How do you get a great DEAL?

Wow! Well, that makes me feel a bit better!

Let's say I want to cruise again - can I, hypothetically speaking, get a better deal if I plan a cruise now for July of 2019 or 2020?

Did your TA give you any OBC = On Board Credit? I've seen a lot of threads here about people getting benefits from the TA and that is the reason they use them.

In my opinion, booking that close to the cruise and the cruise being during the peak of summer, if you are in a oceanview balcony for 150.00 per night per person or less before taxes and fees, you havent really overpaid. I agree that its kinda hard to say without knowing what ship and a close estimate of how much you paid.

Some people can find oceanview balcony cabins on the newer ships for less than 100.00 per person per night. I have never been that lucky.

I think your approach is right on. Personally, i target $100 pp/pd and see how much cruise i can get. Normally with Club Royale discounts, i can get a 2 people in a Junior Suite on a 7 day cruise for ~$1500. Compared to other vacations, cruising is still an economical smart choice.

I don't think they did suggest two rooms. Although this would be ideal! However, our youngest is 10 and she won't get along with her brother for extended periods of time. Especially if the room isn't connected. Our son tho is 15 and would prefer to not have his little sister hanging around. But that is a great deal and seems more worth it than cramming all of us in one room.
You could always split the adults up. One with each child. It's not like your getting any privacy with all 4 in one room anyway. [emoji6]

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Oh and I want to add - we were worried an interior room with Pullman's wouldn't "fit" our family. My son is 15 and close to 6 feet tall. And eats anything in sight. So when my TA said would a sleeper sofa work, I thought... sure! That sounds better than my son sleeping above me. Eeek!

I don't think they did suggest two rooms. Although this would be ideal! However, our youngest is 10 and she won't get along with her brother for extended periods of time. Especially if the room isn't connected. Our son tho is 15 and would prefer to not have his little sister hanging around. But that is a great deal and seems more worth it than cramming all of us in one room.

Does this cabin have a sofabed and a Pullman? Typically, there is a sofabed that sleeps two, so that 15 yr old will be sleeping with the little sister unless you plan on giving up the main bed.

Does this cabin have a sofabed and a Pullman? Typically, there is a sofabed that sleeps two, so that 15 yr old will be sleeping with the little sister unless you plan on giving up the main bed.

It just has a sofa bed. Which we knew...

So we are prepared to share the bed with her. But worst comes to worst, we will have a pool air mattress and possibly a small air mattress (it's smaller than a twin - depending on suitcase space).

It just has a sofa bed. Which we knew...

So we are prepared to share the bed with her. But worst comes to worst, we will have a pool air mattress and possibly a small air mattress (it's smaller than a twin - depending on suitcase space).

I would look at having a girls cabin and a guys cabin if the price for two cabins is as close to the one cabin you have now. That is how my family members have traveled for years as they always were afraid their two sons would throw their sister over the side.:eek::halo:

THIS! Do this, at least try... best advice if you are not going save $, you will want that extra space and bathroom with kids... been there, never gonna do that again. The cabins do not have to be adjoining, not that big of a deal. I had my teenagers at the time in their own cabin across the hall and it was such a more enjoyable trip than us in one cabin. Just my two cents for having been there...

Another vote for 2 cabins! Been there done it, 2 baths make a difference!

Ok, I'll spill.

I'm on a 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise on July 15th on Liberty of the Seas.

Total amount paid... $5485

And yes I booked with a TA because she was a friend and I have never booked a cruise before. And the cruise is paid in full as of last month.

Have your TA friend watch the prices and she can help you get either 1) a price reduction when they happen or 2) Upgraded to a suite for no additional $s

As a matter of fact, there is a promo going on now that has some thing to do with "Kids sail free" that you appear to qualify for with your 10 year old so that would be a cost savings right there that might be able to get you bumped up from a close-quarters balcony into a larger Suite without any cost.

We have done the 2 adjoining balcony rooms for our Alaskan cruise for five us us (8 year old & 15 year old + Grandma) and it worked out very well as we could not get a suite on that one. We moved from 2 connecting Oceanview rooms to 2 balcony for no additional costs about 3 weeks prior to the sailing when the prices dropped

Edited by ndabunka

It's tough since time of year makes a difference and I think July is one of pricier times. But guess the best way is book early and monitor prices daily or at least weekly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll spill.

I'm on a 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise on July 15th on Liberty of the Seas.

Total amount paid... $5485

And yes I booked with a TA because she was a friend and I have never booked a cruise before. And the cruise is paid in full as of last month.

$5485 divided by 4 is $1371 each

If my calculations are right it comes out to $196 per night for each passenger which isn't bad for that time of the year. History tends to repeat it's self so I would look at pricing on all cruise lines during this time period closer to sailing for this year. Keep a record of your finding so when next year comes around you will have an idea of pricing. See what itineraries have last minute deals this year and make a note of that as well. Chances are they will be discounted next year. If a hurricane hits chances are that the islands that got hit will be less desirable and will be slow to book.

I just checked a cruise tracking website for price history for your sailing

M4 balcony low was $1311 pp on 4/12/18 High was $1437pp on 3/29/18

1L balcony low was $1352pp on 4/12/18 High was $ 1480 pp on 3/29/18

All in all I still think you received a good price for peak season.

Royal Caribbean is probably the best choice for a multi generation group which is why they can get a good price for the product. It is more refine while still being kid friendly. Carnival would be my next choice but it is more Broadway than Park Ave. We sailed on Princess when my kids were younger but now that they are in their 20's Royal Caribbean is the best choice for us when traveling with them. My wife and I sail Celebrity and Princess when we are sailing by ourselves. My 26yr old sailed NCL Breakaway to Bermuda last year and hated NCL and would never book it again. This surprised me because to me it is geared more towards his age group. His only other experience was Princess and Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Another vote for 2 cabins! Been there done it, 2 baths make a difference!

One time on Princess it was actually cheaper to book 2 interior rooms than it was for 1 interior room for the 4 of us . Personally I would rather book two interiors than one balcony. We aren't the room much anyway and like you said 2 bathrooms makes a huge difference.

I appears my sailing is a sold out cruise. So, good and bad.

I've looked into carnival before. But many people looked at me like I had 2 heads when I suggested taking a cruise with them. Especially TA's. Their pricing is what attracted me to them.

Wait... I need more help.

My TA said the ship was sold out. Then I looked this up. Would this come up of the ship was sold out? And if be saving over $1,000!

So what do I do?

Copied from RC site:

• STATEROOM 1:$2,664.00
    • 1 adult, 1 child | Change stateroom category
    • View Pricing by Guest
    • BOGO50-$666.00
    • $75.00 Free Onboard Spending CreditFREE

[*]

• STATEROOM 2:$2,664.00
    • 2 adults | Change stateroom category
    • BOGO50-$666.00

• Subtotal:$3,996.00
  • Taxes & Fees$331.84

• Total$4,327.84 USD

I've looked into carnival before. But many people looked at me like I had 2 heads when I suggested taking a cruise with them. Especially TA's. Their pricing is what attracted me to them.

Even if your cruise "looks" to be sold out online, it may not actually BE sold out. If your friend who originally booked you is still your friend, & she should still be as it looks like she/he did right by you on the costs, then just give him/her a call to talk through any options.

We have cruised on Norwegian, Carnival, Royal & Disney and would agree that Carnival is a "step down" in most cases (think silly kids stuff and LOUD parties). However, as with any cruise line those types of things can be associated with an individual ship and/or itinerary. The newer, larger Carnival ships are pretty nice and we enjoyed our Tampa cruise on their ship "Liberty".

We LOVE Disney for the quality of food, entertainment & overall atmosphere but you do pay for that level. We have enjoyed NCL for their routes. Alaska with the ship spinning slowly in Glacier Bay as well as NCL's Pride of America around Hawaii were both AWESOME!!! Their food in their specialty restaurants is DEFINITELY a step above Carnival & one of the reasons we got a Suite in Hawaii. However, my wife and boys are more "buffet people" as they prefer to come and go without anyone fussing/waiting on them. You will enjoy Royal for the quality of food at all options as well as the service of the staff. You made a good choice and will have a great cruise.

Just saw your post above ^

Call her back and tell her what you found & ask her to move you or tell you why she can't

Wait... I need more help.

My TA said the ship was sold out. Then I looked this up. Would this come up of the ship was sold out? And if be saving over $1,000!

So what do I do?

Copied from RC site:

• STATEROOM 1:$2,664.00
    • 1 adult, 1 child | Change stateroom category
    • View Pricing by Guest
    • BOGO50-$666.00

[*]

• STATEROOM 2:$2,664.00
    • 2 adults | Change stateroom category
    • BOGO50-$666.00

• Subtotal:$3,996.00
  • Taxes & Fees$331.84

• Total$4,327.84 USD

Definitely call her back and tell her what you found and ask her to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your sailing is not sold out.

CONTACT YOUR TA IMMEDIATELY.

Cabin #1700 category 3B is available. You can switch at no extra cost, this cabin is an aft cabin that is the size of a JS for the price of a balcony.

Ps. You need to fire your TA.

I spoke with my TA and they will call RC tomorrow. But I'll incur a change fee of $100 per person (or $400 in our case). Does RC ever NOT charge you this?

Not if you have a non-refundable deposit and are changing ship and/or sailing date.

Your sailing is not sold out.

CONTACT YOUR TA IMMEDIATELY.

Cabin #1700 category 3B is available. You can switch at no extra cost, this cabin is an aft cabin that is the size of a JS for the price of a balcony.

Ps. You need to fire your TA.

I’m actually shocked that the TA wouldn’t take the time to check, or didn’t know how to check.

I spoke with my TA and they will call RC tomorrow. But I'll incur a change fee of $100 per person (or $400 in our case). Does RC ever NOT charge you this?

Is the change fee from Royal Caribbean or your travel agent? I've never had a cruise line charge me for a change, although it may happen. Sometimes you may lose some OBC or other perks; then you have to figure out which is the better deal.

But, some travel agents do charge for changes/cancellations, etc., although $100pp would be pretty steep. I personally won't use an agency that charges for these things.

Although I wouldn't book at this price, I don't think your price is horrible for that time of year. I would definitely be looking for a better deal though, like the one you have found, right up to the end. You will probably be much happier in two cabins rather than one, if you can find that. Or, of course, a bigger cabin, if a deal comes up.

We almost always get balconies for less than $100pp per day, but we don't cruise in peak times, are very flexible as to ship, cruise line, itinerary, date, cabin, etc. We also tend to book rather late, from 6 months to one month out. I watch sales and usually use a travel agent for extra perks.

Relax and enjoy your cruise; you will have a great time, make memories and learn a lot about cruising and how to manage it.

I’m actually shocked that the TA wouldn’t take the time to check, or didn’t know how to check.

I'm shocked too. I spoke with them earlier this week and asked if we were eligible for the current promotion and was told no. Then I see this....

So, let's say RC can change me to 2 cabins instead of one. I've already paid in full. What happens with the difference in money? Because this new deal has me saving over $1,000.

Also, is there anyway I can just call RC myself and be done with the TA? I hate to do it, cuz we are friends... but my gut is saying something isn't right. Telling me I will have a change fee, when I see I won't and so forth. :(:(

Wow, that's a lot of dough. We just got off Liberty, 4 of us. We booked in May of 2016 for April 2018 cruise. We had the Family Panoramic Ocean View. Not a balcony but a huge room with a bathroom and a half bathroom. Technically this room is for a minimum of 5 but our TA worked it for us. We paid $3300. This room is now considered a suite so I'm sure it's much more.