Cutbacks and nickel and diming

Whatever, retired dude. I've been in busiiness since 1993, contracting with a federal government agency. Obviously, we're not in a tipped based industry, so it's not something that I'm familiar with and have stated as much. You, however, have done nothing to make me change my mind; your thinly veiled and pathetic insults notwithstanding. I still don't believe Carnival. LOL.

I can see how, with your industry experience, you’d be prone to expect corruption within a system.

I have been in the hospitality industry for much, much longer than you’ve been in your field unrelated to the topic you keep commenting on.

I have also been on many ships across many lines and have developed close relationships with hotel directors (and others) on several ships.

I know, in detail, how the service charges are handled and none of it involves Carnival keeping it for themselves.

It a complex system too long to explain here and, I suspect, you still wouldn’t believe it.

That’s ok. Some people once didn’t believe the world was round. Eventually, they admitted to being wrong. Someday, you might do the same.

Whatever, retired dude. I've been in busiiness since 1993, contracting with a federal government agency. Obviously, we're not in a tipped based industry, so it's not something that I'm familiar with and have stated as much. You, however, have done nothing to make me change my mind; your thinly veiled and pathetic insults notwithstanding. I still don't believe Carnival. LOL.

Well sir, I am retired after 35 years working for and with many aerospace and defence companies around the world managing actual company operations and providing consulting services for their ERP systems which cover their entire business environment from R&D through order entry, manufacturing, shipping, inventory control, aftermarket, and full financial planning, execution, and reporting.

I am sorry that you do not believe that Carnival is an ethical and law abiding company that follows the laws that govern its business environment and dealings. I have tried to answer your questions and accusations to the best of my ability, but you have also chosen to believe that I am lying to you as well.

The only other suggestion I have is that you sit down with your company's financial organization and ask them to explain to you what the laws are regarding the collection and distribution of gratuities. They will have some understanding of what they are since your company has a marginal effect in that area if you and your other employees have to file expense reports and account for gratuities that you pay to service providers that are gratuity based organizations. It would be a good check and balance on whether or not your company is in full compliance with how you are required to deal with gratuities reporting and financial management.

I haven't sailed on Carnival in 14 months, and have no intention of returning. My main problem with the food was at lunch. I didn't bother eating in the buffet once on a 14 day cruise, which looked dried out and gross. Guy's Burgers was too fatty, pizza had improved some but got old quick, brunch/tea time was very limited in choices. I mostly ate in port, BLT sandwiches from room service, or Blue Iguana as a backup. Our ship did not have a wok, which I would have MUCH preferred.

No doubt about it, we prefer the old menu in the MDR over the American Table. The appetizers, the vegetable sides, and deserts were fresh and tasty. The fish and lamb were good, but the three times I ordered a beef entree... it was greasy mess. My wife doesn't eat Sea Food, had a harder time avoiding botched main courses.

I was just on Victory, seems if you want a straw with your drink you have to ask for one. How much does this save??

There is at least one other thread on this. This is not a cost saving but an ecology based decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is at least one other thread on this. This is not a cost saving but an ecology based decision.

Lots of companies are "going green". I think overall, it is the right thing to do to eliminate waste. However, I notice the majority of "green" decisions seem to be ones that would involve eliminating vs investments in cleaner processes. Overall, I believe it is using popular marketing to help drive down costs.

Lots of companies are "going green". I think overall, it is the right thing to do to eliminate waste. However, I notice the majority of "green" decisions seem to be ones that would involve eliminating vs investments in cleaner processes. Overall, I believe it is using popular marketing to help drive down costs.

Agreed

This is a real thing called Greenwashing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwashing

You state you know nothing of how the tipping world works but yet you know enough to claim that Carnival is lying when they state how they handle tips with no proof to back up your claim. You lack of logic is simply hilarious! :'):')

I was just on Victory, seems if you want a straw with your drink you have to ask for one. How much does this save??

Cutting out the crappy nighttime chocolate on the pillow saved the company $2.2m annually so I would assume only giving straws to people who actually want one will save Carnival a pretty penny as well without having to actually cutback anything.

In this case its not about the cost of the straw. It's about keeping plastic straws out of the environment.

I applaud Carnival for this initiative.

Cutting out the crappy nighttime chocolate on the pillow saved the company $2.2m annually so I would assume only giving straws to people who actually want one will save Carnival a pretty penny as well without having to actually cutback anything.

Good riddance to the nighttime chocolates. Aren't there enough desserts on these cruise ships? We had the midnight buffet on one night of our Journey cruise, and very little of the actual food was touched, total waist. People were loading their plates full of desserts, despite having had cookies after lunch, and chocolate melting cake during dinner, and likely an ice cream cones somewhere in the middle... if not starting the day off with caramel banana cream pie for breakfast, I met someone repeating that breakfast of champions! :fever:

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Good riddance to the nighttime chocolates.

I didn't care for them either. Andes mint chocolates are what I remember on the pillow on old cruises. I don't recall actually eating them. We kept them as souvenirs and eventually threw them away.

I didn't care for them either. Andes mint chocolates are what I remember on the pillow on old cruises. I don't recall actually eating them. We kept them as souvenirs and eventually threw them away.

I ate them on my first cruise, the only cruise I gained weight on. Too many deserts and midnight snacks! I now limit it to one desert in the MDR at night, late dining to avoid a 2nd meal, and using the stairs as much as possible. Mostly seafood and vegetables, I swear I eat healthier on a cruise ship than I do on land!

Too many deserts and midnight snacks! I now limit it to one desert in the MDR at night, late dining to avoid a 2nd meal, and using the stairs as much as possible.

I found the desserts to be not so hot, except for the creme brulee. I don't care for massive doses of chocolate like so many seem to.

My go to dessert is either ice cream or the cheese tray.

I’d love to see your source on that $2.2million cost savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found the desserts to be not so hot, except for the creme brulee. I don't care for massive doses of chocolate like so many seem to.

My go to dessert is either ice cream or the cheese tray.

And that's where I'm opposite, the chocolate is destination. At home I eat extreme dark chocolate, 90% cocoa. Thank you Cozunel for getting me on this kick!

And that's where I'm opposite, the chocolate is destination. At home I eat extreme dark chocolate, 90% cocoa. Thank you Cozunel for getting me on this kick!

You would probably like to see cacao plants. On one cruise, I went on an excursion where the guide went and found a cacao bush, picked a pod, broke it open, and let us taste. Interestingly, it tasted nothing even remotely close to chocolate, but it is where chocolate comes from.

Good riddance to the nighttime chocolates. Aren't there enough desserts on these cruise ships? We had the midnight buffet on one night of our Journey cruise, and very little of the actual food was touched, total waist. People were loading their plates full of desserts, despite having had cookies after lunch, and chocolate melting cake during dinner, and likely an ice cream cones somewhere in the middle... if not starting the day off with caramel banana cream pie for breakfast, I met someone repeating that breakfast of champions! :fever:

I agree but you ought to have heard all the bitching and moaning here when they removed those chocolates. :eek:

Long ago, when they had the midnight buffets on every cruise, it was the same story. Lots of people would come, take lots of pics and eat very little. Huge waste of food and IMO, that is one of the primary reasons for finally getting rid of them (I'm surprised to hear they still have them on the Journey cruises but I haven't taken one......as of yet).

I’d love to see your source on that $2.2million cost savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read this on John's old blog (before his FB page). I don't have a link to the actual article, I just simply remember what was written (because it was a WOW moment).

I read this on John's old blog (before his FB page). I don't have a link to the actual article, I just simply remember what was written (because it was a WOW moment).
I have seen the same number posted by a few shareholders.

I am a chocolate and dessert lover (banana caramel cake sounds like the perfect way to start my day [emoji23]), and I have maybe eaten 2 of the Carnival pillow chocolates on all 31 of my days at sea.

The first 2 cruises, I brought them home thinking I may eat them, but they just sat in my suitcase until the next time I used it. I think this was a brilliant way to cut costs.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

Just off the breeze. MDR service was ok. We wete wedged between 2 tables for 12. No one could ever get a coke or drink or glass of wine. Missed those services. Never learned names of servers but waiter did intoduce himself to me. First time i ever saw fellow dinners requesting new entrees. Our room cleaner Nacles was great. Gave us a card with his name. Greeted us daily. I do not miss the chocolates. Interesting we had to sign a card requesting twice a day cleaning or any other choice. Our cruise critic meet n greet had 50 and more showed up. No crew showed up. Very disappointing.