No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

I think that as long as you are dressed and groomed nicely you should be able to eat wherever. In the evening I wear nice shorts/dressy womens and a nice top along with a nice pair of saddles. My hair and makeup are done as well. Men should wear nice shorts and a collared shirt. And groomed..shaved, hair appropriately styled. I've been to very nice restaurants, and usually those with the most money dress and look the worst.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

The day cruise lines require women to wear make-up is the day I stop cruising. You can look perfectly nice and clean without goop all over your face.

I think that as long as you are dressed and groomed nicely you should be able to eat wherever. In the evening I wear nice shorts/dressy womens and a nice top along with a nice pair of saddles. My hair and makeup are done as well. Men should wear nice shorts and a collared shirt. And groomed..shaved, hair appropriately styled. I've been to very nice restaurants, and usually those with the most money dress and look the worst.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Wait - now I have to shave while I'm on vacation to eat in the main dining room? And have my hair styled as well?

What I fail to understand is why is why do some folks consider it unreasonable to wear pants in a restaurant? Are these people THAT lazy? Do they never go to a decent restaurant on land? Perplexing.

I don't think it has anything to do with laziness...why is that automatically assumed?

I'm a "foodie" and always seek out nice, different, new, etc. restaurants on land. I match my dress to the restaurant, level of service, and food. I just don't think Royal's service and food call for dressing in pants. Nice shorts should suffice on casual evenings. Of course, the food and service is elevated in specialty restaurants and one should absolutely wear pants. And sure, some of their dining rooms could be considered elegant, especially Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class. But not Quantum class....they took that away and then scrapped that concept because people on here complained, just like they did to reverse this and Royal always gives into the complainers.

RANT WARNING

I don't care what the dress code is. I just wish that cruise lines would come up with a clear dress code, state it and enforce it.

I will then decide each evening whether I wish to comply with the dress code and dine in the MDR or go to the buffet. If I really hate the dress code, I can go to a cruise line that has a dress code more to my liking.

It's really not that hard.

RANT OVER - Thanks for listening

What I fail to understand is why is why do some folks consider it unreasonable to wear pants in a restaurant? Are these people THAT lazy? Do they never go to a decent restaurant on land? Perplexing.

What I find perplexing is the assertion that any decent restaurant on land is requiring long pants. Far from accurate. We routinely eat in high end restaurants here in Charleston, South Carolina ( a serious foodie kind of town) and I can only think of two that expressly require long pants. We recently returned from a trip back home to Chicago and dined in several fine dining establishments and folks were in shorts in each. While you may not like it, it is true.

RANT WARNING

I don't care what the dress code is. I just wish that cruise lines would come up with a clear dress code, state it and enforce it.

I will then decide each evening whether I wish to comply with the dress code and dine in the MDR or go to the buffet. If I really hate the dress code, I can go to a cruise line that has a dress code more to my liking.

Great rant! I agree 100%.

RANT WARNING

Totally agree

RANT WARNING

Listened and well worth repeating.

I will be on the Anthem today it will be 91 when we are on the ship 1st night shorts are OK I may or may not ware shorts any other night it kills me people have such a problem with this. If you look or don't look at what I'm wearing to eat in I DONT CARE and neither does royal for what I am paying for my room they will not say a word too me. And I am stickler about the rules and have seen many rules THAT ARE OVER LOOKED.That is as long as it doesn't effect YOU.

I think that the problem with shorts and tank tops, as has already been said, is that there is such a range in the style and appropriateness. Shorts can range from really nice pressed khaki's, etc... to jean shorts... to at worst athletic gym shorts. Tank tops can range from really nice women's business casual tank tops all of the way to sports wear, to white undershirts....

The same can't be said (to nearly the same extent) for pants, button down or collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses etc.

The problem is, if RCCL allows shorts and tank tops, then that whole range is included. I think that's the concern. Personally, I don't go into the MDR looking for how people are dressed, but those that are way under-dressed just naturally stick out like a sore thumb.

Dan

I think that the problem with shorts and tank tops, as has already been said, is that there is such a range in the style and appropriateness. Shorts can range from really nice pressed khaki's, etc... to jean shorts... to at worst athletic gym shorts. Tank tops can range from really nice women's business casual tank tops all of the way to sports wear, to white undershirts....

The same can't be said (to nearly the same extent) for pants, button down or collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses etc.

The problem is, if RCCL allows shorts and tank tops, then that whole range is included. I think that's the concern. Personally, I don't go into the MDR looking for how people are dressed, but those that are way under-dressed just naturally stick out like a sore thumb.

Dan

Good point. I have "shorts" that I wear with a short sleeved button up shirt, and then I also have "shorts" that I do yard work and go to the gym in.

Good point. I have "shorts" that I wear with a short sleeved button up shirt, and then I also have "shorts" that I do yard work and go to the gym in.

And when you’re not on the ship you manage to choose the appropriate ones for the activity you were doing. I think you can choose the appropriate ones for the ship as well. And I bet so Can 99% of other people. We don’t need to stupid proof this so much because of the 1% that everybody else should not be able to enjoy their vacation in a resort casual manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dan

How is that different than pants though? There are also different kinds of pants. Pants with rips, sweatpants, windbreaker pants and other athletic pants.

They could easily specify what type of shorts are acceptable. I know on Carnival it specifically says no athletic shorts. I have no idea if it's actually enforced.

How is that different than pants though? There are also different kinds of pants. Pants with rips, sweatpants, windbreaker pants and other athletic pants.

They could easily specify what type of shorts are acceptable. I know on Carnival it specifically says no athletic shorts. I have no idea if it's actually enforced.

+1 for ripped jeans.:D

Sometimes it's hard to tell short pants from long shorts...

Is "sagging" but with nice shorts ok?

How about if we follow the Vatican dress code. No shoulders shown on ladies and men's shorts must touch knees.;p

You're right, I'd rather discuss how nice the food was. This go round was absolutely awful. Food has always been Royal's strong suit, so having awful food for the first time in a lot of cruises gets a pass. Hopefully the next one will make up for it.

I would rather be discussing how nice the food was.

Dressing is a personal thing best left to the individual concerned.We personally take great pride in how we look but would never critisise anyone for how they look as it is a persons personality which counts.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app