Carnival vs. NCL - All You Can Drink

salty dingo

Funny that Carnival makes the beverage package mandatory for all adults in the cabin (if any want it) but NCL makes the beverage package mandatory for everyone on the ship (if they want it or not!)

That's one way to fund the alcohol - spread it out over the entire population. Now if we can just figure out how to do that with health care :)

It wasn’t mandatory for everyone on the ship. Only to those that chose it. You were able to choose from 4 or 5 choices for the promotion. Inside cabin gets one choice, ocean view gets 2 choices, balcony gets either 2 or 3 choices, and suites get them all, I believe. We only book inside cabins, so we only get one choice, and always choose the UBP. The coffee in their specialty coffee area is only $1.95, so not concerned with paying that, and not having it included, as Carnival does.

The whole promotion is a gimmick and some are buying it. Hook, line, and sinker.
How so? I already gave examples how NCL's promo was a way better deal than Cheers. My 15 Day Panama Canal cruise for 19 only cost us $500 for the promo for my Wife and I. 15 day Panama Canal on Carnival is $1700 for Cheers. You don't think that is a way way better deal for a $1200 difference? The cruise itself is also $900 cheaper on the brand new Bliss vs the older Carnival Freedom. You call it a gimmick, I'll call it a deal. Apparently you aren't looking close enough and want to pay more . The NCL package was a major factor in deciding to use NCL for the Panama Canal over Carnival.

How so? I already gave examples how NCL's promo was a way better deal than Cheers.

I meant the REGULAR price is a gimmick. The promo is a legit deal, way better than Carnival's package.

The regular price is way overpriced, so when you accept the promo, you only pay a small percentage ($130 or so for 7 nights) to get the UBP. The gimmick is to set the regular price so high you still have to pay $130 service charge. It's all good, though. Regular price does not matter... just like at a department store.... you only shop there for the sales.

How so? I already gave examples how NCL's promo was a way better deal than Cheers. My 15 Day Panama Canal cruise for 19 only cost us $500 for the promo for my Wife and I. 15 day Panama Canal on Carnival is $1700 for Cheers. You don't think that is a way way better deal for a $1200 difference? The cruise itself is also $900 cheaper on the brand new Bliss vs the older Carnival Freedom. You call it a gimmick, I'll call it a deal. Apparently you aren't looking close enough and want to pay more . The NCL package was a major factor in deciding to use NCL for the Panama Canal over Carnival.

Totally agree! We loved it when we sailed the Getaway! The promotional price for just the gratuities on it is WAY cheaper that Cheers.

I meant the REGULAR price is a gimmick. The promo is a legit deal, way better than Carnival's package.

The regular price is way overpriced, so when you accept the promo, you only pay a small percentage ($130 or so for 7 nights) to get the UBP. The gimmick is to set the regular price so high you still have to pay $130 service charge. It's all good, though. Regular price does not matter... just like at a department store.... you only shop there for the sales.

My bad, I agree with you that the regular price is laughable ....... I bet the only ones who do it that way versus the promo do it by accident. There could be no other explanation.

My bad, I agree with you that the regular price is laughable ....... I bet the only ones who do it that way versus the promo do it by accident. There could be no other explanation.

Is promo always available?

The gimmick with the promotion is that the price is built into the cruise price. There is no free lunch or drink.

The gimmick with the promotion is that the price is built into the cruise price. There is no free lunch or drink.

That may be, but it is still cheaper then Carnival factoring in everything. I know it depends on the ship and itinerary but this is just what I am seeing right now.

Yep, promo service charge + increased fare = $200 pp. That's not free to be sure... but it's way cheaper than Carnival.

Is promo always available?

Its been my experience if you wait until after final payment, the promo is gone, and prices are less.

I dont drink much, so I wait until its gone myself. I prefer paying less for the cruise.

Celebrity doesn't add a gratuity on top of their perks, its included. Their classic bev package also includes waters and specialty coffees. Just throwing that out there.

like Ncl, Celebrity's prices are higher, but you not paying for a service fee. Well at least not an "extra" service fee :)

I finally convinced some friends to try Celebrity (yes, it costs more, but the S Class ships are gorgeous). The classic drink pkg was sufficient for our needs. They have no desire to go back to Carnival. They are heavy drinkers, but not willing to shell out for the Carnival drink package (finally figured out they were losing money on port days).

I'll admit we were all spoiled by the all-inclusive alcohol policy on the Norwegian Sky. We're going to give Norwegian another try this December. The UBP sealed the deal for them. Still, tax on a perk you're been given (paying for)! C'mon Norwegian, just call it the price for a drink package.

Jim

I finally convinced some friends to try Celebrity (yes, it costs more, but the S Class ships are gorgeous). The classic drink pkg was sufficient for our needs. They have no desire to go back to Carnival. They are heavy drinkers, but not willing to shell out for the Carnival drink package (finally figured out they were losing money on port days).

I'll admit we were all spoiled by the all-inclusive alcohol policy on the Norwegian Sky. We're going to give Norwegian another try this December. The UBP sealed the deal for them. Still, tax on a perk you're been given (paying for)! C'mon Norwegian, just call it the price for a drink package.

Jim

Im a few cruises from diamond on RCL, but it transferred to the top level on Celebrity, go figure, idk, but was nice to get top perks on Celebrity.

RCL and Celebrity you can transfer your level, whichever is higher to the other which is a nice perk in of itself. I took Celebrity to Hawaii.

I wish Carnival transferred to other lines they own.