Drinking straws

tiger-91

I do not believe that anyone is making a joke of the trash in our oceans. I just think we are focusing on some pretty trivial matters in our attempts to save the environment. As a life-long Engineer, I can tell you that the carbon emissions from these monster cruise ships have a much more detrimental impact on the overall environment than the straws used during a cruise. Plus, almost everyone going on these cruises has to fly or drive to the departure location, adding even more carbon to the footprint. Adding in the oils and hydraulic fluids that naturally emit from these vessels, the environmental impact is pretty severe.

Are we all willing to give up our cruises until technology figures out a carbon-free replacement for the monster diesels running these cruise ships?

I expect all the environmentally conscious cruisers to transfer over to Carnival now that they will have zero-emission cruise ships.

How can you justify killing the earth by cruising in the polluters when you have an alternative that has zero emissions? Aren't your children worth it?

I expect all the environmentally conscious cruisers to transfer over to Carnival now that they will have zero-emission cruise ships.

How can you justify killing the earth by cruising in the polluters when you have an alternative that has zero emissions? Aren't your children worth it?

Nothing is true zero emission and nothing is a 100% conversion. To generate power you have to change something into power. Just like electric cars. Most electric is made from coal and a lot from nuclear power. So to charge your car actually generates more pollution then a standard gas engine. That is just one example. Work your way through it and something is going to affect the earth.

Now the other piece. I learned this when I started to fly. No rain for a while and yes you will see dirty air. Rain comes through it actually needs the pollution to bind to to create the rain drops. Then the rain actually cleans the air.

Remember two simple rules. Nothing can be created nor destroyed, the changed into something else and nature is always trying to balance things out. That happens with or without humans

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Maybe we'll bring 3,000 paper straws and sell them as folks get on and off the ship

on port days. We can bring a boom box and play Buffet songs....

If we sell 3,000 paper straws at a buck each, we can help defer all the "Free Style"

charges that seem to go up 10 to 30% every few weeks these days.

If any wants to help us sell straws at the meet and greet, let us know!

I'd rather be a cruzin' (with out straws)

Then a workin'!

Take care fellow cruisers.

All in jest as usual. :cool:

We're the Moore's

Tampa Bay

Do people use straws at home? I do not, don’t need them when I go out to eat either...

I never really thought about the “at home” question...

At home I do not because the items I drink are cold already so I need no ice so it is not a big deal. Now if I have anything out it always has ice so I always use a straw. If I bring the drink home I might fill the cup up but will still use a straw

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Nothing is true zero emission and nothing is a 100% conversion.

"Zero emission", like "organic", "safe and effective" and "USDA Choice" have specific definitions. You can look them up. Now, it is true that all veggies are indeed "organic" and not the opposite (synthetic), and even things the FDA says are "safe and effective" like Tylenol can kill you. And we all know the USDA doesn't actually inspect each and every steak that we buy with that label. But we accept the common usage of language with standardized definitions because to do otherwise we would all have to run to Internet forums and quibble about the meaning of words needlessly and obfuscate instead of illuminate, all to show how intelligent we are for not accepting the standard definition that 99% of people use.

Do people use straws at home? I do not, don’t need them when I go out to eat either...

Many people do not use them at home very often, but they probably use them for milk shakes and other frozen drinks.

Interesting comments about straws at home..who knew? I'm drinking a glass of ice tea right now without a straw...

I have bourbon on ice without a straw most every weekend.... :)

A milkshake is the only time I ever see the need for a straw. I guess I'm an outlier.

Interesting comments about straws at home..who knew? I'm drinking a glass of ice tea right now without a straw...

I have bourbon on ice without a straw most every weekend.... :)

A milkshake is the only time I ever see the need for a straw. I guess I'm an outlier.

You are right, I’m drinking water right now without a straw, but later tonight my husband will be making some some Frozen Magarittas and the will be served with a straw. That’s the time the straws we brought with us came in very handy for the frozen drinks .

Marion

For certain beverages, I use stainless steel straws @ home & work. However, I will most likely do without on our next cruise... Smoothies & frozen drinks - I'll convert to a spoon :cool:

Oops -- I just responded to straw-gate 2018, after committing I wouldn't...

I'm on the NCL Jewel and just ordered a frozen Bushwhacker at the pool bar. The bartender brought it to me and apologized that there is no straw.

I thought at first he meant they ran out or just didn't have any, but he went on to explain that the company said to no longer give out straws.

It's not easy to drink a frozen drink without a straw.

And this is the third day. I had no issues in earlier days of getting a straw. I had to ask for one each time, but I got one.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy.

To whom do I complain?

I heard it is because passengers are going in the pool with mixed drinks in hand...and sometimes dropping their drink in the pool thus losing their straw..the straws then get stuck in the filter..and then dumped at sea when they drain the pool at night..the last cruise we went on 2 years back our young son used to make a game out of it in the pool...he would dive down and see how many straws he could bring back up without using his hands or feet...he was quite good at it !!!

Just off Breakaway. There were no straws, even if you asked. I asked one bar tender if paper straws were coming, he said no.

It was fine most of the time, but I needed a straw to really, properly enjoy my post shore excursion pina colada. Next time, I'll bring my own.

We were on the Jade end of May, and they were practising the new no-straw policy 100%. The Hotel Director said they were waiting for paper straws, but he didn't know when they would be supplied with that. I actually applaude the decision of less plastic straws, all though I believe it could be practiced more flexible - especially for frozen drinks. The number of straws used on board would decline quite a bit anyway. But from the NCL standpoint, I don't understand why they couldn't wait a few weeks until they have the new type of straws instead of going through a (longer) period without any alternatives for situations when straws are kind of "needed" (frozen drinks are a good example of the decision not being thought through before executing it).

So people are getting different answers from different ships. Maybe paper straws are coming or absolutely no straws.

I'm shopping for my reusable ones now but I have a couple of months before our next cruise. Not sure how easy it will be to wash them properly in those sinks onboard:confused:

I'm shopping for my reusable ones now but I have a couple of months before our next cruise. Not sure how easy it will be to wash them properly in those sinks onboard

Most sets come with some sort of "pipe cleaner" that is long enough to clean all the way through the straw.

So, in anticipation of our August cruise, I bought a package of (disposable) straws in a neon green so I can drink my frozen concoctions. I had them on the counter so every time I looked at them, I happily anticipated our cruise. What I should've, but didn't, anticipate was the two doodles who counter-surf and thought these were new treats. Came home to all my nice neon straws all over the floor and the dog beds. I'm thinking they were just being helpful in encouraging me to get those re-usable ones and not bring the disposables. What do you think?

Just off the Sun. Brought my own straws. Watched NCL burn through tens of thousands of one time use plastic cups. Why not use reusable plastic like Royal does?

Because that would require a significant investment. On their part. That’s why it’s a joke.

My work uses “compostable plastic cups” which, btw, are NOT recyclable.

I was snorkelling on GSC years ago and way down in the water I did see plastic cups. My ears cannot take the pressure so I couldn’t dive for them but I did write a letter to the HD back on ship and later corporate....crickets....

I definitely do. I have a big problem with ice suddenly hitting me in the face ever since the ice makers went to those half moon shapes...

Seems like straws should be given upon request. It’s hard to drink a slushy drink without one. Just my opinion.

At the end of the day, there are hundreds of things that are automatically yet unnecessarily distributed. I live in a desert climate where water is an issue, yet restaurants always seem to plunk down a glass of water -- which I rarely touch -- without asking. I order a drink in a bar and they stick in a little 4 inch stir/straw thing that I immediately set aside and don't use. The right thing to do with this straws on NCL deal is to not give them out unless requested and have paper straws available when people ask. It sounds like NCL is on the right path but isn't there yet.