Cruising from Civitavecchia

billtba

I am researching for a possible cruise on the Celebrity Reflection out of Civitavecchia in August. I would like to fly into Rome the day before the cruise and then head straight for the port, which i see is about 80 miles away, and stay overnight to board the next day. I would like to see how others have handled the transport to the port and their experiences in picking a hotel for the night before the cruise

We used romehabicabs.com for transportation. They have shuttles for about 65Euros per couple and private for 115.

We stayed overnight in Rome

Den

Edited by Denny01

We did it this past summer...

But we flew in a few days early, stayed a night near Rome Fiumicino Airport (since we arrived late), then took a train up to Orvieto for a couple of nights, then rented a car from Hertz there to drive down to Civitavecchia via Tarquinia...Spent the night before the cruise at the Hotel Traghetto:

http://www.hoteltraghetto.it/en

Chose this hotel due to its proximity to the port --and that it was directly across the street from the port shuttle bus. Not the most luxurious hotel in the world--but adequate. Room was large though not fancy. We took a long walk into town looking for restaurants--though there are a few right nearby--since we had time on our hands.

For the return after the cruise, we took the shuttle back here and connected to the bus to the train station...and took the train out to Tivoli for a couple of days before catching the train from there back to Fiumicino Airport.

If you are flying in the day before, you can do this: Take the train directly (actually, you'd have to change trains at Rome Trastevere Station) from the Airport to Civitavecchia (the train station at Fiumicino is right across from the terminal and it is relatively inexpensive). It's about a mile from the train station in Civitavecchia to the hotel, so you'd probably want to take a taxi to cover that with your luggage. There are a few more hotels in the center of Civitavecchia (though no 5-stars)...look at the San Giorgio and the De La Ville--both close to the RR station--from which you would likely take a taxi directly to port in the morning.

Ps.: I'd stay IN Rome only if I was there for a relatively longer amount of time (or elsewhere, as we did), but, if you are only getting in the day before embarkation, tired and jet-lagged, it doesn't make much sense to pay for the high hotel rates in Rome and hassle with logistics the morning of the cruise. Now, if you've never been to Rome...and can afford the time, I'd really recommend getting in a few days ahead of your cruise...or, barring that, leaving a few days after. We'd been to Rome so many times that we look for other great places to go. This trip, we were very impressed with both Orvieto and Tivoli--and we still had time post cruise to wander around Rome for a full day--just to visit some of our usual haunts.

Edited by Bruin Steve

I am researching for a possible cruise on the Celebrity Reflection out of Civitavecchia in August. I would like to fly into Rome the day before the cruise and then head straight for the port, which i see is about 80 miles away, and stay overnight to board the next day. I would like to see how others have handled the transport to the port and their experiences in picking a hotel for the night before the cruise

We are sailing from Civitavecchia in June.

We have booked a room at the Hotel San Giorgio in Civitavecchia for the night before the cruise. We were going to book a transfer from the airport to the hotel with Rome Cabs as we have used them before and they are very good. However, on this occasion the hotel offered airport transfers plus a port transfer the following morning at a significantly lower price so we have booked with them.

I can tell on Monday as we will fly to Rome tomorrow for a cruise starting on Monday from Civitavecchia. We booked a shared shuttle from the Airport directly to our B&B for € 69 (for a couple). We didn't want to carry our luggage around all day....

We did the same in October. We used RomeCabs and stayed at Hotel San Giorgio. The hotel was nice and in a very good location. The only problem we had was that I booked a 2-level room. The bed was the only thing on the second level. The bathroom was on the first level and our suitcases were too heavy and large to carry up to the second level. I definitely would stay there again, but I would not book the 2-level room.

Also, we had a wonderful dinner at Ristorante DaBaffone, right down the street from the hotel. Enjoy your trip.

We also stayed at Hotel Traghetto. It is definitely basic and was the absolute smallest shower we have ever seen. We are both small and could barely lift our arms over our heads to wash our hair. Our bed was basically a few inches off the floor and hard as a rock. There was no safe and the locks on the doors didn't look very substantial. We would not stay there again and could not recommend it. It is walking distance to the shuttles which is why I chose it but there are other hotels within a very short taxi ride that have a better location in terms of view and restaurants.

Stay in Rome! Take the train to Civitavecchia-easy, affordable, and it will get you there in plenty of time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly in a few days early and as westcoast says, use the train. Fast, cheap and no traffic worries.

Lots of Airbnb options in Rome that are a fraction of the price of hotels and twice as nice.

Although we’ve used Euro trains and love them, I’d recommend Taxi shuttles. The train costs I think 20 Euros each then you’ll need a taxi to a local hotel or dock considering 2 week luggage.

Doable but a bit of a challenge.

Last spring we cruised out of Civitavecchia. We arrived several days early to tour Rome and then spent the night before the cruise in Civitavecchia. We stayed at Hotel Napoleon in Rome and Alibrandi Palace (a B&B type establishment) in Civitavecchia. I prefer to stay within "walking distance" the night before a cruise, just to be safe. Alibrandi Palace turned out not to be within walking distance to where the ship actually docked, but we traveled by taxi to the ship with another couple staying at the same place for a very reasonable price. We were able to purchase a transfer from Rome to Alibrandi Place through them. Don't remember the transfer price, but it is listed on their site. There is a metro/subway station right outside the door of Hotel Napoleon and a GREAT little deli about half a block away on the corner where we ate lunch. As for Alibrandi, they had some plumbing issues when we arrived and being a holiday, they were having trouble getting them repaired. Ended up getting repaired before dinner, so all was well. All in all, we would stay in both places again on our next trip. I don't know how many stars either have, but it met our purposes. Also, Napoleon offered an option to have a full breakfast.

Stay in Rome! We cruised on the Reflection out of Civitavecchia several years ago. Our flight arrived in Rome early the day before our cruise. We stayed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto and I would highly recommend it. We enjoyed our day in Rome, and were able to walk to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and other sights. In the evening walked across the Ponte Sisto bridge into Trastevere for dinner. We went for a run the next morning and ended up running through the Vatican area (didn't know we were that close!) We scheduled Rome Cabs for our transfer to the port the next morning and it was seamless.

We booked a hotel that had transfer available for a small fee. Hotel Traiano was clean and included a nice breakfast.

That's a yes from me...We have stayed here twice before and are looking to do likewise next summer for our Edge sailing.

Not sure what you mean by small fee, airport to port is usual rate which is around 130 euros, it was a free shuttle from hotel to ship

Stay in Rome! We cruised on the Reflection out of Civitavecchia several years ago. Our flight arrived in Rome early the day before our cruise. We stayed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto and I would highly recommend it. We enjoyed our day in Rome, and were able to walk to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and other sights. In the evening walked across the Ponte Sisto bridge into Trastevere for dinner. We went for a run the next morning and ended up running through the Vatican area (didn't know we were that close!) We scheduled Rome Cabs for our transfer to the port the next morning and it was seamless.

Hello, its me again.....:D

We did a weekend and stayed at the Ponte Sisto. Lovely hotel and would strongly recommend it if staying in Rome

Taking the train is the most inexpensive, however, not the most convenient way to get to Cicitavecchia.

A comfortable way is to use a transfer service. We can recommend Bob´s Limo: http://www.romelimousines.com/

Go to your roll call and search for others to share a ride to reduce the price.

The two hotels most frequented by cruise passengers in Civitavecchia are

Hotel De "La Ville":

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Hotels/IT-Civitavecchia-De-La-Ville/it-civitavecchia-de-la-ville.html

and Hotel San Giorgio

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Hotels/IT-Civitavecchia-San-Giorgio/it-civitavecchia-san-giorgio.html

We prefered San Giorgio. But you can´t go wrong with either of them - so choose by price.

We are on a cruise that departs on August 31st and we choose a hotel that Celebrity does a transfer from. Last year we cruised out of Amsterdam and used the Celebrity transfers. The reason I liked it was we gave them our bags at 9:00am and were on the ship in 30 minutes. Beat the lines. This time the pickup is at 8:00am so we should be on the ship by 9:30. Will do almost anything to get our vacation started as early as possible.

We are flying in the day before and have hired Stefanos Cab for transfer to Rome with a 2 hour VIP tour. We arrive early so we figured we would just start touring! We have booked Hotel Navona near Piazza Navona. Seems like a good location and great price. Then we will be taken to the hotel and check in... leaving the next day on Stefanos transfer to Civi . We are sharing the transfer with two other couples we met on our roll call.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, have done this a few times as well as staying in Rome for a week in October 2016.

We would recommend more than one night's stay before the cruise to be honest if you can. There is just so much to see and do !

Romecabs.com are amazing and we would recommend without hesitation.

We have stayed at the Empire Palace twice with Celebrity and it was lovely but a bit of a trek from the main sites. Having said that we would do it again

We have also stayed at the http://www.hotelducadalba.com/en/ Lovely hotel about 5 minutes walk from the Colesseum and 10 minutes from the Forum. There is an amazing traditional restaurant next door where all of the Italians eat worth going to Italy just to experience

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1747055-Reviews-La_Vecchia_Roma-Rome_Lazio.html

Ironically we have just booked the Edge next year staying at the Empire Palace and will make sure that we go La Vecchia Roma for our meals.

We arrived in Rome (flew overnight) 1 day before our cruise left in 2014. We stayed at Hotel Selene (http://www.hotelseleneroma.it/en/) for the night before our cruise. We found the hotel through Rick Steves' website. It was clean and centrally located. We were a little jet-lagged, but we were within walking distance of several Roman attractions. We did a self-guided tour of Coliseum/Roman Forum, and saw Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain before turning in that night. Missed the Vatican; that would have required more time and a taxi. Ideally having an extra day would have been nice, but we could not swing it with our schedules.

Can't remember who we used for transfer; it may have been arranged by the hotel.

Enjoy!

We used Romecabs last May - airport to hotel, 2 days in Rome, then hotel to port day of embarcation. They were excellent. We debated going to port by train but decided taxi, train, taxi was too much for us. We were lucky we did it that way since there was a transit strike day of cruise.