booking when schedule first opens--questions for those who cruise a lot

goat rancher

Hi,

I know this question has been asked in different ways but I am still struggling with the best solution.

We are hoping to book a Vista cabin on a cruise in early 2020 and know there are very limited numbers of them.

My concern is whether to "bite the bullet" and book now or wait for the next promotional sale.

The cabins were just released a couple of days ago and so of course there are no sales/promotions associated with them right now. The prices are SUBSTANTIALLY HIGHER for the cabin we want in 2020 compared to the same cabin and itinerary in 2019---by about $1200 more expensive (OUCH)

For those who are "used to" all the ins and outs, do you see any trends that the initial prices ARE inflated and that it pays to wait a bit to book or do they pretty much stay at whatever amount they were first listed? I guess I was just shocked at the price differential between years, If I just need to wait till the next promotion then I will, but if it ultimately doesn't make that much of a difference (ie..add a perk, but raise the base price) then I guess I should just get the cabin while it is available.

Thanks for any advice

Like most things, the answer is it depends... What's more important to you: the price or cabin? If you book early, you guarantee you get the cabin you want. If you watch the fares, and there's a special, Princess will let you know if the new pricing is better for you - we generally book early since there are only a few cabins we want to stay in. Then I watch the prices frequently. Once I see a price drop or new promotion, I call my travel agent, and I generally get the newer deal. The risk you take by waiting until the deal you want is offered, the cabin you want may not be.

With the new Landmark sale, the price for the cabin I had previously booked for a cruise in July 2019 stayed the same, but now I have an additional $250 per person onboard credit. Plus, there are no longer any cabins we'd want to cruise in. If you don't care what cabin you are in, then i might be better to wait for a deal.

i'd book to get the cabin you want and wait for a sale then re-fare. i've always been able to get the lower fare if its before final payment.

what are you risking by booking? without any promotion, your deposit is refundable isn't it? i'm not sure why you wouldn't unless you can't have the deposit monies tied up for a couple of years.

There is no downside to booking now, provided that the deposit is refundable (I don't do non-refundable deposits!) That way, you lock in the cabin that you want or need. Later, when a deal comes out that you like, you can re-fare the booking--pick up the deal that you like and keep the cabin that you want. If the cruise is approaching and you haven't found a deal that you are happy about, you can cancel the cruise.

I am shocked when I see some of the last minute fares, but I can't get the cabins we need at those prices. I've also seen prices drop on cruises before the last minute deals, but when I factor in the perks that I'd lose by re-faring, they are surprisingly close!

For the suites, book early! Yes, you're right - the new prices are really high. Not just for Princess but for almost ALL of the cruise lines. Watch the pricing and if you see the price drop and the new promotion doesn't say, "for new bookings only", then get the lower price. If you can't get the lower price for some reason and it's before your final payment date, cancel and re-book if you think you can get the same cabin again.

For the suites, book early! Yes, you're right - the new prices are really high. Not just for Princess but for almost ALL of the cruise lines. Watch the pricing and if you see the price drop and the new promotion doesn't say, "for new bookings only", then get the lower price. If you can't get the lower price for some reason and it's before your final payment date, cancel and re-book if you think you can get the same cabin again.

As to how to rebook and get the cabin again....I literally was at my computer and on the phone to my TA. As soon as she released the existing booking, I hit the key and put a hold on the "new" booking. That grabbed the cabin, at which time I could be more relaxed about transferring it to her.

In my experience, the price of the full suites usually remains the same. Between now and 2020 there will be many different promotions. The prices could always increase between now and then too, but I can’t recall full suites having significant price reductions.

If your category is so limited, you would be best to book what you want now.

If you book now and see a promotion later, the new promotion will not apply to Vista Suites unless not all of them are already booked. If sold out, there is no new price and/or promotions to apply.

I have been booking suites the day they are released for many years. I like certain cabins so that is why I book right away. I look at prices every day and have never received a price decrease because the suites have been sold out. But this past year, I have found some still available. From talking to others who normally book suites, they are not real happy with the loss of suite perks and have switched to minis or other lines.

So, if you want one, book it right away.

i i've always been able to get the lower fare if its before final payment.

As long as the "promotion" hasn't changed, you can even get a refund after final payment if the price drops. At least I did for my recent California Coastal.

If you are particular to a specific type of suite than I'd book asap. You can always watch for price drops till final payment.

Since I'm not specific on my type of suite-almost any will do-just yesterday I upgraded myself to a suite for a cruise in August. Several had opened up after the final payment so I had a few to choose from.

If you book now and see a promotion later, the new promotion will not apply to Vista Suites unless not all of them are already booked. If sold out, there is no new price and/or promotions to apply.

Yes, should've added that. The OP will have to have an available, unbooked Vista Suite to get pricing for a price drop. ;)

Yes, should've added that. The OP will have to have an available, unbooked Vista Suite to get pricing for a price drop. ;)

True, to get a price drop on any cabin, that category of cabin must still be available. For suites this is often not the case. For example, prices on penthouses will drop but you have an owners and those are sold out. Hence, no price drop. However, I have frequently rebooked a sold out suite class if the sale was a promo offering sip and sail or OBC.............Of course you lose any promotions on the original booking so please run the numbers.

I have been booking suites the day they are released for many years. I like certain cabins so that is why I book right away. I look at prices every day and have never received a price decrease because the suites have been sold out. But this past year, I have found some still available. From talking to others who normally book suites, they are not real happy with the loss of suite perks and have switched to minis or other lines.

So, if you want one, book it right away.

Just curious, what reduction of suite perks are you referring to?

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice....

I think my main decision is--do I want to commit to the cruise or not. If so, book now.....

I was kind of hoping the deposits weren't as high as they are right now.

I am paying on a cruise for 2019 so would have rather kept the deposit on 2020 low, but the deposit for the cabin I am looking for is a bit over $1100 right now. (I had been figuring on about $800 deposit if there were no promotions going on for low "non-refundable" deposits so the $1100 down was an additional sticker shock). I know that doesn't seem like a lot in the full scale of things, but when you're on a budget and paying on another cruise, well it pinches a bit :rolleyes:. Now if that lucky lotto ticket would just come in......

Thanks again...it really helps to get all this input:)