More fake service dog nonsense

The Queen Mary 2 is used as a cruise ship most of the year, and as an ocean liner part of the year. As I said, the line between the two is very blurry.

You are wrong again.

There is a sharp line between a cruiseship and an ocean liner and Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner.

That she (and not „most time of the year“) is used on other itineraries does not make her a cruiseship.

It‘s not the itinerary that makes an Ocean Liner, it‘s the design and the construction.

But go ahead and spread alternative facts....

Edited by Yoshikitty

Apparently he does.

And just so you know, my balcony faces the Atlantic Ocean about 5 miles south of Port Canaveral, one of Royals cruise ports.

I post pics of weather conditions, sailaways, and sometimes rocket launches.

These are things many people seem to be interested in.

I'm really quite the helpful guy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The sea views, Rocket launch, sail away and Bella pictures are amazing and Pauline and I appreciate them.

Actually, I'm pretty sure float away and roll calls add to your post count now. They didn't use to.

Anah just checked float away.

Doesn’t count.

What really puzzles me is some people’s obsession with post counts, not something I ever look at

Actually, I'm pretty sure float away and roll calls add to your post count now. They didn't use to.

Just posted on The last person to post wins floataway lounge thread and no post count increase.

Bobal - Your post is a little confusing. The post before your has a picture of a dog. The post before that encourages more dog photos. Yet you say Redsoxfan put it so well. Redsoxfan does not want to see dog photos.

So which is it??? :confused:

It's not the one directly before mine. I must have been distracted and took a while to post and that one snuck in.

But I think you knew that anyway ;p

John:

I appreciate you’re dog photos. Then I know the thread has run its course and can be put out to pasture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is often a sign. Kinda like Bikers horse.

You are wrong again.

There is a sharp line between a cruiseship and an ocean liner and Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner.

That she (and not „most time of the year“) is used on other itineraries does not make her a cruiseship.

It‘s not the itinerary that makes an Ocean Liner, it‘s the design and the construction.

Wiki describes it as a liner, Cunard on their site call it a Luxurious cruise ship.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

[url=http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/][/url]

I believe that some people are getting two different forums confused. There is a Floataway Lounge, and a few years ago a new forum called Friends of Cruise Critic was created. Some threads that used to be in the Floataway Lounge were moved to Friends of Cruise Critic.

I do not believe any of the Floataway Lounge thread add to your post count. I know at least some, and perhaps all, of the Friends of Cruise Critic threads do add to your post count. The Diamond/D+/P thread in the Friends of Cruise Critic forum does add to your post count. My post count jumped by about 800 when the California Cruisers thread was moved from the Floataway Lounge to the Friends of Cruise Critic forum. Since the Diamond/D+/P thread used to be in the Floataway Lounge forum, and now is in the Friends of Cruise Critic forum, some people may not be aware of the switch, and thus think that Floataway Lounge threads add to your post count.

There is a very simple way to find out if a thread adds to your post count. Check your post count, then post and see if your post count goes up.

You are wrong again.

If a ship is being used and marketed as a cruise ship, it is a cruise ship. When it is being used as an ocean liner then it is an ocean liner. The Queen Mary, which is docked in Long Beach, was at one time an ocean liner. It is now a hotel. If the Queen Mary is ever put back into operation as an ocean liner, then it will be an ocean liner. If it remains as it is, it is not an ocean liner, it is a hotel.

While the Queen Mary 2 is marketed and used as a cruise ship, it is a cruise ship. When it is marketed and used as an ocean liner, it is an ocean liner.

I believe that some people are getting two different forums confused. There is a Floataway Lounge, and a few years ago a new forum called Friends of Cruise Critic was created. Some threads that used to be in the Floataway Lounge were moved to Friends of Cruise Critic.

I do not believe any of the Floataway Lounge thread add to your post count. I know at least some, and perhaps all, of the Friends of Cruise Critic threads do add to your post count. The Diamond/D+/P thread in the Friends of Cruise Critic forum does add to your post count. My post count jumped by about 800 when the California Cruisers thread was moved from the Floataway Lounge to the Friends of Cruise Critic forum. Since the Diamond/D+/P thread used to be in the Floataway Lounge forum, and now is in the Friends of Cruise Critic forum, some people may not be aware of the switch, and thus think that Floataway Lounge threads add to your post count.

There is a very simple way to find out if a thread adds to your post count. Check your post count, then post and see if your post count goes up.

Yes, I was thinking of Friends of CC

You are wrong again.

I wasn't going to get into this futile discussion of "ocean liner" vs "cruise ship", but its just getting to me. If you look elsewhere than Wiki, the definition of "ocean liner" is:

"a passenger ship that travels on the ocean" (Collins English dictionary), and variants of the same in about 10 different dictionaries, some mentioning "routine schedule", which cruise ships have as well.

There is no "sharp line" between an "ocean liner" and a "cruise ship". Any Naval Architect can call his/her ship an "ocean liner" if they want to. The designer of the QM2 made some design decisions based on his philosophy of Naval Architecture as being required to handle winter crossings. That is that particular designer's decision. There are no "rules" for being an "ocean liner", and there were no design criteria or class society rules making one ship an "ocean liner" and another a "cruise ship". In international law, and in Naval Architecture, they are all passenger vessels. In fact, the designers of the QM2 had to get exemptions from certain SOLAS regulations based on the designer's decisions, not on being an "ocean liner". If the QM2's designer wanted to call the QM2 a "dinner excursion boat", there is nothing preventing that description being applied to the ship, since every word is accurate. Any cruise ship afloat today could be assigned to make year round Atlantic crossings, and are not restricted from doing so by their certificate of class, so they would be "ocean liners?" Whether or not the passengers would be comfortable in all conditions, and whether or not it would be economical to budget for possible repairs due to weather, is a different question, but not one of any "design rules".

The word "liner" only differentiates between ships with fixed routes and schedules, and "tramp" ships that go where the cargo dictates, with no fixed route or schedule. Both "ocean liners" and "cruise ships" fit the definition of "liner".

The term "ocean liner" is an anachronism from a time when there were no "cruise ships".

Well, I just posted on a thread in the Friends of Cruise Critic forum that I had never posted on before and that added to my post court. So, it appears that Floatway Lounge posts do not add to your post court and Friends of Cruise Critic post do add to your post count.

As I said, some former Floatway Lounge thread were moved to the Friends of Cruise Critic forum and thus some people who used to post in the Floataway Lounge and see their post count increase may not realize that the thread they are posting on is now in the Friends of Cruise Critic forum.

The Diamond/D+/P and the California Cruisers threads are examples of threads that used to be in the Floataway Lounge and are now in the Friends of Cruise Critic forum.

I wasn't going to get into this futile discussion of "ocean liner" vs "cruise ship", but its just getting to me. If you look elsewhere than Wiki, the definition of "ocean liner" is:

"a passenger ship that travels on the ocean" (Collins English dictionary), and variants of the same in about 10 different dictionaries, some mentioning "routine schedule", which cruise ships have as well.

There is no "sharp line" between an "ocean liner" and a "cruise ship". Any Naval Architect can call his/her ship an "ocean liner" if they want to. The designer of the QM2 made some design decisions based on his philosophy of Naval Architecture as being required to handle winter crossings. That is that particular designer's decision. There are no "rules" for being an "ocean liner", and there were no design criteria or class society rules making one ship an "ocean liner" and another a "cruise ship". In international law, and in Naval Architecture, they are all passenger vessels. In fact, the designers of the QM2 had to get exemptions from certain SOLAS regulations based on the designer's decisions, not on being an "ocean liner". If the QM2's designer wanted to call the QM2 a "dinner excursion boat", there is nothing preventing that description being applied to the ship, since every word is accurate. Any cruise ship afloat today could be assigned to make year round Atlantic crossings, and are not restricted from doing so by their certificate of class, so they would be "ocean liners?" Whether or not the passengers would be comfortable in all conditions, and whether or not it would be economical to budget for possible repairs due to weather, is a different question, but not one of any "design rules".

The word "liner" only differentiates between ships with fixed routes and schedules, and "tramp" ships that go where the cargo dictates, with no fixed route or schedule. Both "ocean liners" and "cruise ships" fit the definition of "liner".

The term "ocean liner" is an anachronism from a time when there were no "cruise ships".

Thank you. Now, lets start a discussion on the difference between a ship and a boat. :D

Why are submarines boats?

A boat is a vessel that can be carried on another vessel. Early submarines were carried aboard ships and so were named boats and the convention stuck.

Okay, how about the difference between a propeller and a screw? :D

In maritime parlance a ship that has propellers is a "screw-propelled motor/steam vessel". So, there really isn't any difference between a propeller and a screw, unless you are talking about a machine, wood, or self-tapping screw.

A boat is a vessel that can be carried on another vessel. Early submarines were carried aboard ships and so were named boats and the convention stuck.

In maritime parlance a ship that has propellers is a "screw-propelled motor/steam vessel". So, there really isn't any difference between a propeller and a screw, unless you are talking about a machine, wood, or self-tapping screw.

cool

If a ship is being used and marketed as a cruise ship, it is a cruise ship. When it is being used as an ocean liner then it is an ocean liner. The Queen Mary, which is docked in Long Beach, was at one time an ocean liner. It is now a hotel. If the Queen Mary is ever put back into operation as an ocean liner, then it will be an ocean liner. If it remains as it is, it is not an ocean liner, it is a hotel.

While the Queen Mary 2 is marketed and used as a cruise ship, it is a cruise ship. When it is marketed and used as an ocean liner, it is an ocean liner.

I'll give you the last word, but you are totally off.