommodating.

Obviously, most people experience no problems in the Caribbean--if most had problems, no one would go. However, the U.S. state department does consider the area to be worthy of caution. They have, of course, issued warnings for specific areas of Mexico, also. But, unlike Caribbean islands, Mexico is a huge country: it is roughly equivalent to the area of Spain, France, Germany and Italy, combined. A warning for a specific city or area of Mexico does not compare in scope to a warning about a specific Caribbean island.

January, 2018

NASSAU, Bahamas — The US Department of State on Wednesday issued a level two travel advisory for The Bahamas, warning US citizens to “exercise increased caution” when visiting the country due to crime.

“Violent crime, such as burglaries, armed robberies, and sexual assault is common, even during daylight hours and in tourist areas,” the advisory reads.

“US government personnel are not permitted to visit the Sand Trap area in Nassau due to crime.

“Jet ski operators are known to commit sexual assaults against tourists, including minors. As a result, US government personnel are not permitted to use jet ski rentals on New Providence and Paradise Island.”

The advisory urges visitors to “avoid the area known as Over-the- Hill, south of Shirley Street, and Fish Fry at Arawak Cay in Nassau at night.

“Do not answer your door at your hotel/residence unless you know who it is. Do not physically resist any robbery attempt,” the advisory reads.

The State Department launched its new advisory system on Wednesday.

It provides levels of advice, ranging from one to four, for every country.

• Level one advises US citizens to exercise normal precautions when traveling.

• Level two advises US citizens to exercise increased caution when traveling. As it regards level two, travels are urged to “be aware of heightened risks to safety and security.”

• Level three advises US citizens to reconsider travel. “Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security,” the state department warns those planning to travel to such countries.

• Level four is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks, the state department said. “During an emergency, the US government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that US citizens not travel to the country or leave as soon as it is safe to do so.”

The department noted that the travel advisories will also provide clear reasons for the level assigned, using established risk indicators and offer specific advice to citizens who do choose to travel to those locations.

These risk indicators include crime, terrorism, civil unrest, health, natural disaster, time-limited events, and other potential risks not covered by previous risk indicators.

Republished with permission of the Nassau Guardian

Wow - this is really getting horrible. When on a cruise to Bermuda last October, we got an advisory in our stateroom regarding increased crime around the dockyard area. I was very, very surprised. Bermuda was always so safe.

This unfortunate turn of events only hurts the country, and if it continues, the ships will stop docking. Those that need the tourist visits the most are the ones that are the worst.

Sad.

The first time I visited Acapulco I thought it was 40-50 years past its prime. Saw lots of armed army and police officers. The second time, I wouldn't leave the pier just off the ship. I don't feel safe in Acapulco.

Jamaica and Belize, among others, are the same level as Mexico--but, again, they are tiny; Mexico's warnings are for specific areas. My point is that people fear traveling to Mexico because of adverse U.S. press coverage, but they happily go to Jamaica, Belize, the Bahamas, etc. because the U.S. press says nothing about crime on the islands.

Jamaica

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/jamaica-travel-advisory.html

Haiti is a level 3: reconsider travel

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

Belize

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/belizetravel-advisory.html

Costa Maya was fine, if a huge tourist trap with very pushy vendors.

won't go to any other major cruise ports. won't leave the pier area in Jamaica. would never pick an itinerary that has Haiti. mr spook deployed there and will never ever return

We usually do an AI vacation in the Cancun/Riviera Maya every year. Pretty much stay on the resort and relax, maybe do an excursion or two. Never felt unsafe. The Cancun airport has become very traveler-friendly. We always book a private transport right outside of the airport. We have consistently received the best service in Mexico. Personally have felt safer in Mexico as compared to Jamaica or the Dominican Republic.

What we hear on the news, we take as the standard. Like one "high profile" homicide, when in fact dozens of other ones happened at the same time, but we never hear about it. So is it that it never happened, or we just don't know?

Now don't get me wrong. There are a bunch of spots in Mexico you just don't go to. Cancun is no more dangerous than your big US cities.

Drug Cartel....logistics...Cozumel does not work for the drug lords to move drugs. Cancun, the drug killings are gang vs gang...Yes, there have been civilians involved...Especially during college spring breaks when street dealers work the beaches and bar..big ..sales times. Been to Cozumel probably 40 times, never a problem, been to Costa Maya 25 times or so, never a problem....it is a small fishing village (Mayahaul), again not on the drug shipping routes.