Anyone do The Voice on Princess?

WAMarathoner

Also rather curious about this, so some additional questions:

- Do you get an invite to enter after dazzling at karaoke or can anyone enter?

- Are there bad “just for fun” singers who audition?

- What’s the usual caliber of contestants? (years of vocal training, or just carries a tune well enough?)

- Do you get coaching, and if so, was it useful?

Also rather curious about this, so some additional questions:

- Do you get an invite to enter after dazzling at karaoke or can anyone enter?

Anyone can participate in the "selection" round(s) by singing with a karaoke backing track. The audience makes their choices.

- Are there bad “just for fun” singers who audition?

Yes, anyone, some good some not so good. There is normally more than one selection round.

- What’s the usual caliber of contestants? (years of vocal training, or just carries a tune well enough?)

Usually there are a few very proficient singers, but not always.

- Do you get coaching, and if so, was it useful?

Those selected have to choose a shortened version of a couple of songs from a list of around 150. At the 1st rehearsal with the live band you sing your 1st choice Lead singers from the production shows may ask you to change your song for to produce a better show ( they don't want all ballads, or maybe the song is not right for you. If you have problems with phrasing, timing or other they advise you.

See above

Comment - If selected think of it as a show, not a competition.

Wondering if it actually turns out to be a singing contest, and approximately how much time it takes out of the cruise.

Thanks!

One karaoke tryout - 1 hour. You can go to more tryout sessions if you like.

Two rehearsals, about an hour each, with the live band, the second being in the afternoon of show day. Show day is usually the last evening of the cruise.

The show is about an hour, and you have to arrive around 15 mins. early.

It is a contest, but if you are selected think of it as a show not a contest.

Is it like real The Voice with blind auditions, battles etc?

No.....the “coaches” are really just judges. Like the show, they can’t see the singers at first.

After everyone has sung, the judges must choose one person to represent the team. The audience then choose one of the 3 finalists as the winner.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

I watched 2 nights of auditions in Club Fusion. They ranged from " OK" to "OMG Horrible". I didn't see the actual event itself. It's worth noting that you had to do your audition with music Princess had on hand. Those who wanted to use their own music couldn't do so. There was ONE song in Spanish so anybody singing in that language had to do La Bamba. You got a short portion of the song to perform and then they cut you off. It's also worth noting that contestants were allowed to audition both nights. If you wanted another song or to better your effort you just went again the second night. The winner was a guy who was obviously an Elvis impersonator as he always dressed, talked, and wore his hair like Elvis. I didn't find him all that good but he was the most "polished" of all the entries. I would imagine that those in the competition "showed" much better with the live musicians. (I would certainly hope so.) The actual event was shown as a simulcast in Explorer's so more people could watch. I think a lot of people really enjoyed it but, as we both finally caught the crud (not noro) that was going around, we spent the evening in the cabin. Fortunately it was short lived and we each only "lost" about a day and a half out of the 28 day cruise.

When we watched the crew show they told us that the crew had their own version of The Voice. Several of the crew members who had participated in that competition sang during the crew show and, aside from the fact that they had pronounced Filipino accents, my wife and I both felt they were much better singers than any of the passengers we had heard in the tryouts. (Of course, they did have the advantage of the live band.)

We were quite impressed with the quality of the guests on the last night. The worst of them was "pretty good" and the best was serious quality. I can't say that I agreed with the choices that the judges made as to who would represent their "team," but of the three finalists, I totally agreed with the audience selection. All of the last night performers obviously had experience. It wasn't the usual "bad audition" singing.