Sick after cruise

crazee4cruzin

To the OP,

I once got horribly sick after a RC western Caribbean cruise a few years back. I started feeling the tinge in the back of my throat on the last day and thank god it didn't really hit me until I was at home in bed, but damn did it hit me like a concrete block to the face. I just chalked it up the all the germs you come in contact with travelling.

We got off the Silhouette in March and my DH got a horrible cold with bronchitis- Unfortunately, I believe the airplane was the source. He started to develop the cold on the cruise. We are so careful, but especially on an airplane with recirculating air- things happen. We are just glad it doesn't happy on all of our cruises!

I went to Las Vegas for a big convention. I got home with the flu. I think I picked it up on my flight. My cruise was 10 days later. I cancelled my cruise. I am waiting to hear from my travel insurance about refunding my costs. The doctor said i should not travel for at least 7 days from the onset. I was too wiped out to go on my cruise and afraid i would pick up more germs. I was a responsible person and stayed home. I am going to be very upset if my insurance does not pay. Some people are responsible and stay home with their germs.

Sorry you got sick when you got home. It is miserable. I do appreciate the tips. I think this was a very bad year for flu, colds, etc. I wish more people would stay home when sick. On an up note - I rebooked for a cruise in the British Isles I would not have taken otherwise.

Maybe helped to catch the Bacteria.

Huh? Colds are viral, they are not caused by bacteria and despite the name "cold" have nothing to do with going from hot temperatures to cold temperatures or visa versa. It can be "caught" when someone infected with the virus sneezes/coughs in close proximity to you (and droplets enter your nose/mouth/eyes) or by handling items touched by an infected person (i.e. door knobs, handrails, elevator buttons, tongues or other utensils, menus etc), getting the virus on your fingers and then touching your mouth/eyes/nose without first thoroughly washing your hands.

We sanitize our sitting area on the plane. Before we touch anything in our cabin we completely wipe it down twice with Clorox wipes. We frequently wash hands and use sanitizer.

I am prone to URI's since birth. I perform nasal irrigation every day and twice a day when on a ship.....it works!

I’ve had luck bringing and using a new pillow protector. Crazy maybe but 2 cruises and no post illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually that is a pretty good idea. That very idea would have helped me avoid or reduce the atrocious bed bug attack I suffered in a major New Orleans four-star resort. I now have pillow protectors on all the pillows on my bed at home. I've been advised to do the same on the king-size mattress, but honestly trying to wrestle a protector onto a king-size mattress and seal it is just too much work.

Edited by Gangway Style

I got sick 2 days before the end of our Reflection cruise ending April 2. It was a severe sinus and ear inflection but not the flu. Still coughing after 3 weeks. DH never got sick!

I think no matter what you do for prevention just being around that many people in a closed environment will get you sick.

it's a week and a half since we finished our cruise and wife went to see the nurse today (regular appointment about her blood pressure) and mentioned about the persistant cough bringing up plhegm - and the nurse has given her some antibiotics so hopefully they work

We got off Reflection on April 2. A few days later I had Bronchitis and my husband pneumonia. He was in the hospital for 5 days. Did we catch a bad strain? Anyone else have an issue like this after cruising?

We were on your cruise and have all come home fit and well. We did mix with lots of different groups on board the ship and didn’t notice/hear of anyone complaining of colds coughs etc.

Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery.

No. The AC has a filtering system that the air has to pass through, also the air intakes are on the outside of the ship so it is n ot recycle air.

This can be a real possibility. The worst is probably Legionnaires Disease which seems to pop up somewhere every couple of years. The issue with the AC system is if the condensate doesn't flow out of the AC system and forms pools of water in the system. These pools of water can be the home of many forms of bacteria or viruses to grown and eventually infect people. Usually people with compromised immune systems are affected first.

Actually, about 80% of the air is recirculated in any hour, 20% is fresh outside air, and 20% is exhausted outside.

One of the requirements for the USPH for ships calling at US ports is to have sanitizing pads in the condensate pans to control airborne bacteria and viruses like legionella. I believe that the EU ShipSan program is similar in these requirements.

My theory, but not from personal experience since in 43 years at sea I've never gotten a respiratory disease, is that the AC dries out your mucus membranes in your nose, which are the first line of defense against aerosol infection. Use of a saline spray in the nose will keep these membranes moist and effective is the advice I've heard works well.

Since I began traveling with a personal humidifier (uses bottled water) I have found that I sleep better and do not wake up with a dry throat and nose. And I haven’t caught a cold since. I am in agreement that keeping the nasal passages moist is helpful in keeping that first line of defense healthy

Science doesn't lie.

You don't get sick by going from a hot outside to an air conditioned inside. You don't get sick from an air conditioner (with some rare exceptions, but then almost all the passengers and crew would be sick).

True. But when you are very hot and sweaty and suddenly you have a cold breeze blowing at the back of your neck (tour buses especially) and you can't easily get away from it, your neck becomes cold and before long you feel chilled and your neck and shoulders cold and stiff. Once your muscles are cold and stiff any bug you might have been exposed to seems to set in. I think it is like the excessive drinking and excessive eating weakens your body, so does getting chilled from air conditioning.

True. But when you are very hot and sweaty and suddenly you have a cold breeze blowing at the back of your neck (tour buses especially) and you can't easily get away from it, your neck becomes cold and before long you feel chilled and your neck and shoulders cold and stiff. Once your muscles are cold and stiff any bug you might have been exposed to seems to set in. I think it is like the excessive drinking and excessive eating weakens your body, so does getting chilled from air conditioning.

FYI the Earth is not flat. :rolleyes:

Since I began traveling with a personal humidifier (uses bottled water) I have found that I sleep better and do not wake up with a dry throat and nose. And I haven’t caught a cold since. I am in agreement that keeping the nasal passages moist is helpful in keeping that first line of defense healthy

Cruisestitch.....I have looked for a travel humidifier/vaporizer but have had no luck. What do you use?

My husband is continually using nasal saline solution on board a ship. He comes back healthy and it significantly reduces his snoring.

We disembarked the Eclipse last sunday. We both started getting some type of wicked respiratory stuff around day 5. We had it the rest of the 14 day cruise and we've been home 5 days and I still have it!!!!!!! BAD stuff!!!!

Was on same cruise and have been sick with bronchitis since second to last day of cruise. This is the 4th time I have returned from a cruise with cruse ship bronchitis, it's definitely a thing.

We recently returned from a land vacation in FL.

The trip involved flights and hotel stays. Mindful of the flu that was still a problem in late Feb. through early March,I started taking an extra dose of vitamin c a few weeks before we left home

I also took saline nasal spray on the plane and used it before and after the flights.

My DH and I did a good bit of relaxing at the beach and walking. We came home healthy and relaxed. On a cruise,

I think eating rich food and drinking more than a person usual does at home contributes to being affected by infectious germs. Also keeping up a busy pace without much relaxation can also contribute to catching a “ bug”.

I have thought about wiping down a hotel room or cabin with antibacterial wipes, but then had a thought- if the housekeeper or cabin steward comes to clean the room /cabin or do evening turndown service,would they bring germs into the cabin assuming they do not wear gloves or change gloves from one room/cabin to another ?

Or, when we return from touching surfaces out of of room/cabin and then we touch the light switch or door handle in the room/ cabin,would we be bringing germs into the cabin? With that thought of contamination,

I would have to be wiping down the interior many times during our stay.

Hand washing,sanitizer use, using forks and spoons to eat ,drinking water and getting enough rest have kept us healthy on our vacations over 30+ years.

Only once did my husband get sick on a cruise.

He had a sinus infection a few weeks prior to sailing. He went on antibiotics and the Dr gave him the ok to cruise.

After a few days on the ship, the sinus infection symptoms returned. Did he catch a new “bug” or was the original infection not totally cleared up?

Dr a n board could not say - understandably. With another course of antibiotics, he recovered.

We came back from Eclipse on Sunday morning. I had been coughing for about 36 hours and went to my doctor Tues. morning. My husband went today. We both have been sick with an upper respiratory infections and are on meds. This has happened on 3 cruises (out of 36) and it's the only time we get sick like this. One time I asked one of the officers and he said the air conditioning and changes in temperature do affect some people. It is a drag but won't stop us from enjoying our cruises. I agree with some people that the buffets are not healthy, especially the shared serving utensils.