Travel agent

Hello. what is reasonable to expect from a travel agent in my situation? I’ve organized 29 cabins (2 suite, 2 interior, 25 balcony) for a five day to Bermuda on Anthem. Is it reasonable to expect the TA to give me free stuff like beverage packages, speciality dining, spa packages, or not at all? Royal gave a credit based on the one for eight arrangement. Nothing more from either royal or the TA?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello. what is reasonable to expect from a travel agent in my situation? I’ve organized 29 cabins (2 suite, 2 interior, 25 balcony) for a five day to Bermuda on Anthem. Is it reasonable to expect the TA to give me free stuff like beverage packages, speciality dining, spa packages, or not at all? Royal gave a credit based on the one for eight arrangement. Nothing more from either royal or the TA?

Absolutely you should, but you should have asked about it before booking. The better discount TA's give you about 10% OBC or other comparable amenities based on the base fare. That's a lot you are missing out on.

I can’t really answer your question as I usually book myself being a bit of a control freak. Having said that, I know others have gotten all sorts of perks from their TAs. You could ask for stuff but the only problem I see is that you’ve already booked with them which makes it way more difficult to negotiate anything. That should have been done before you booked. They’ve got you now.

Unfortunately, this is something that should have been worked out with the travel agent before booking.

Absolutely you should, but you should have asked about it before booking. The better discount TA's give you about 10% OBC or other comparable amenities based on the base fare. That's a lot you are missing out on.

Unfortunately, this is something that should have been worked out with the travel agent before booking.

I have to second / third ;) this.

An internet travel company always has gratuities free for the first two in a cabin. I book 2 cabins every year, so that saves me almost $400 plus give u more OBC plus royals OBC. Definitely ask.

Thanks! What would be reasonable to ask the TA for? Average cabin cost around $3000. Is commission 15%?

I don´t now what the percentage of commission is, but I do know it´s not paid on cabin cost. A good chunk of those $3000 would be non-commissionable.

As for reasonable, IMO it´s reasonable to expect nothing right now after the deal is done. It´s ok to try to negotiate something, but your expectancy should be low to zero at this point. Go ahead and talk about it with your TA, you shouldn´t be mad though if they don´t give you anything, as it´s not their fault you got the idea late in the game. I know it´s just my opinion and YMMV.

I don´t now what the percentage of commission is, but I do know it´s not paid on cabin cost. A good chunk of those $3000 would be non-commissionable.

As for reasonable, IMO it´s reasonable to expect nothing right now after the deal is done. It´s ok to try to negotiate something, but your expectancy should be low to zero at this point. Go ahead and talk about it with your TA, you shouldn´t be mad though if they don´t give you anything, as it´s not their fault you got the idea late in the game. I know it´s just my opinion and YMMV.

Thanks but I’m not looking to get now. I’m thinking of the next group cruise and what is reasonable to expect.

In the past, when we set up group cruises, our TA would also throw in a one hour group party with an open bar.

You may want to remind him/her that you can set up more group cruises in the future depending how this one goes. <wink wink>

Thanks but I’m not looking to get now. I’m thinking of the next group cruise and what is reasonable to expect.

It depends what kind of travel agent you are working with. A discount retailer will offer some incentives but provide little service.

A travel agent that works for an agency has to share the commission with many people.

That 16% is based on commissionable fare which is usually at least 10% lower than the published fare. Out of that amount 10-15% comes off the top and goes to the franchiser for marketing and head office administration. After that the remaining amount is split with the agency. Also consider that agents make next to nothing on airfare which are a lot of work.

Many full service agencies also do not allow their agents to rebate their commission.

That $3000 cabin (before taxes) probably nets an agent $150 to $175.

Am using an agent now who has own agency. No air involved this current trip. So my calculation is coming out higher than 150 to 175.

Does your agent have an office to pay for and any other overhead expenses, heat, insurance, wages etc....

Lots of things to consider and as I said group bookings can be a lot of work.

Owns building. No mortgage. No employees. I know because I am their financial advisor.

I’m not saying not to ask but agents provide a service and it’s unrealistic to expect them to give up a large portion of their income. Does anyone ask you to discount your financial advice.

I’m not saying not to ask but agents provide a service and it’s unrealistic to expect them to give up a large portion of their income. Does anyone ask you to discount your financial advice.

Yes. For large amounts of business. And we do oblige.

You most definitely should ask her to give you something. I would ask her for everyone in your cabin to have paid gratuities.

If this travel agent is solo, not with a big agency, she made over $5000 (probably closer to $7000) for double occupancy on 29 cabins. Balconies on the anthem for five nights to Bermuda, usually start at $1200 per person before taxes.

Ask VERY nicely, if you are going to receive any perks from HER for 29 cabins.

You can do this through email if you don't feel comfortable calling.

If she says no, say thank you for your time, I'll be using another travel agent next time.

Thanks! What would be reasonable to ask the TA for? Average cabin cost around $3000. Is commission 15%?

Your small 1 employee TA may make only 10% commission on your booking. The large online TA's make 16%.

No TA makes a dime on booking airfare

On a $3000 cabin, you should get $225-$250 in OBC or other comparable perks such as tips, dinners, etc.

Next time shop around. TA's will offer it.

Your small 1 employee TA may make only 10% commission on your booking. The large online TA's make 16%.

No TA makes a dime on booking airfare

On a $3000 cabin, you should get $225-$250 in OBC or other comparable perks such as tips, dinners, etc.

Next time shop around. TA's will offer it.

Thanks! My own cabin is $10,000 (two bedroom suite) so would 750 to 1000 innperks Be expected justfor me?

Does this TA charge any cancelation fees? If not I would still shop around for a better deal. It would be awkward to transfer the bookings from one TA to another but business is business. Maybe the TA that you booked with will match any other offer that you received. What incentive did the TA that you booked with offer?

I agree that you should have negotiated perks with the agency before booking. I would ask, but wouldn't tell the agent that in the future unless something is given you won't be booking with her.

To me, you are going to possibly lose her business if you do so, but if the loss of a client to you isn't important, go for it. I think there are many things to consider. As an example, did she discount the price for everyone on the cruise? Some agencies do that and the discount equates to a perk from another agency.

I would just tell her that you have been told by "friends" that when booking so many cabins there are perks available. Then ask what the perks are that she is offering you? Then, go from there and for your next group cruise, check with the group desk of the cruise line to see if/what they offer and then check agencies.

Sometimes doing business with someone that is a stranger to you works out better. JMO.

Owns building. No mortgage. No employees. I know because I am their financial advisor.

I wasn’t going to respond but you brought it up.

For you to use your personal knowledge of your travel agents financial situation to secure yourself a better rate or more OBC IMO is highly unethical.

Why should not having a mortgage or any other associated costs entitle you to a higher rate. Who knows maybe this person sacrificed many things earlier in life to pay off that morgptgate quicker and have a higher income later on. Many number of reasons but it should have no bearing on how you are approaching this person for a discount.

Does this TA charge any cancelation fees? If not I would still shop around for a better deal. It would be awkward to transfer the bookings from one TA to another but business is business. Maybe the TA that you booked with will match any other offer that you received. What incentive did the TA that you booked with offer?

None. I picked her because of a recommendation of a former long term agent who retired for medical reasons.

Seems like I’m not going to get much from her on next months group cruise but I’m learning for the next big group cruise.

This would be considered a group booking and all the cabins should have been discounted to account for that. And no, you shouldn't have had to even ask for it.