17 year old with student ID?

Had same issue when my Daughter and Son were 10/12 looked 17/18, Son almost 6 foot. "What do you mean they don't have a Drivers Licence?"

Really? My 19 year old niece doesn’t have a drivers license. In my state, you need to be at least 17 for one, and a lot of kids are choosing to wait (insurance is very high). My mom didn’t get one until she was 23 because she lived in a city with no car.

Really? My 19 year old niece doesn’t have a drivers license. In my state, you need to be at least 17 for one, and a lot of kids are choosing to wait (insurance is very high). My mom didn’t get one until she was 23 because she lived in a city with no car.

Was right after 9/11, kids really looked like adults and had no pictured ID, not even a school ID then. More then once on ship waiters thought my 12 yr old daughter was my wife... Was in ARMY 17 yrs, medically retired in 2000. Post 9/11 went back on Active Duty, so once my kids got their Military Dependent ID's wasn't an issue anymore...

Indeed. My son is a sophomore and all it lists on his school issued ID is his name, photo, grade and the high school's name.

Not to mention.....how would anyone looking at the school ID have any idea whether the high school named was indeed a public school (i.e. that the school ID is a "government" issued ID) or a private school?

Poor advice regarding insurance ! You may have coverage for a medical issue, but most people do not, including Medicare. Even if a person has medical insurance they still need to be aware of evacuation insurance. Accidents and illnesses can happen to all age groups.

Why do people assume you are not covered for medical cost "out of network"? Although out of network is often more complicated to get covered, it is commonly covered. You do have to pay first, and submit you invoices. Now the only way a person needs evacuation insurance, is in the rare case of a really bad event. Medicare is a government program acting as an insurance, and they only cover USA costs, as being taxpayer money. The reality is sometimes that you actually get the same service, and cheaper cost than what you would get at home, and after your deductible you might actually save money.

No one wants a medical flight out of a country, and it is rare that it's needed.

Most "add-on" insurance policies sold for all kinds of reasons, have one purpose and that's to make a huge profit, on fears of people. Why do you think policies are sold at point of sale so much? It's easy to say, what if, and than at that moment, you pay for it.

For a healthy young person, it's extremely unlikely it would be needed. For an elderly traveler, maybe more so, unless they carry their own insurance instead of a government run program.

Indeed. My son is a sophomore and all it lists on his school issued ID is his name, photo, grade and the high school's name.

While I think it's best to travel with a passport, i agree that in this particular situation the OP will have a much easier time getting a state ID for this girl than a passport. Plus, passports cost around $180.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

not really

I traveled on a student ID. It was a few years back and allowed eventually, but it was a nightmare. Every check point they had to call over supervisors for the "can we accept this?" conversation. This happened several times through the airport, just for a domestic flight, and I was with my own mom. I wish we'd taken the time to get a "real" ID as it would have saved so much stress.

And now, with REAL ID coming into play, a student ID will not work for flying, even domestically.

Heck, many driver's licenses will not work.

Why do people assume you are not covered for medical cost "out of network"? Although out of network is often more complicated to get covered, it is commonly covered.

Some programs cover out of network. And some cover out of the country. But the two issues are not the same thing.

So you can have out of network coverage, but not out of country.

Bottom line, each person should READ their terms and conditions and find out what is actually covered.

Why do people assume you are not covered for medical cost "out of network"? Although out of network is often more complicated to get covered, it is commonly covered. You do have to pay first, and submit you invoices. Now the only way a person needs evacuation insurance, is in the rare case of a really bad event. Medicare is a government program acting as an insurance, and they only cover USA costs, as being taxpayer money. The reality is sometimes that you actually get the same service, and cheaper cost than what you would get at home, and after your deductible you might actually save money.

No one wants a medical flight out of a country, and it is rare that it's needed.

Most "add-on" insurance policies sold for all kinds of reasons, have one purpose and that's to make a huge profit, on fears of people. Why do you think policies are sold at point of sale so much? It's easy to say, what if, and than at that moment, you pay for it.

For a healthy young person, it's extremely unlikely it would be needed. For an elderly traveler, maybe more so, unless they carry their own insurance instead of a government run program.

Out of network is not the same as out of the country. There is a big difference and people need to check their personal policy.

As for healthy young people not needing insurance that's really Inadvisable. "Healthy young people" have accidents, probably more frequently than old folks. Have heard of broken wrists and collarbones on beach fun activities, not to mention cuts requiring stitches, appendicitis, etc.

Worked in health care for many years and know how expensive it can be. Not having health insurance is foolish.

I would try and get an expedited Passport but as a precaution, I would also go ahead and get a state issued ID just incase the Passport does not get there in time.

I would be hesitant to take someone else's kid out of the country with proper identification to fly back if need be. Or some other issue arise.

Out of network is not the same as out of the country. There is a big difference and people need to check their personal policy.

As for healthy young people not needing insurance that's really Inadvisable. "Healthy young people" have accidents, probably more frequently than old folks. Have heard of broken wrists and collarbones on beach fun activities, not to mention cuts requiring stitches, appendicitis, etc.

Worked in health care for many years and know how expensive it can be. Not having health insurance is foolish.

Agree, well said...

While I think it's best to travel with a passport, i agree that in this particular situation the OP will have a much easier time getting a state ID for this girl than a passport. Plus, passports cost around $180.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have the means and the time and are willing to help get her the passport, that will make things so much easier for her for later. Not just for the cruise but for starting her adult life. My daughters boyfriend comes from an odd family situation and although its cost us extra money and time to do some things for him, in the end, it feels good knowing that he won't slip through the cracks because he comes from a non-typical home

I really wish people would stop and actually READ. The minor child is 17! Last I checked, that's OLDER than 16. If you look at the form you attached, it is for "ISSUANCE OF A U.S. PASSPORT TO A MINOR UNDER AGE 16". It is likely one parent would have to be there with the minor when applying, to establish identity with the parent's ID. That's it. Even in the case of 16 and under, if one parent isn't able to attend, they can complete a "statement of consent". Been there, done all of this.

Thank you.

My medical plan will only pay for "in network providers", if I don't use one of them then I get bupkiss from my plan. I don't really want to have to worry about finding an in network provider when in a foreign country and with travel insurance I don't have to. As far as medevac it may be rare, but if required it can cost upwards of $25000. Since that amount would cause financial ruin I choose to pay a small amount to make sure that if the rare event happens I won't have to file bankruptcy to recover from it.

My medical plan will only pay for "in network providers", if I don't use one of them then I get bupkiss from my plan. I don't really want to have to worry about finding an in network provider when in a foreign country and with travel insurance I don't have to. As far as medevac it may be rare, but if required it can cost upwards of $25000. Since that amount would cause financial ruin I choose to pay a small amount to make sure that if the rare event happens I won't have to file bankruptcy to recover from it.

My plan pays for out of network, but a very small percentage (paid $1000 towards a $20,000 surgery), I don’t think they cover anything outside the US.