No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

Personally dress shorts are perfectly fine with a collared shirt (golf shirt) . NO cut offs or basketball shorts but dress shorts are perfect for the dining room. Specialty dining I could see enforcing the pants rule.

Agreed 100%! Let's be honest, the MDR isn't that fancy anymore. They give you sometimes inedible food and make you wait too long for said inedible food. I always dress for the occasion and MDR doesn't seem like the place for it these days. Specialty restaurant, absolutely.

Personally dress shorts are perfectly fine with a collared shirt (golf shirt) . NO cut offs or basketball shorts but dress shorts are perfect for the dining room. Specialty dining I could see enforcing the pants rule.

Why though? Why a golf shirt but not a T shirt? Why dress shorts but no basketball shorts or cutoffs? The argument is always "Couldn't care less, what someone wears doesn't affect the taste of my food, can't see their legs when they're sitting down", etc

It's fascinating to me where people draw the line in these threads. What is it about a T shirt that makes it detract from your dining experience, but a golf shirt doesn't? If you don't care whether someone wears a suit on formal night, why would you care if someone wears an old faded T shirt?

Why though? Why a golf shirt but not a T shirt? Why dress shorts but no basketball shorts or cutoffs? The argument is always "Couldn't care less, what someone wears doesn't affect the taste of my food, can't see their legs when they're sitting down", etc

It's fascinating to me where people draw the line in these threads. What is it about a T shirt that makes it detract from your dining experience, but a golf shirt doesn't? If you don't care whether someone wears a suit on formal night, why would you care if someone wears an old faded T shirt?

I think it's called meeting in the middle. But hey, to each their own. Wear an old faded t-shirt...doesn't make my dining experience any better or worse. Which is something people should realize. It's not going to make the food taste better, that's for sure. It's not going add to the wait staff so they aren't overwhelmed.

I don't care what others wear, but I personally choose to not wear a t-shirt or gym shorts, not will my boys. I will wear khaki shorts and a polo, as that is what I wear for business casual at work even in the winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

If you honestly believe that, you're mistaken. Formal nights have been a part of RC Cruising for as long as I remember. Very little revenue is now derived from "picture income" since everyone now has a digital camera and/or phone.

Now that we're down that rabbit hole of dress etiquette where no one is right or wrong, lets just say that "most " prefer to NOT wear or even see shorts in the MDR or even "pay for" restaurants, particularly at dinner time. What you do is your business and I respect that. You do you and I'l do me. Just know this, that you'll never see a person "out of sorts" at the Captains table.

While I'd agree that most folk don't wear shorts to MDR, as can be seen when you go in, how do you know that most folk have an issue with other folk wearing them ?

Personally I wear trousers to dinner, but I really couldn't care less what anyone else wears, and in suspect that's the case for the majority of cruisers.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

I would love to see people denied entry because of shorts etc, some people are saying mdr is not that elegant and food is not that good, then they should have no problem eating in WJ
Unreal that you care what the person next to you eating is wearing. It's actually comical.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would love to see people denied entry because of shorts etc, some people are saying mdr is not that elegant and food is not that good, then they should have no problem eating in WJ

Not going to happen. They want money and they get money when people enjoy themselves. You’ll just have to adapt to everyone enjoying themselves or eat by yourself in your room

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not going to happen. They want money and they get money when people enjoy themselves. You’ll just have to adapt to everyone enjoying themselves or eat by yourself in your room

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that I not going to happen, I rarely eat in mdr anyhow prefer suite restaurant or specialty

I agree that I not going to happen, I rarely eat in mdr anyhow prefer suite restaurant or specialty
If you don't eat there, why do you wish ill on others that do? Why do you care what others wear in a location you don't go to?

I don't get why people can't just mind their own business, and let others live their own lives.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I don’t know about anyone else but to us the main dining room on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship is something special.

We rarely go out to eat at home. Instead we prefer to cook our own dinners and we eat together.

Like it or not, the Main Dining Room on a cruise ship is elegant, very much so IMO. We like to dress up for the occasion. It’s a special part of our day. I hope that we don’t turn into that lonely table in a elegant setting with a bunch of others looking like they were expecting to go to the cafeteria.

Dan

Please explain to me in what way Royal Caribbean MDRs are elegant in any way? I mean this is really getting comical now.This isn't the Lusitania from the past.

Do you see grand staircases three tiers high, grand pianos, and multiple chandeliers in most dining room that you are in? Seriously.

You’re hilarious. I guess you dine in better locations than I do on an everyday basis. [emoji849]

Dan

4b78454c046b844942f22e02cbfd39a1.jpg

Edited by The Fun Researcher

Please explain to me in what way Royal Caribbean MDRs are elegant in any way? I mean this is really getting comical now.This isn't the Lusitania from the past.

I think the Royal Caribbean dining rooms are the most elegant of all the cruise lines I have sailed.

I have seen people turned away wearing shorts Main Dining Room. Last 2 cruises I saw it happen was on Serenade Dec 2017, and Nov 2016. Though was on Formal Nites.... Others on here have said they witnessed it also...

I think the Royal Caribbean dining rooms are the most elegant of all the cruise lines I have sailed.
Oh boy those other lines must have really been awful.

I have seen people turned away wearing shorts Main Dining Room. Last 2 cruises I saw it happen was on Serenade Dec 2017, and Nov 2016. Though was on Formal Nites.... Others on here have said they witnessed it also...

And many of us have seen shorts allowed in the MDR and elsewhere. I dined on a formal night on Adventure in Giovanni's last year and sat next to a gentleman wearing shorts. He was nice to his wife and the waiter, didn't chew with his mouth open, and I couldn't have cared less what he was wearing.

Royal has the right to enforce their own rules however they see fit.

If you want to wear shorts and are turned away, deal with it.

If you are for some odd reason offended by sitting next to the "classless slobs" wearing shorts and they are allowed in the MDR, also deal with it. It's not your right or place to enforce the company dress code.

I think that as long as you are dressed and groomed nicely you should be able to eat wherever. In the evening I wear nice shorts/dressy womens and a nice top along with a nice pair of saddles. My hair and makeup are done as well. Men should wear nice shorts and a collared shirt. And groomed..shaved, hair appropriately styled. I've been to very nice restaurants, and usually those with the most money dress and look the worst.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

The baby boomers on this forum sound like the supposed "entitled" millenial generation. "Oh, well, I shouldn't have to dress up, who cares what I'm wearing, it doesn't affect you. This is MY cruise and I paid for it so I do what I want without regard for others!"

Pot...meet kettle.

There is a huge difference between a man wearing nicely pressed khaki shorts, a collared shirt, and loafers...and a man wearing basketball shorts, a sweaty tank top, and Nike slides.

If you are clean, and dressed in clean clothing—aren’t wearing athletic wear or beach wear...I’m fine with it. I grew up in an upscale resort town—khaki shorts-sometimes with a blue blazer(bow tie optional!) - are the norm and welcomed in most upscale restaurants.(upscale- but not 4-5 Star-which RCI MDR is not) However...Athletic wear and tanks tops is not.

Just make an effort.

There is a huge difference between a man wearing nicely pressed khaki shorts, a collared shirt, and loafers...and a man wearing basketball shorts, a sweaty tank top, and Nike slides.

If you are clean, and dressed in clean clothing—aren’t wearing athletic wear or beach wear...I’m fine with it. I grew up in an upscale resort town—khaki shorts-sometimes with a blue blazer(bow tie optional!) - are the norm and welcomed in most upscale restaurants.(upscale- but not 4-5 Star-which RCI MDR is not) However...Athletic wear and tanks tops is not.

Just make an effort.

What I fail to understand is why is why do some folks consider it unreasonable to wear pants in a restaurant? Are these people THAT lazy? Do they never go to a decent restaurant on land? Perplexing.