Feeling rather depressed - Celebrity Summit

Marleycruiser

I waited a bit too long to book this Summit cruise to Bermuda and now my wife and I are in disagreement with regards to the cabin we should book.

It would be great to get some input from the "experts." Long story long, we can get a Suite for $1400 more in total. Additionally, we would get an additional $400 so in all it really is more like $1000 more for the entire trip.

We did this identical trip last year, and truly enjoyed the Suite perks, particularly, Luminae, Michaels Club, and priority boarding/disembarking. It really made the trip and allowed us to just relax and meet some pretty neat people without the feeling of being herded like cattle. The other perks (butler + slightly larger room) really was not that big of a deal for us but the three previously mentioned perks truly made this vacation in 2017 having us come back for more in 2018.

So my question to you all is am I crazy for paying an extra $1500 for suite perks? I need to decide by tonight as there was a courtesy hold put on the reservation.

Thank you very much in advance.

Only you know what you can afford, and what the value is to you. You also need to consider if you will feel like you are missing something that you had last time. I firmly believe in spending money on experiences that I will spend months thinking about before, and years after - so spending about $140 a day for this would be a very quick “yes, book the suite” from me. I just made the final payment on the Penthouse today. Life is short...

What category do you have now, and what perks do you have now?

With a suite, do you get all 4 perks, including the premium beverage package? If so, I would seriously consider it.

Brother in law just called me........ Said they were booking the suite and so are we!

Thanks folks.....

To answer some questions, I did not have anything booked but the $1400 was the difference in cabin... other than additional onboard credit, all perks are the same....

One other nice touch which i don't know if people discussed, was being on the bow of the Summit when she departed Bermuda... It was just a nice touch.

Good for you. For $1400 I would be tempted too but I also know that it could set a trend I cannot afford going forward.......and for me the bev package is a wasted perk and our TA pays the grats.....but it tempting...

Sounds like a good decision to me. Congratulations!

I always book concierge (but have only been on S Class) - really want to try the suite experience, but at the times of year I can travel, the sky suite price on the S class is usually double my concierge rate, so it's always been out of reach. I'd jump at only paying an extra $1000-$1400.... :)

Enjoy enjoy enjoy :)

Sounds like a good decision to me. Congratulations!

I always book concierge (but have only been on S Class) - really want to try the suite experience, but at the times of year I can travel, the sky suite price on the S class is usually double my concierge rate, so it's always been out of reach. I'd jump at only paying an extra $1000-$1400.... :)

Enjoy enjoy enjoy :)

Yes, I know that feeling :(. Oh to be retired :cool:.

Yes, I know that feeling :(. Oh to be retired :cool:.

We thought we would save a fortune once we retired...Somehow every itinerary we seem to fancy isn’t cheap....then we are very room faddy and worry if we wait for last minute offers we won’t get the room we want...then we look at 2019 in the Mediterranean and there is no off season it is mega expensive all year!

Then if we look further afield there is the issue of airline costs...if we wait until near the time to look for a ‘deal’ I can guarantee that what I save in cruise fare I will then pay out in more expensive (and usually less convenient) flights!

The beauty of being retired for us is being able to choose whatever itinerary we want and extending our cruises with land stays beyond ‘two week limits’....as to getting bargains....we are yet to find one!

OP....once you have experienced the very sweet, suite life it is hard to go back! Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

We thought we would save a fortune once we retired...Somehow every itinerary we seem to fancy isn’t cheap....then we are very room faddy and worry if we wait for last minute offers we won’t get the room we want...then we look at 2019 in the Mediterranean and there is no off season it is mega expensive all year!

Then if we look further afield there is the issue of airline costs...if we wait until near the time to look for a ‘deal’ I can guarantee that what I save in cruise fare I will then pay out in more expensive (and usually less convenient) flights!

The beauty of being retired for us is being able to choose whatever itinerary we want and extending our cruises with land stays beyond ‘two week limits’....as to getting bargains....we are yet to find one!

OP....once you have experienced the very sweet, suite life it is hard to go back! Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

I know, I could go in a suite in the Caribbean for less than a week in the Med in a basic balcony in 2019 :mad:.

I know, I could go in a suite in the Caribbean for less than a week in the Med in a basic balcony in 2019 :mad:.

I strongly suspect those prices will plummet significantly in the coming months. I've had a look at them and feel the same as you and Chemmo.

On the flipside, I've found 2018 12 night Med deals with a celebrity suite for less than a week long Caribbean Edge sky suite, and as the Edge Caribbean itineraries are not what many would call exciting I know which I'd value the most. Both come with all four perks.

I strongly suspect those prices will plummet significantly in the coming months. I've had a look at them and feel the same as you and Chemmo.

On the flipside, I've found 2018 12 night Med deals with a celebrity suite for less than a week long Caribbean Edge sky suite, and as the Edge Caribbean itineraries are not what many would call exciting I know which I'd value the most. Both come with all four perks.

Yes, but we have to cruise in the peak school holiday seasons i.e. summer, Christmas, Easter etc :(, otherwise I’d be jumping on that Eclipse sailing out of Barcelona ;). I also suspect they will have to start dropping, I mentioned that on another thread a few weeks ago - $3000pp for 7 nights in a basic balcony...I think not :eek:.

I waited a bit too long to book this Summit cruise to Bermuda and now my wife and I are in disagreement with regards to the cabin we should book.

It would be great to get some input from the "experts." Long story long, we can get a Suite for $1400 more in total. Additionally, we would get an additional $400 so in all it really is more like $1000 more for the entire trip.

We did this identical trip last year, and truly enjoyed the Suite perks, particularly, Luminae, Michaels Club, and priority boarding/disembarking. It really made the trip and allowed us to just relax and meet some pretty neat people without the feeling of being herded like cattle. The other perks (butler + slightly larger room) really was not that big of a deal for us but the three previously mentioned perks truly made this vacation in 2017 having us come back for more in 2018.

So my question to you all is am I crazy for paying an extra $1500 for suite perks? I need to decide by tonight as there was a courtesy hold put on the reservation.

Thank you very much in advance.

Go for the suite! Have been on the summit 8 times and the suite experience is well worth it. Michaels club is a wonderful oasis as is Luminae. While the summit isn't the most crowded of the ships- the extra service you get from your butler and from the entire staff worth the extra money. We love the extra room in both the bathroom and suite. If you can snag 6145 or 6146 the bathrooms are the best! Enjoy

We love suites and the perks and as long as we can afford them we will book them. Cel brity has the best perks micheals and Luminae are truly great , celebrity perks are better than rccl and way better than Hal. The only problem is you will not want to book another normal cabin.

Only because you asked what we think of it:

Would love the suite! Who doesn't! But would prefer to take a lesser cabin and put the $1400 towards another cruise and cruise more. But you should know best what you want an can do. Good luck, enjoy your cruise.

Only you know what you can afford, and what the value is to you. You also need to consider if you will feel like you are missing something that you had last time. I firmly believe in spending money on experiences that I will spend months thinking about before, and years after - so spending about $140 a day for this would be a very quick “yes, book the suite” from me. I just made the final payment on the Penthouse today. Life is short...

Your points are all very valid. It's an individual choice. We joined a couple last fall for a Princess four day cruise (west coast from California) and settled for a standard veranda stateroom. Not a good choice after having sailed Celebrity in a Sky and Royal.

Life is indeed short and there is no need to leave a lot of cash for our kids, right? They can work and save like we did. :cool:

Thanks - I made the right decision after getting some good feedback above.

To me an extra $200 per night is worth it, particularly with all of the extra perks.

Throwing this to another vacation is not an option as we will hopefully be pregnant by then and won't be taking a real vacation for a few years.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks - I made the right decision after getting some good feedback above.

To me an extra $200 per night is worth it, particularly with all of the extra perks.

Throwing this to another vacation is not an option as we will hopefully be pregnant by then and won't be taking a real vacation for a few years.

Thanks again everyone.

Good point. Once the little ones start arriving it will likely be many years before you can afford (or will want) to cruise again. Just saying..... do it whilst you can and spoil yourselves a bit. That's what cruising is about. :halo:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, but we have to cruise in the peak school holiday seasons i.e. summer, Christmas, Easter etc :(, otherwise I’d be jumping on that Eclipse sailing out of Barcelona ;). I also suspect they will have to start dropping, I mentioned that on another thread a few weeks ago - $3000pp for 7 nights in a basic balcony...I think not :eek:.

I understand.

I also think that Celebrity monitor these boards more than some might realise. ;)

When I said it would be hard to not do a suite after doing one on these boards, I was slammed for it! I know? It is your life, your money and you opportunity cost! Enjoy!

Edited by Lastdance

When I said it would be hard to not do a suite after doing one on these boards, I was slammed for it! I know? It is your life, your money and you opportunity cost! Enjoy!

Celebrity just cancelled my aug 2019 Summit cruise to Bermuda! They also cancelled our March Edge cruise a few months ago...corporate charters. Not feeling the love ! we will be on Royal next!