Drinking straws

tiger-91

Straws are bad for the environment. You won't die if your lips touch a glass. Stop being selfish and get over yourselves. The world needs less plastic crap floating around in our oceans (which is where most plastic winds up).

No straws on the Getaway 3 weeks ago, we brought our own, gave some away to some sad cruisers who did not know about the ban, But it is going much further than cruise ships. Just had dinner at a fairly nice restaurant, and when I asked for a straw was told they recently went strawless. I see ultimately straws being a thing of the past, much like smoking on airplanes/restaurants, taxi's, and pay phones.

Straws are bad for the environment. You won't die if your lips touch a glass. Stop being selfish and get over yourselves. The world needs less plastic crap floating around in our oceans (which is where most plastic winds up).

Inanimate objects are never good or bad for the environment. Lazy humans are bad for the environment.

Just because this thread has gone on for 16 pages, I am not only going to bring my own plastic straws on the boat, I am going to attach food from the buffet onto the unused straws and toss them in to the ocean to feed the poor starving turtle and fish. Can we please let this thread die??

Just because this thread has gone on for 16 pages, I am not only going to bring my own plastic straws on the boat, I am going to attach food from the buffet onto the unused straws and toss them in to the ocean to feed the poor starving turtle and fish. Can we please let this thread die??

You want this to die but felt the need to add one more post to it? LOL

We should be encouraging businesses to buy and use biodegradable straws. I don't need one every time but they're nice to have.

On the Jewel as well. It is new policy coming from Miami yesterday or today. Straws are not anymore only available on guest request but completely banned. Don’t give the bar staff a hard time about it, the guideline from Miami was pretty strict the only venue still serving plastic straws is Starbucks on the newer ships.

Which just shows how ridiculous of a policy it is. Either plastic straws are good or bad. Allowing coffee drinkers to use them while alcohol drinkers are not allowed. The big corporate coffee maker makes sure its customers get drinking straws while the patrons who don't go to the big coffee giant get none.

Total hypocrisy.

This is why people don't take environmentalists serious.

You want this to die but felt the need to add one more post to it? LOL

We should be encouraging businesses to buy and use biodegradable straws. I don't need one every time but they're nice to have.

Or we can stop worrying about political correctness and tree hugging. ;)

Which just shows how ridiculous of a policy it is. Either plastic straws are good or bad. Allowing coffee drinkers to use them while alcohol drinkers are not allowed. The big corporate coffee maker makes sure its customers get drinking straws while the patrons who don't go to the big coffee giant get none.

Total hypocrisy.

So why don't people just walk by Starbucks and grab a straw on their way to the bar??

I just bought some nice clear reusable straws. (Like in Tervis cups)

My worry now??

What if someone thinks I am using a disposable light weight plastic straw:eek:

Will I need to keep telling people "I swear it's reusable!"

Will these straws be too long for the plastic drink cups NCL uses?

There are four shorter ones and four really long ones. I tried one of the shorter ones in a plastic solo cup this evening and it was great. Plus, I got to drink an adult drink on a weeknight! ;p

I just bought some nice clear reusable straws. (Like in Tervis cups)

My worry now??

What if someone thinks I am using a disposable light weight plastic straw:eek:

Will I need to keep telling people "I swear it's reusable!"

I seriously doubt anyone is going to care whether or not you are using a disposable straw, and even if they do it is none of their business. Bring whatever type of straw floats your boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Total hypocrisy.

So if using 60,000 straws is the same as 2,000 straws to you - you'd be perfectly ok being charged 60,000 for your cruise instead of 2,000. Because, well anything more than 0 is bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So if using 60,000 straws is the same as 2,000 straws to you - you'd be perfectly ok being charged 60,000 for your cruise instead of 2,000. Because, well anything more than 0 is bad.

You are giving me flashbacks. That is what my college intro to logic class called a weak analogy :rolleyes:

Its also a poor rationalization.

A corporate coffee giant is above the rules in your opinion. Not to mention coffee straws are probably 10 times the amount of plastic in ONE of their straws compared to one cocktail straw. So even using your logic, the argument does not hold up.

I really could care less either way if NCL wants to ban straws. It just reminds me of the ridiculous world we live in where even our elected leaders have different rules for different people and/or corporations. That's my point.

It reminds me of the people who want you to bicycle to work to save the environment but fly around in private planes :eek:

You are giving me flashbacks. That is what my college intro to logic class called a weak analogy :rolleyes:

A corporate coffee giant is above the rules in your opinion. Not to mention coffee straws are probably 10 times the amount of plastic in ONE of their straws compared to one cocktail straw. So even using your logic, the argument does not hold up.

I really could care less either way if NCL wants to ban straws. It just reminds me of the ridiculous world we live in where even our elected leaders have different rules for different people and/or corporations. That's my point.

It reminds me of the people who want you to bicycle to work to save the environment but fly around in private planes :eek:

Do you realize that it was your logic? You're the one who said what's the point of stopping it with alcoholic drinks when they still are using it for coffee. I was pointing out the fallacy of your argument, not making my own argument.

I don't think people would be discussing this issue ad nauseam if NCL would have been a bit more gradual and public regarding its straw ban. On the May 26 Gem sailing, no straws were available, except for those of us who brought our own on board. Since most people use a straw for (at least) frozen drinks, and frozen drinks are extremely popular on warm-weather sailings, how about announcing the no-straw policy on NCL's website?

Better yet, I brought a pack of sturdy paper straws at my local Dollar Store. Surely NCL could at least OFFER an equivalent on their ships. That way, the sea life, the environmentalists, and the frozen drink connoisseurs would all be happy.

Surely NCL could at least OFFER an equivalent on their ships. That way, the sea life, the environmentalists, and the frozen drink connoisseurs would all be happy.

It has been reported on here by a that they received a paper straw and another poster reported that they were told paper straws were on order.

As long as we are pointing out flaws in posts, the phrase is "I couldn't care less" and not "I could care less" which means you care a great deal.

• 3 weeks later...