Cutbacks and nickel and diming

I saw a review where someone decreased their tips because they didn't SEE their cabin steward enough.

COME ON.

I agree. To me the sign of a great cabin steward is NOT seeing them, yet every time I return to the cabin it's clean, bed made, ice bucket refilled, towels replaced, and a cute little towel animal sitting on the bed (or hanging from the ceiling). It's like magic!

People can get really creative in being cheap, also for rationalizing here afterwards. Computer nerd’s idea has merit but I sincerely doubt we will see that change of a main line like Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All it would take is one of the US based mainstream lines to make that change and the rest would follow suit. But my gut feeling tells me it's just a pipe dream.

All it would take is one of the US based mainstream lines to make that change and the rest would follow suit. But my gut feeling tells me it's just a pipe dream.
Costa already had COMPULSORY gratuities of 10 euro or $12.50 per person per day. It can't be altered or removed. Costa calls it daily service charge.

Costa already had COMPULSORY gratuities of 10 euro or $12.50 per person per day. It can't be altered or removed. Costa calls it daily service charge.
Costa is a minnow compared to the bigger fish such as Carnival, Royal, Celebrity, NCL and Princess.

People can get really creative in being cheap, also for rationalizing here afterwards. Computer nerd’s idea has merit but I sincerely doubt we will see that change of a main line like Carnival.

I agree there is little chance of it become a reality but maybe someone could slip a note to the big wigs suggesting it when the Panorama arrives in NYC........ ;)

NCL also calls theirs a DSC (Daily Service Charge) but alas, people can still remove it. :(

But I read on cruisecritic, that a lady managed to get all Costa daily service charges removed, because the Costa laundry shrunk her clothes.

I agree there is little chance of it become a reality but maybe someone could slip a note to the big wigs suggesting it when the Panorama arrives in NYC........ ;)

I will have to do the slipping in Long Beach, the Panorama will be going there directly so I was told. They don’t always go to New York for naming ceremonies. New York had the Dream, Vista and Horizon. The Breeze was in Miami, Magic in Galveston, Sunshine in New Orleans and Splendor in Long Beach. But I digress..... I actually will have a chance to bring this up at a function in September when I will see some that have input to the decision process.

Costa is a minnow compared to the bigger fish such as Carnival, Royal, Celebrity, NCL and Princess.

Not sure about the analogy, but I think the true point is that the European model has a entirely different viewpoint because of the customers (like Carnival Australia) view.

Since you brought up "cutbacks", here's something I've thought about. I know I'm not in the minority when I say that the Playlist Productions are basically crap. Obviously, Carnival is doing what they can (whether we like it or not) to keep cruise fares affordable for the average family. However, I would not be too upset if Carnival raised their prices a few dollars per person in order to afford a live band and some better entertainment in the theater. I don't care about not having chocolates on my pillow. They weren't that good any way. I don't care one way or the other about having or not having tablecloths in the MDR. But I do miss having a live band and good entertainment in the theater.

Agreed....the loss of live bands is HUGE!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All major corporations have had "cutbacks" in recent years ,it's the corporate way.

"Nickel and Diming", there is still plenty of free options to enjoy a cruise. You do have more "choices" to spend extra.

You can buy a VW or an Escalade, pick what works. Remember "choices".

Since you brought up "cutbacks", here's something I've thought about. I know I'm not in the minority when I say that the Playlist Productions are basically crap. Obviously, Carnival is doing what they can (whether we like it or not) to keep cruise fares affordable for the average family. However, I would not be too upset if Carnival raised their prices a few dollars per person in order to afford a live band and some better entertainment in the theater. I don't care about not having chocolates on my pillow. They weren't that good any way. I don't care one way or the other about having or not having tablecloths in the MDR. But I do miss having a live band and good entertainment in the theater.

We were on the Horizon TA and the playlist Production shows were very good and they had a live band playing! Hope this trend continues.

Pat

This is the approach that needs to be taken. Forced gratuity. Restaurants do it with larger parties. It's not a new concept.

Ooooh - where was that? sounds like EXACTLY my type of excursion. :)

Went on a river bamboo raft excursion in Jamaica. Our guide cut open a cacao pod for us and we got to taste it. He also gave us a river mud leg massage. When he found out that we were teachers, he gave us a very informative and interesting ride down the river.

Dear Lord some of you folks can sure beat a dead horse.

You choose to take a vacation. You choose to cruise with Carnival. Are you forced to purchase FTTF or the Cheers packages? No! Is it a option for people who would like to spend the money to do it? Yes!

I never had a problem getting ice, my steward asked if I wanted ice, and i ALWAYS had ice in my room. He also got a nice tip for that extra service.

MDR - I love to eat, my ex husband was a chef. While I am not a professional, I know good food when I eat it. I also know what it takes to feed that many people. Is it what you would get at a 5 star restaurant? Of course not. But it is what I would expect to get in a large galley like the Carnival kitchens. Which BTW cooks the same food you get in the buffet that people like to bitch and moan about.

Room Service Charges - I don't blame them for doing it. They have people drunk calling to place orders at night, then passing out and not answering the door and getting their food. I didn't mind paying less than I would going out to eat back home to have it delivered to my room and the different options.

Annoucements/Advertisements - this is how they make money. I never found it to be excessive and I tuned most of it out. I went to the events that I wanted to go to, and ignored the ones that I didn't. Most "sales" pitches when walking around the ship received a simply, "No Thank you" and they never asked me again. But that didn't bother me. No different than walking around the mall in my hometown.

If you go on a Cruise expecting 5 star service, 5 star dining, and a out of this world experience, then Carnival is NOT the cruise line for you. Adjust your expectations.

If you want a cruise that is affordable, with options to add on based around your needs, then Carnival IMO is a good choice.

But again, it is YOUR choice. I am sure Carnival has done testing, research, and focus groups on every price, decision, idea, concept. They know what works, and would quickly change it if it didn't.

YOU may not like that, but unless more feels the same way it will not change.

I don't really care, I just want a comfortable room, decent room service, food, and mindless entertainment to unwind and relax on my hard earned vacation!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!'

My gut feeling is it would fail to stick. Airlines try this all the time with one unilaterally raising fares or increasing fees. They usually end up rolling back when the others don't follow. Once in a blue moon it might work.

I will have to do the slipping in Long Beach, the Panorama will be going there directly so I was told. They don’t always go to New York for naming ceremonies. New York had the Dream, Vista and Horizon. The Breeze was in Miami, Magic in Galveston, Sunshine in New Orleans and Splendor in Long Beach. But I digress..... I actually will have a chance to bring this up at a function in September when I will see some that have input to the decision process.

That's what I was eluding to. :D

My gut feeling is it would fail to stick. Airlines try this all the time with one unilaterally raising fares or increasing fees. They usually end up rolling back when the others don't follow. Once in a blue moon it might work.

That may be but you won't know if you don't try.

Nickel and Diming....Just a reference..Mid 1970's outside cabin on SS Norway...was priced at more than double what a Carnival outside cabin is today. The extras are there, no one forces anyone to buy or pay. And yes, prices are lower but in order to keep them there, cutbacks are needed....food is one of the first things to be impacted..and will continue to be.

One aspect of them charging tips as part of the cruise fare that I saw discussed on Cruise Critic or Facebook, is about taxes. According to that post, Carnival would have to pay income tax on those increased fares which would amount to a lot of money. I am not a CPA but that sounds likely to be true. The tips received for the crew are not considered income.

One aspect of them charging tips as part of the cruise fare that I saw discussed on Cruise Critic or Facebook, is about taxes. According to that post, Carnival would have to pay income tax on those increased fares which would amount to a lot of money. I am not a CPA but that sounds likely to be true. The tips received for the crew are not considered income.
Yes, correct! The gratuities are completely tax free and by keeping gratuities separate from the cruise fare, the cruise lines save millions in taxes!

Which is why I suggest NOT to add tips to the base rate (taxable) but make them a required addon such as as port charges (not taxable).

I admit I cannot comprehend the folks who are saying they want to go to Guy's for dinner, and that sitting in the MDR is just too much. Can't process that one... dining is a highlight of our day,

And we are glad you enjoy it, makes a shorter line at Guys for the rest of us. For some of us, sitting in the dining room for 2 hours doing the pretentious thing is not enjoyable at all. I am one of those that likes the food at Guys, and no I do not sit around all day in my swim suit drinking beer.