What broadway play?

George C

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately I like Original Productions and not remakes...

I really like both have seen several versions of Hair, I see there a new play Almost famous based on the movie , should have some great music. 

14 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I get that, but lots of folks aren't old enough or had the means to have seen Original Productions.  This is certainly not your grandfathers' 1776, but ruling out remakes entirely as just not liking them means you would miss a ton of great theater, including these recent musicals:

Music Man

My Fair Lady

South Pacific

The King and I

Hedwig

And these recent plays:

How I Learned to Drive

To Kill a Mockingbird

Topdog/Underdog

Three Tall Women

Jitney

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I get that, but lots of folks aren't old enough or had the means to have seen Original Productions.  This is certainly not your grandfathers' 1776, but ruling out remakes entirely as just not liking them means you would miss a ton of great theater, including these recent musicals:

Music Man

My Fair Lady

South Pacific

The King and I

Hedwig

And these recent plays:

How I Learned to Drive

To Kill a Mockingbird

Topdog/Underdog

Three Tall Women

Jitney

Sorry, personal opinion,  my likes are original productions of plays and movies that them what they are. They would not be remakes if original ones weren't first made.

I also don't care for when originals can not be produced as original have to have words and songs removed and/or altered.

To each is own....I don't mine

"you would miss a ton of great theater"...

On 11/1/2022 at 9:05 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I saw a production of Man Of LaMancha in the Westchester County Playhouse a few years ago.I also saw the very first starring Richard Kiley .

In my opinion the production in Westchester was much better.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:39 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry, personal opinion,  my likes are original productions of plays and movies that them what they are. They would not be remakes if original ones weren't first made.

I also don't care for when originals can not be produced as original have to have words and songs removed and/or altered.

To each is own....I don't mine

"you would miss a ton of great theater"...

I get wanting to see the original.  Sometimes that is impossible, as I mentioned before, due to not being alive for the original, being away from the city when it is first staged, sold out status, illness, or finances.  I guess it makes it easier to pick your shows when it's Originals or Nothing.

3 questions:

1) If a show is first staged in London and transfers to Broadway with the same or a slightly different cast would you consider that an original?

2) If a show is first staged as an "Out of Town Tryout" in Chicago or LA or Boston, do you consider it an original when it transfers to Broadway?

3) Would you consider the current Broadway productions of Hamilton, Wicked, and Book of Mormon to be "Originals" since they have been playing continuously since they opened there?

• Like 1

Sometimes a revival can not be good.I know that from personal experience,In 1935 a play opened in NY and had a nice run.

For a reason that I have no idea why I decided to write an updated version and got permission of the family of the late playwright to adapt a play based on the original.The play opened in 1964 and closed the same night.My Director had success with Broadway and Off Broadway productions.My cast was comprised of basically unknowns ,perhaps that was the problem.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sometimes a revival can not be good.I know that from personal experience,In 1935 a play opened in NY and had a nice run.

For a reason that I have no idea why I decided to write an updated version and got permission of the family of the late playwright to adapt a play based on the original.The play opened in 1964 and closed the same night.My Director had success with Broadway and Off Broadway productions.My cast was comprised of basically unknowns ,perhaps that was the problem.

I pity anyone who invested in that . I backed a version of hair done in queens one of the original writers showed up and told my brother the director that he liked our show,.

47 minutes ago, George C said:

I pity anyone who invested in that . I backed a version of hair done in queens one of the original writers showed up and told my brother the director that he liked our show,.

I am familiar with your brother.He has quite a resume of plays that he directed.If he directed my play it may have become a hit .

• 1 month later...

My wife and I saw “1776” in New York the other night.  I promised earlier in this thread that I’d come back here to post my thoughts about this production after we saw it.  I won’t bury the lede – we both thought it was fantastic; we haven’t enjoyed anything that much in a long time.

Some background.  I saw the original Broadway production of 1776 in 1969.  It was the first show I’d seen that just punched me in the gut, in the same way that Sweeney, Les Miz, and Hamilton did in the ensuing decades.  I’ve seen 1776 on stage a number of times since, and have seen the film as well.  I love the show, including the music.

And I just loved this new production.  Without changing the book, lyrics, and music (except for some small changes in arrangements/orchestration), directors Jeffrey Page and Diane Paulus have used a “multiracial cast of female, transgender, and nonbinary actors”  in a way that resonates about the founding of our country, including the original sin of slavery, and about what America can and should be.  It was powerful and uplifting.  I would gladly see it again.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQa9MVN15O3OsVRGigazbxGpldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1670608021

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it, Turtle.  We were less excited when it opened in Cambridge about a year ago.

We were in NYC for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and saw (in the order we liked them)

The Piano Lesson

Funny Girl (Julie Benko filling in for sick Lea Michele)

Topdog/Underdog

A Strange Loop

Leopoldstadt

I don't like Stoppard and was talked into seeing this and it really is his most approachable and somewhat autobiographic play, was glad I saw it.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 4:12 PM, Turtles06 said:

My wife and I saw “1776” in New York the other night.  I promised earlier in this thread that I’d come back here to post my thoughts about this production after we saw it.  I won’t bury the lede – we both thought it was fantastic; we haven’t enjoyed anything that much in a long time.

Some background.  I saw the original Broadway production of 1776 in 1969.  It was the first show I’d seen that just punched me in the gut, in the same way that Sweeney, Les Miz, and Hamilton did in the ensuing decades.  I’ve seen 1776 on stage a number of times since, and have seen the film as well.  I love the show, including the music.

And I just loved this new production.  Without changing the book, lyrics, and music (except for some small changes in arrangements/orchestration), directors Jeffrey Page and Diane Paulus have used a “multiracial cast of female, transgender, and nonbinary actors”  in a way that resonates about the founding of our country, including the original sin of slavery, and about what America can and should be.  It was powerful and uplifting.  I would gladly see it again.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQa9MVN15O3OsVRGigazbxGpldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1670608021

We also saw it in 1969.We still have the playbill and tickets stubs.

We enjoyed it very much.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, Nitemare said:

Glad you enjoyed it, Turtle.  We were less excited when it opened in Cambridge about a year ago.

We were in NYC for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and saw (in the order we liked them)

The Piano Lesson

Funny Girl (Julie Benko filling in for sick Lea Michele)

Topdog/Underdog

A Strange Loop

Leopoldstadt

I don't like Stoppard and was talked into seeing this and it really is his most approachable and somewhat autobiographic play, was glad I saw it.

1n 1965 ,my cousin Marilyn Michaels had the lead role in the National Touring company and a few years later had the lead role with a Long Island theater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finally booked our New York City trip , got a decent deal for large suite at michealanglo our favorite hotel , will buy broadway tickets at tkts as normal, definitely want to see Beautiful Noise , going for long Memorial Day weekend, anybody see any other good plays recently? 

• Like 1