No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

You're right, I'd rather discuss how nice the food was. This go round was absolutely awful. Food has always been Royal's strong suit, so having awful food for the first time in a lot of cruises gets a pass. Hopefully the next one will make up for it.
I have never had a bad meal on RC in 22 cruises.

The waiters always say if you do not like your meal we can bring you another.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Yeah, after you are half full then having to wait another 15 minutes to get another meal? Sometimes not worth the aggravation.

I find all the major American lines about the same for mdr

I’d put them like this

Celebrity/Princess/Holland

Royal

NCL

Carnival/MSC

Cunard in some reason had ok, but pretty unimaginative, boring menus in MDR. Buffet was amazing in quality though, although repetitive

Agreed!!! I could care less what the people sitting in the MDR are wearing. It does not impact my dining experience. For the busy bodies who complained (if the article is true), then I say there is something wrong there if they are impacted with how people are dressed and needed to complain to the cruise line. Somehow, i'm not 100% sold that this is in fact true. RCCL has to please every paying customer. There is a lot of competition out there and people will chose other cruise lines if attire is strongly enforced.

To each his own. I do enjoy dressing for dinner, as well as my family members BUT as with any other vacation, my husband wears khaki shorts (dress shorts), a button down top and boat shoes. To me that is proper attire for dinner on a Caribbean cruise. The "no shorts" policy again is vague and paired with tank tops. That leads me to believe that they are referring to athletic type of shorts or possibly denim.

People will never get over the dress code which is a shame. Just enjoy your vacation and let others be.

So does your family, or you and your husband cruise RCL often? What you described is exactly how my husband prefers to dress. He looks “nice” in his attire....not sloppy. Dressy shorts and a button up collared shirt, and nice Sperrys. Just want to make sure he blends in.

We sail in three weeks!:o

Today's Dear Abby sounds like a CruiseCritic MDR thread.

https://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2018/5/4/retired-husbands-wardrobe-is-too-casual

Poor guy can't be comfortable in retirement.

Very good answer by "Dear Abby." I wonder what he would say about his wife if he wrote to Abby.:p

Edited by nelblu
poor words program

So does your family, or you and your husband cruise RCL often? What you described is exactly how my husband prefers to dress. He looks “nice” in his attire....not sloppy. Dressy shorts and a button up collared shirt, and nice Sperrys. Just want to make sure he blends in.

We sail in three weeks!:o

That's perfectly in the norm, no worries.

That they did, like 5 or 6 times. No fault to the waiters though - they were as excellent as ever. They'd watch us cut the steak. A few times they took it away right after I cut it, since it couldn't have been any more raw if they forgot to cook it. Maybe they did.. Nonetheless, it was just an off cruise for us I guess.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

There is a huge difference between a man wearing nicely pressed khaki shorts, a collared shirt, and loafers...and a man wearing basketball shorts, a sweaty tank top, and Nike slides.

If you are clean, and dressed in clean clothing—aren’t wearing athletic wear or beach wear...I’m fine with it. I grew up in an upscale resort town—khaki shorts-sometimes with a blue blazer(bow tie optional!) - are the norm and welcomed in most upscale restaurants.(upscale- but not 4-5 Star-which RCI MDR is not) However...Athletic wear and tanks tops is not.

Just make an effort.

Obviously a sweaty shirt is just gross, but there's nothing inherently "better" about khaki shorts vs basketball shorts, or loafers vs sneakers, or jeans vs slacks, other than tradition and you just like the way they look better. So you actually do in fact care what other people wear. (Obviously people should be clean and practice proper hygiene, that's a health issue, I'm talking about fashion choices)

My point is people say "I don't care what anyone else wears", but what they mean is "I don't care what anyone else wears as long as it doesn't cross whatever personal arbitrary fashion standards I've come up with".

If someone doesn't care if I wear a polo and khaki shorts, there's no logical reason they should care if I wear a t shirt and basketball shorts. None.

Obviously a sweaty shirt is just gross, but there's nothing inherently "better" about khaki shorts vs basketball shorts, or loafers vs sneakers, or jeans vs slacks, other than tradition and you just like the way they look better. So you actually do in fact care what other people wear. (Obviously people should be clean and practice proper hygiene, that's a health issue, I'm talking about fashion choices)

My point is people say "I don't care what anyone else wears", but what they mean is "I don't care what anyone else wears as long as it doesn't cross whatever personal arbitrary fashion standards I've come up with".

If someone doesn't care if I wear a polo and khaki shorts, there's no logical reason they should care if I wear a t shirt and basketball shorts. None.

Agreed. I can say I would not personally wear gym shorts (or sweat pants) to dinner anywhere. I really don't care if others do.

I think the reason it keeps getting brought up, is that the main argument most use against shorts is because it immediately means to some thanks people will be going in ripped gym shorts hanging saying to their knees with a wife beater on. This seems to be the main argument against any kind of shorts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Edited by rukkian

Agreed. I can say I would not personally wear gym shorts (or sweat pants) to dinner anywhere. I really don't care if others do.

I think the reason it keeps getting brought up, is that the main argument most use against shorts is because it immediately means to some thanks people will be going in ripped gym shorts hanging saying to their knees with a wife beater on. This seems to be the main argument against any kind of shorts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately, there are folks on this board that are very traditionalist and will argue to the end with regards to shorts and anything that goes against the norms. Look what happened with RCL's intro of the Q class and the virulent complaints regarding the lack of "Promenade" and "Dynamic Dining" concept.

Unfortunately, there are folks on this board that are very traditionalist and will argue to the end with regards to shorts and anything that goes against the norms. Look what happened with RCL's intro of the Q class and the virulent complaints regarding the lack of "Promenade" and "Dynamic Dining" concept.
Great post I agree. I was looking forward to the new dinning option on Anthem until the cry babies and complainers ruined it. The same ones having a fit in this thread.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree. I'm always amused when someone basically says "I don't care what anybody wears as long as they don't wear XYZ."