Is the buffet at Half Moon Cay decent, or should we return to the ship to eat?

LongHill44

"the hamburgers & hot dogs were cold"

They are cooking the burgers on the grill right in front of you, how could they be cold? Just ask for a burger off the grill and not in the steam table.

On my recent visit to HMC, the burger patties were all only half cooked and still pink in the middle. Many people took one bite and threw the whole burger away. Drink stations were also running out of ice, lemonade and water after an hour or so.

"the hamburgers & hot dogs were cold"

They are cooking the burgers on the grill right in front of you, how could they be cold? Just ask for a burger off the grill and not in the steam table.

I assume you were quoting me. That's where the "QUOTE" button comes in handy. How was I supposed to know they were cold? It's not like I was chowing down right there in the buffet line. No, I didn't know until we found a seat and I took my first bite. Just because they are grilling burgers right there in front of us doesn't mean we're guaranteed a fresh one. I'm not a high maintenance type of guy, so demanding a freshly grilled burger wasn't my priority, but I still expected to get a hot one. I would've settled for a fairly warm one.

How come food is so important? Doesn't run my life ...I can actually have a good time without food

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Food doesn't run my life either (although I certainly enjoy good food), but I do usually need to eat something mid-day. For those with certain health issues food choices becomes even more important. Knowledge about the potential situation lets us be prepared and gives more options rather than showing up to unacceptable food options (which it doesn't sound like this is) and possibly having to cut the day short to return to the ship early.

My plan is a large breakfast on the ship, then just something light from the picnic if we get hungry.

I was at HMC last week - lunch was fine. We had burgers and salad, it was actually nice to not be completely stuffed after a meal. I definitely would not go back to the ship for lunch.

I would kill for a properly cooked burger with pink inside on any ship and circumstance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yum, yum. Sadly food safety requirements make this quite difficult to achieve in quantities large enough to satisfy most cruise ships.

I like a juicy burger but didn't want to chance it and spent the rest of my cruise sitting on my cabin toilet. There was also tasty fried rice to go with BBQ jerk chicken if I recall correctly.

" the hamburgers & hot dogs were cold"

LOL, true enough.....this place never gets boring.

I thought the buffet was pretty good. Plus, HMC is, in my opinion, the best beach of any private island. I can't imagine leaving that awesome beach to go back to the ship so early.

Agree on all counts....

Food doesn't run my life either (although I certainly enjoy good food), but I do usually need to eat something mid-day. For those with certain health issues food choices becomes even more important. Knowledge about the potential situation lets us be prepared and gives more options rather than showing up to unacceptable food options (which it doesn't sound like this is) and possibly having to cut the day short to return to the ship early.

My plan is a large breakfast on the ship, then just something light from the picnic if we get hungry.

Oh I know how that is....my grandson is 14 and type one diabetic! They plan ahead and try not to obsess about food.

FWIW, one of my two visits to Princess Cays had a significantly worse fly problem than anything I've experienced in probably close to 10 visits to Half Moon Cay. YMMV.

That's reassuring for me. I was shocked by the fly issue on PC and was hoping it wouldn't be as bad when we go to HMC later this year.

Hopefully something can be done about the situation on PC for future cruisers.

Why would anyone want to leave the island even for a minute? They have to drag me off!

Haha same here!! And not to hijack the thread but they are decreasing the amount of times they stop here. Total tragedy. I've even looked into HAL because they really own it. Ok anyways, the buffet is ok. The food isn't super great but the tendering takes so long I usually eat fruit and cookies. (Also, if you rent a cabana or villa you get a monstrous bag of tortilla chips and some salsa and guac. All I need :)