No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

I've been married 44 years and my wife still impresses me. I guess I'm lucky.

You're not "lucky."

You have a healthy relationship where you and your wife actually put forth a little effort to make yourselves look nice for one-another. It's a good place to be.

Congrats on the 44, here's to many more! :)

If you want to wear shorts to dinner there are other places to eat other then the main dining room. I personally don't want to see hairy legs and arm pits at dinner. It is an appetite spoiler. Evenings that we have not felt we wanted to dress for dinner, we eat in the buffet. Please be considerate of fellow cruisers and follow the rules.

I would rather be discussing how nice the food was.

Dressing is a personal thing best left to the individual concerned.We personally take great pride in how we look but would never critisise anyone for how they look as it is a persons personality which counts.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Agree in part, however due to the suggested attire there is an expectation that people will follow the suggestion. That is why there are so may threads from people new to RCL asking if certain items of clothing will be accepted, or what to wear on formal nights.

Heard from another source that people on the cruise that John is on have been turned away whilst wearing shorts from the lounges and dining rooms. Not just at dinner but breakfast and lunch. I would guess there are a lot of embarrassed and annoyed people.

Agree in part, however due to the suggested attire there is an expectation that people will follow the suggestion. That is why there are so may threads from people new to RCL asking if certain items of clothing will be accepted, or what to wear on formal nights.

Heard from another source that people on the cruise that John is on have been turned away whilst wearing shorts from the lounges and dining rooms. Not just at dinner but breakfast and lunch. I would guess there are a lot of embarrassed and annoyed people.

I agree, people have ignored dress suggestions believing RC won't enforce them for some time and it must be a shock if they don't have sufficient smarter clothes with them to change into.

If RCI is enforcing a no shorts policy, they need to step up their food and service game. I'll "dress to impress" when they impress me. Until then, I'll continue to wear shorts on non-formal nights, especially on Caribbean cruises. As long as the shorts are nice and not ripped or vulgar, I really have a hard time understanding why people have such a problem with it.

I've sailed NCL more lately and of course they allow shorts. Never did I see anyone wearing anything inappropriate. The food was great and the service was amazing. Of course people will say, "oh go back to NCL then" Well to each their own, as others said. I won't say anything about how you dress if you don't about me, MYOB!

And those annoyed about it at breakfast and lunch have every right to be annoyed as it clearly states "shorts are welcomed at breakfast and lunch". They pull that on Jewel in 59 days and I will be at Guest Services with that page printed and that sentence highlighted.

If RCI is enforcing a no shorts policy, they need to step up their food and service game. I'll "dress to impress" when they impress me. Until then, I'll continue to wear shorts on non-formal nights, especially on Caribbean cruises. As long as the shorts are nice and not ripped or vulgar, I really have a hard time understanding why people have such a problem with it.

I've sailed NCL more lately and of course they allow shorts. Never did I see anyone wearing anything inappropriate. The food was great and the service was amazing. Of course people will say, "oh go back to NCL then" Well to each their own, as others said. I won't say anything about how you dress if you don't about me, MYOB!

We did see this rule enforced for one of evening restaurants on NCL. They usually have 2 or 3 MDRs depending on a ship. Jewel vs Breakaway classes.

We also saw this rule not being enforced.

Inconsistencies...

Whose expectation that people will follow a suggestion? So the waiter comes to my table, lists the specials and suggests that I have the lamb. I don't eat lamb but, according to you, I'm expected to? This doesn't make any sense.

What's the source? If the policy states that shorts are allowed for breakfast and lunch then people dressed in shorts for breakfast and lunch aren't being turned away - bank on that.

The reality is that more people dress casual than dress formal - and Royal knows this which is why formal wear is only suggested on the optional formal nights. Formal nights are just a way for cruise ships to make money on pictures.

If you want to dress formally then go ahead. But let's not start spreading misinformation and try to trick others (especially those new to Royal) into dressing the way that you want them too.

Our April 2017 cruises on the Jewel we saw a guy in front of us attempting to enter the DL in shorts and was politely stopped and reminded of the dress code and denied entry by the concierge.

Curious what type of shorts. We were on Jewel in Feb 2017, and there were people every night in shorts, but they were khaki shorts with collared shirts. After several days of it, I switched to that same thing and had no problem.

I've been wearing shorts to breakfast in Chops and lunch in MDR for three weeks.

I don't recall seeing anyone actually in the MDr for dinner wearing shorts. We eat MTD up on 5. Usually around 5:45.

Like I said elsewhere, I have seen one passenger be asked to change into pants up on 14.

I have seen shorts in the CL in the evening

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And those annoyed about it at breakfast and lunch have every right to be annoyed as it clearly states "shorts are welcomed at breakfast and lunch". They pull that on Jewel in 59 days and I will be at Guest Services with that page printed and that sentence highlighted.
Only right.

Even though we dress up every night i always wear tailored shorts and polo shirts at least till 5 pm every day.

I've been wearing shorts to breakfast in Chops and lunch in MDR for three weeks.

I don't recall seeing anyone actually in the MDr for dinner wearing shorts. We eat MTD up on 5. Usually around 5:45.

Like I said elsewhere, I have seen one passenger be asked to change into pants up on 14.

I have seen shorts in the CL in the evening

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Over the last 5-6 cruises, I've gone to the MDR for Breakfast & Lunch (on sea days) in dry bathing suits that basically reach my knees and I've not encountered any problems. Also, wore my Yankees baseball hat. Sorry Red Sox fans, but RCL respects Yankees hats.;p

Whose expectation that people will follow a suggestion? So the waiter comes to my table, lists the specials and suggests that I have the lamb. I don't eat lamb but, according to you, I'm expected to? This doesn't make any sense.

What's the source? If the policy states that shorts are allowed for breakfast and lunch then people dressed in shorts for breakfast and lunch aren't being turned away - bank on that.

The reality is that more people dress casual than dress formal - and Royal knows this which is why formal wear is only suggested on the optional formal nights. Formal nights are just a way for cruise ships to make money on pictures.

If you want to dress formally then go ahead. But let's not start spreading misinformation and try to trick others (especially those new to Royal) into dressing the way that you want them too.

If you honestly believe that, you're mistaken. Formal nights have been a part of RC Cruising for as long as I remember. Very little revenue is now derived from "picture income" since everyone now has a digital camera and/or phone.

Now that we're down that rabbit hole of dress etiquette where no one is right or wrong, lets just say that "most " prefer to NOT wear or even see shorts in the MDR or even "pay for" restaurants, particularly at dinner time. What you do is your business and I respect that. You do you and I'l do me. Just know this, that you'll never see a person "out of sorts" at the Captains table.

Curious what type of shorts. We were on Jewel in Feb 2017, and there were people every night in shorts, but they were khaki shorts with collared shirts. After several days of it, I switched to that same thing and had no problem.

Khaki shorts during the DL evening HH(s). SOP...consistently inconsistent. :confused:

Very little revenue is now derived from "picture income" since everyone now has a digital camera and/or phone.

You are using the same argument that people are using for or against shorts in the MDR.

If you don't do it or don't want to do it, no one does.

Pictures are still a large enough revenue stream that the cruise lines are actively spending money changing and enhancing the offerings. They have spent large sums of money developing an IT infrastructure to digitize and streamline the process.

If you have spent even a small amount of time on message boards dedicated to Walt Disney World and their theme parks you would know that Disney's PhotoPass and Memory Maker service is extremely popular, expensive, and purchased.

Carnival just launched their version of Memory Maker allowing guests to purchase packages pre cruise for $50 - $450 dollars.

If you want to wear shorts to dinner there are other places to eat other then the main dining room. I personally don't want to see hairy legs and arm pits at dinner. It is an appetite spoiler. Evenings that we have not felt we wanted to dress for dinner, we eat in the buffet. Please be considerate of fellow cruisers and follow the rules.

Did you see armpits in the buffet?[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you honestly believe that, you're mistaken. Formal nights have been a part of RC Cruising for as long as I remember. Very little revenue is now derived from "picture income" since everyone now has a digital camera and/or phone.

Now that we're down that rabbit hole of dress etiquette where no one is right or wrong, lets just say that "most " prefer to NOT wear or even see shorts in the MDR or even "pay for" restaurants, particularly at dinner time. What you do is your business and I respect that. You do you and I'l do me. Just know this, that you'll never see a person "out of sorts" at the Captains table.

Hmmmm - so all those photographers setting up everywhere on the ship are really passengers with digital cameras and/or phones? Got it.

Hmmmm - so all those photographers setting up everywhere on the ship are really passengers with digital cameras and/or phones? Got it.

We tried to get a couple of pictures with the professionals on our last cruise, with the intention of maybe buying a few at the end of the cruise, but the 45-75 minute waits for the professionals (I mean just individuals with cell phones) put us off.