How Old is Too Old

Hi All,

This may be a loaded question but how old is too old to cruise? We are considering taking a family cruise for my grandmother's 90th Birthday. She will actually be 90.5 by the time we go. Would you feel comfortable bringing a 90 year old on a cruise if they are in fairly good health but did have a double bypass a few years earlier? My main concern is that she has reactive blood pressure so that would be our biggest concern. We so badly want her to be able to do this but is it unrealistic? Please, be gentle with your replies. Not looking to start a major debate. Thank you!

Hi All,

This may be a loaded question but how old is too old to cruise? We are considering taking a family cruise for my grandmother's 90th Birthday. She will actually be 90.5 by the time we go. Would you feel comfortable bringing a 90 year old on a cruise if they are in fairly good health but did have a double bypass a few years earlier? My main concern is that she has reactive blood pressure so that would be our biggest concern. We so badly want her to be able to do this but is it unrealistic? Please, be gentle with your replies. Not looking to start a major debate. Thank you!

In my opinion there is no age that is "too old" to cruise. I think what it boils down to is asking your grandmother's doctor whether she is healthy enough to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All,

Age is just a number, I would not base someone's ability to cruise based on age. If your grandmother is in good health and wants to cruise, I would say, go for it. I would consider her ability to walk and bring a transport chair or wheelchair to make things easier for her and not tire her out too much. I would also consider asking for a shower chair so she will be stable in the shower and not have to worry about the movement of the ship.

You said she'll be 90.5. I think you're ok. If she would have 90.6, then it's a definite no.

I'm kidding.

Best bet is to ask her doctor before you make plans and just before taking the trip (make sure you get insurance).

I agree with all others. It´s not the number, it´s the health conditions someone is in.

100 could be fine for one person, while 70 for another one could be too old already;)

It´s all about what she feels about it.

I would also suggest maybe pricing some really good cruise insurance for any potential medical issues or last minute cancellations, and making sure you understand their limits on coverage due to age or pre-existing conditions, etc.

I noticed you said she has reactive blood pressure. Has she been on a cruise before? There can be elements of it that may be stressful, but maybe not so much if she's been on one before and isn't bothered. I don't have reactive blood pressure, but for me the flying, (I'm terrified), and the embarking and disembarking can be a little stressful. Sometimes the crowds in particular areas (muster) or the loudness can be a little anxiety inducing, but I think there are plenty of ways to shield her from that. The nice thing about the cruise is that she can do as much or as little as she wants and there are always plenty of opportunities for peace and quiet.

As long as you have your mental faculties about you, and are in relative good health, I don't think any age is too old. In fact, Malaysia's new prime minister is 93, and is very sharp and physically mobile. If a 90+ year old can run a country, then they can cruise.

It really depends on what her doctor has to say. You can’t go strictly by age. My aunt passed away (congestive heart failure) the day after Easter last year at 92. She worked and drove her car up until the previous Thursday. My late MIL, OTOH, was nursing home material at 84. It’s all about the individual. As others have said, bring a folding wheelchair, get a shower chair, and don’t forget about insurance.

We cruised with my then-78 year old mother and her best friend from high school. Though they were the same age, they had entirely different cruise experiences. It was too much for my mom. Her friend had a blast. Age is just a number. If your grandmother is active, go for it. If she has trouble moving around you might want to consider other options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ninety is just a number. What is important is her health and physical condition.

I live in a neighborhood where there are people in their 80's and 90's riding their bicycles and doing yoga poses that would tax an 8 year old.

Hi All,

The best thing to do, and it's good you are asking, is to have a visit with her Doctor. She has some medical concerns as you stated and a cruise, generally is not that stressful. I have scene many older people on cruises all enjoying their families, and when I'm 90, I hope to be one of them.

Hi All,

My mother-in-law is scheduled to go on a cruise with her two sons and their families the week of Thanksgiving...she will be 96 when they sail. She has mobility issues but very much enjoys reading, people watching, watching videos on her iPad (eldest purchased wifi packages for her), etc. She plans on staying on the ship the entire time (we were asked to go but there is no way I would waste vacation days to spend with a couple of those people...but that's a different subject).

That said, there is a chance she will cancel. She is being told Saturday that great-grandchild #4 will arrive either the day they fly to the port city or while they are on the cruise. My daughter-in-law's doctor has already said she doesn't let mothers go more than a week past due date. I have a feeling when she hears the news she will cancel.

A few years ago our family (30+) took an aunt and uncle on a cruise (Indy over thanksgiving) to celebrate their 70th anniversary. They were 92 and 93 at the time. We stopped at the promenade every night around midnight to say goodnight to them while they were having tea and cookies. We all had a blast . BTW they live in Florida and sail often. They have medical issues but it's like being in independent living for them--dinner, entertainment, housekeeping services, etc. They enjoy it.

I guess what it comes down to, know your travelers. Do they like being with family and are they interested in something new.

As others have said, check with the doctor. My dad, a very very wise man, loved to cruise. We took a family cruise - his last one when he was 80. He had uncontrollable blood pressure - the kind that goes way up and way down. After that cruise, he decided as much as he loved it, it was not the right choice anymore for him. The medical facilities onboard are not equipped to deal with such serious issues. He needed to have access to hospital level care and that's just not happening on a cruise.

I've seen many healthy seniors onboard and good on them. I've also seen some folks who truly have no business being on a cruise ship due to obvious health or age issues. While I applaud their desire to travel, there are some seniors who should be on land vacations and not on a cruise ship.

The important questions are to ask your grandmother if she is truly comfortable with the idea, ask her doctor and be prepared for your group to take turns assisting her depending on her physical and mental abilities. Best of luck - seems like you are giving this some thought and will make a decision that is right for you and your family.

I wouldn’t base the decision on age. My parents are both 85 and as far as health issues they are like night and day. Mom needs an aid to get her dressed and in and out of bed. These days my father walks better than me an is probably more fit for a cruise than I am at 58.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another factor is how you will get to the cruise, does she live close enough for it to be a short drive or are you going to be having her fly too?

Where will the cruise be going? Is it 2+ sea days until the first stop?

Definitely look into cruise insurance that includes cancel for any reason coverage, we like Nationwide but you may want to compare the cost.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'd absolutely speak with her doctors and get clearance before we went and I do think travel insurance is necessary, especially in this situation. She loves to cruise but is a bit apprehensive about going. It would be Christmas time and she is worried that the ship will be crazy. I've explained to her that the ship is only so big and wont get bigger just because it's xmas. It can only hold a max amount of people. There have been some really good tips given to me here so I will talk to her further. I will admit, it is scary taking her on something like this because there would be a fair amount of travel that has to be done (flying in to FL from AZ) and I do worry about the ship's medical facilities. I'd hate to need medical intervention while on the ship. Those things do go through your mind. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and we will continue to explore.

My mum flew to Australia at 90, then to Hong Kong and Dubai where she cruised at 91, then to Rome for a cruise, later that year; and this year she has done a cruise already......you only live once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP: Sounds like you got your answer and are looking into the right things (travel insurance, flights from AZ to FL, etc.)

I'll echo that age is nothing but a number. My wife's great-aunt joined us on her first cruise when she was 87. She even climbed up the rock wall! (ok, only about 3 feet, but still!).

And of course, once onboard the cruise you can be as active or as relaxed as you choose.

Hope this can be successful for you - a 90th birthday family cruise sounds great!

I met a guy in his 90s and his fitness would put many 20 somethings to shame. We chatted most nights in the concierge lounge and he walks miles and miles every day. Amazing man who really looked after himself. The only problem was he was hard of hearing so didn't realise that when he commented a large mans weight the entire lounge heard it.