What broadway play?

George C

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Many natives of Brooklyn would disagree...😄

When someone who lives in Brooklyn or Queens is going to Manhattan, we don’t say Manhattan we say we are going to the city .

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, George C said:

When someone who lives in Brooklyn or Queens is going to Manhattan, we don’t say Manhattan we say we are going to the city .

I don't know whether they exist any longer but many years ago you could find signs in subways stations in the outer reaches of Brooklyn and the Bronx that identified which platform was for trains going to Manhattan with the words "To City".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George C said:

Native Brooklynite here.  And that's definitely what I would say.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Many natives of Brooklyn would disagree...😄

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I don't know whether they exist any longer but many years ago you could find signs in subways stations in the outer reaches of Brooklyn and the Bronx that identified which platform was for trains going to Manhattan with the words "To City".

I lived in Brooklyn nearly 60 years and never referred to Manhattan as The City.

9 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Historically still there,,,,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I lived in Brooklyn nearly 60 years and never referred to Manhattan as The City.

I got one on you.....Over 70 and when we took the West End Line, we were going to the City...

In elevated station had a lite sign flashing when the train was one stop away - To The City - To Coney Island on the other platform..

Sorry....

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I got one on you.....Over 70 and when we took the West End Line, we were going to the City...

In elevated station had a lite sign flashing when the train was one stop away - To The City - To Coney Island on the other platform..

Sorry....

Which station was that ?

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Which station was that ?

Elevated stations of the B line in lower brooklyn, F along McDonald..... Many of the elevated were ground trolley lines at the beginning. Some of the streets still show the tracks thru the paving.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Elevated stations of the B line in lower brooklyn, F along McDonald..... Many of the elevated were ground trolley lines at the beginning. Some of the streets still show the tracks thru the paving.

I was never on trains in that area. I lived in Crown Heights 24 years and only was on IRT and BMT trains.Then 35 years in Canarsie and only on the L train.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was never on trains in that area. I lived in Crown Heights 24 years and only was on IRT and BMT trains.Then 35 years in Canarsie and only on the L train.

I

Our area is serviced by the IND. Previously BMT. The train letters change every 10 years. B, D, F, M....BMT R, Q, N, W.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I

Our area is serviced by the IND. Previously BMT. The train letters change every 10 years. B, D, F, M....BMT R, Q, N, W.....

Some haven’t changed, I took either J or M for years both elevated trains from queens then Brooklyn then the city . I stopped taking subway on my trips about a dozen years ago. I remember taking a train in 2001 a couple of months before 9/11 to tkts location which was in the World Trade Center, that was quicker than dealing with the one in Times Square. 

3 hours ago, George C said:

Some haven’t changed, I took either J or M for years both elevated trains from queens then Brooklyn then the city . I stopped taking subway on my trips about a dozen years ago. I remember taking a train in 2001 a couple of months before 9/11 to tkts location which was in the World Trade Center, that was quicker than dealing with the one in Times Square. 

Sorry this thread went off topic but public transit is a source of to go to the theater by those who wish to use it.

Unfortunately I know many that will take Express Buses, Car Service, etc... instead of the Subway.

When you are aways from the token booth, you are alone on the down platform or upper elevated platform. Any crime can occur. And unfortunately this was going on even before 9/11.

I know many that will pay the extra for Exp Bus than the Subway. Above ground transit except for the once in a while incident, do crimes take place. More safer and comfortable buses.

I know people when they get a new job opt to above ground transit than the underground.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry this thread went off topic but public transit is a source of to go to the theater by those who wish to use it.

Unfortunately I know many that will take Express Buses, Car Service, etc... instead of the Subway.

When you are aways from the token booth, you are alone on the down platform or upper elevated platform. Any crime can occur. And unfortunately this was going on even before 9/11.

I know many that will pay the extra for Exp Bus than the Subway. Above ground transit except for the once in a while incident, do crimes take place. More safer and comfortable buses.

I know people when they get a new job opt to above ground transit than the underground.

When I lived in NYC (not Manhattan) and worked in Manhattan I took an Express Bus every morning and every night.It was $5.00.At times I was the last person on the bus going home and the driver would often drop me off in front of my house.

I was mugged too many times on subway platforms to continue taking the train.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I lived in NYC (not Manhattan) and worked in Manhattan I took an Express Bus every morning and every night.It was $5.00.At times I was the last person on the bus going home and the driver would often drop me off in front of my house.

I was mugged too many times on subway platforms to continue taking the train.

Off Thread.....

But can't STAND the smell.................................................................................lol.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Off Thread.....

But can't STAND the smell.................................................................................lol.......

I don’t understand why so many people on this east coast threads recommend subway to tourists that are not familiar with them , I do have a couple of funny stories about them, Bill Cosby used to have a routine on how entertaining they were.