Travel Agent or Book yourself

My first cruise was booked by a travel agent. Since then I've booked every one myself. It's fun and I enjoy it. It kind of forces you to learn all you can about cabins/cabin types/locations/differences in cabins/itineraries/ships/on and on. No one knows what I like and appreciate but me. I also have the flexibility to change anything about the cruise when I want to. There are MANY websites to help you along the way where you can look at cabin availability(cruise line websites usually leave a few cabins off the table) and pictures and locations of various cabins.

I think you should do it yourself!

I couldn't agree more. Do your homework. Make all those decisions.

THEN, call your TA and get a 10% discount. That way you have the fun and enjoyment of the process and still get a big discount.

I tried comparing with a TA once before, I didn't get a better deal. Probably because I was being offer true "sale" prices already. I don't have enough experience with it to know the difference though. I feel like the people who claim they get all of this "Free" stuff are like the people who tell you they win at gambling all of the time, but never the big picture.

I believe it is best to research whatever cruise you are interested in for a length of time to get an idea of the price fluctuations and the associated benefits, then we always book through Choice Privileges. They have a low price guarantee and award you with points that can be used for cruise discounts, motel stays, gift cards and various other products. We have accumulated enough points on one occasion to deduct $500.00 off the cost of the cruise and our upcoming cruise we got $250.00 off. Also, if you see that the price has went down after you have booked it you can frequently rebook it for the reduced price through Choice Privileges, but they do add a rebooking charge of I think $100. You can further increase your points on the program by getting their no-annual fee credit card.

It works good for us and we use the benefits associated with this program to the full benefits.

I have always booked my own because we usually take the cheapest cabin and don't care about the drink packages. I dont see the need to call someone and give them the details of the homework that I have already done. I have found it much easier just to go through RCCL or other lines. I also have been pretty lucky with snagging OBC and/or upgrade with cabins at times. I definitely prefer calling the cruise line directly.

Same For Me!!

Mike

I tried comparing with a TA once before, I didn't get a better deal. Probably because I was being offer true "sale" prices already. I don't have enough experience with it to know the difference though. I feel like the people who claim they get all of this "Free" stuff are like the people who tell you they win at gambling all of the time, but never the big picture.

The only time you can get a true sale price is if a travel agency has a group booking and can pass the savings on to it's customers. Otherwise, they should all be charging the same price as the cruise lines. If you aren't getting at least 10% of the cruise price in perks such as obc, specialty restaurants, or gratuities, you aren't trying.

I like the attitude that if I can't find it, it's not there, people must be telling less than the truth.

We always book through the cruiseline to get any offered OBC then transfer the booking to our agent because she always offers some OBC - that is real money we use to pay for gratuities. Our agent knows we don't drink wine, don't do specialty dining, etc. We want cash equivalents only.

We have had the same online agent for years and we have received enough OBC to pay for a couple of short trips. A few weeks after our Galapagos trip, we received a $1000.00 check from our agent.

I have never had an issue using an agent that was not quickly resolved. Generally, it was a small typop on our paperwork, etc. Price drops before final payment are easily gotten with a quick phone call.

If you know what your looking for (seasoned travelers/cruisers) then book it yourself then transfer (as others have said).

But if you don't, that's when you need a trusted TA (not to rip you off) or a CC friend who can guide you.

Everyone has a distinct comfort level of how they handle their cruise reservations. I pretty much do the research, from ship, cabin, & itenarary. I book direct w/ RCL, then transfer to the TA that offers me the most for my work/cruise. The amount of perks is worth it for us. And my experieince shows that historically, if you book when the itenaries are first released, prices are at the lowest. While I often check, I've yet to see a price drop lower than our price on any of our cruises. The amount of savings of OBC, paid gratuities, Specialty Dinners etc, really helps when booking the excursions for the cruise.

I am pretty sure you don't get the "big picture".

This is a very nieve comparison and makes zero sense.

The online TA has the same prices as the cruiseline website

But they are able to give you extra onboard credit and paid gratuities.

On my last trip I was given gratuities for our family(4 x 91=$364) + additional $200 obcredit.

Yes the extras add-up and I never have to deal with the RC website & RC phone reps.

Thanks for all the imput.. I may try booking my next cruise myself.. cause I was thinking.. I pick out everything before hand and used to just tell my travel agent what I exactly to book..

I do all my research myself, so I know what I want and when we want to sail. I do use a travel agent every time because I get extra perks that I don't get when booking directly with a cruise line.

For example, my cruise on Allure that is coming up soon, we are staying in a Boardwalk balcony so we get the soda package, a Johnny Rockets meal ( no loss to me for either of these if we didn't get them) and a rock climbing lesson, which we will never use. Also Royal Caribbean is giving us $75 OBC.

Our travel agent is giving us an additional $140 OBC and a free dinner in a specialty restaurant. To us, it's far better to use an agency that gives us the extras.