Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

We could really care less if you wore your flannel bath robe to the pool, spa, or anywhere else on the cruise. We have no control over your attire, we mind our own business, and we simply make a decision to enjoy our cruise and not let what others wear or do impact that enjoyment.

What else are we supposed to do? Huff and puff and complain to others about it? No thanks. It comes down to our personal opinion and not judging others by our practices. No different than when we travel by land.

The memories that we bring back from a cruise are about good times with each other, other cruisers, the ship, and places we visit. They are not about someone wearing jeans somewhere or a tshirt, or bathrobe to the pool, or topless on the top deck, or whatever the issue de jour is. It they were, we may as well stay home.

This post makes more sense than a lot of them and I agree. I just want to chill and enjoy my vacation. Why would I care what someone else wears?

This post makes more sense than a lot of them and I agree. I just want to chill and enjoy my vacation. Why would I care what someone else wears?
Agreed. The vast majority of such concern are about situations where those being complained about aren't violating any requirements and are not depriving other passengers of anything those other passengers were promised.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

I'm in the camp of "who cares." Personally, I like going less formal on vacation as it means less packing, especially since we fly to ports and have been taking longer and longer cruises. Plus, I dress up daily for work. I'm fine with a tie and a collared shirt; inI just grateful Holland America has done away with the requirement for a coat.

I really don’t care what others wear either, and nothing that anyone else wears impacts my enjoyment of my cruise. But I’m also happy that Holland America still has a dress code and for the most part they enforce it. So as long as everyone reads the dress code, they can wear whatever they want within the parameters of the dress code. And even though it has gotten quite a bit more relaxed in recent years, it’s still better than the “free style” on other cruise lines. And finally, I’ve seen very few (I mean VERY few) people on a Holland America cruise who don’t dress acceptably for the main dining room. Those who don’t, usually get stopped by the matre’d before they enter the MDR. [emoji483]

We could really care less if you wore your flannel bath robe to the pool, spa, or anywhere else on the cruise. We have no control over your attire, we mind our own business, and we simply make a decision to enjoy our cruise and not let what others wear or do impact that enjoyment.

What else are we supposed to do? Huff and puff and complain to others about it? No thanks. It comes down to our personal opinion and not judging others by our practices. No different than when we travel by land.

The memories that we bring back from a cruise are about good times with each other, other cruisers, the ship, and places we visit. They are not about someone wearing jeans somewhere or a tshirt, or bathrobe to the pool, or topless on the top deck, or whatever the issue de jour is. It they were, we may as well stay home.

Anyone who thinks different from this are fashion police. 🤣🤣

There you go, tagging people with an intended derogatory nickname just because their opinion may differ from yours. That’s the hypocrisy of people who claim to be tolerant and “don’t care”, when in reality, they seem to care more than the fashion police. IMHO. [emoji483]

Not sure what you would find 'intolerant' or 'hypocritical' about iancal's post.

Anyone who thinks different from this are fashion police. ����

There you go, tagging people with an intended derogatory nickname just because their opinion may differ from yours. That’s the hypocrisy of people who claim to be tolerant and “don’t care”, when in reality, they seem to care more than the fashion police. IMHO. [emoji483]

Not iancal. That’s just their opinion. My comment was concerning Strat.

The post you found so derogatory by Strat was merely an affirmation in response to iancal. You cannot separate the two.

The post you found so derogatory by Strat was merely an affirmation in response to iancal. You cannot separate the two.

Wasn’t it the nickname that was said to be derogatory? I don’t see how there can be confusion about that.

A lot of this thread seems like a witch hunt, only the hunt is for “fashion police”. Maybe any hint of preferences rubs people the wrong way based on how hot the topic was in the past, and newer CC members wander into the community unaware of the sensitivities. Who is being put on the defensive here in this thread? Putting aside a post or two that incorrectly tried to explain HAL’s current guidelines, I’d say it has been primarily been those who simply enjoy what a standard for attire does for shipboard ambiance.

Please consider that one or both is a retread, merely registered under a new name.

I suppose if it is possible to register under a new name it must be possible to register many times under many names - thereby being able to descend, en masse, upon a thread to create an unstoppable groundswell of opinion.

Has this been tried?

I suppose if it is possible to register under a new name it must be possible to register many times under many names - thereby being able to descend, en masse, upon a thread to create an unstoppable groundswell of opinion.

Has this been tried?

Yes. There have also been other reasons for holding a new identity---without the moderators knowing about it.

Wasn’t it the nickname that was said to be derogatory? I don’t see how there can be confusion about that.

A lot of this thread seems like a witch hunt, only the hunt is for “fashion police”. Maybe any hint of preferences rubs people the wrong way based on how hot the topic was in the past, and newer CC members wander into the community unaware of the sensitivities. Who is being put on the defensive here in this thread? Putting aside a post or two that incorrectly tried to explain HAL’s current guidelines, I’d say it has been primarily been those who simply enjoy what a standard for attire does for shipboard ambiance.

Ambiance is vastly overrated if the sight of a pair of blue jeans in the MDR is sufficient to ruin it completely.

Honestly, I don't care what the dress code is as long as it's enforced. It a jacket is required, then I'll wear a jacket, but then don't let others in without one.

While I prefer more casual dress and actual like that Holland America has relaxed their dress code, I'll still follow it to the letter and that's all that should be expected of passengers. If they want to exceed the dress code, great; if they meet the dress code, great, but there shouldn't be an expectation for more.

Honestly, I don't care what the dress code is as long as it's enforced. It a jacket is required, then I'll wear a jacket, but then don't let others in without one.

While I prefer more casual dress and actual like that Holland America has relaxed their dress code, I'll still follow it to the letter and that's all that should be expected of passengers. If they want to exceed the dress code, great; if they meet the dress code, great, but there shouldn't be an expectation for more.

Well said. Just follow the dress code, expect Holland America to enforce it fairly for everyone, and then we should all be able to get along. So in response to the OP, jeans are allowed in the MDR on smart casual nights as long as they are not torn or distressed.

More likely these comments may be the result of how few cruise ship passengers patronize five/six star resorts.

Why would you make such a blanket assmuption and how do you know if you are at all accurate? I think you well could be quite wrong. :o

Why would that be? I do not think I am the only here who has had the pleasure of such treats. :)

People check in and out of those grand hotels and resorts, worldwide, daily.

I do not think I am the only here who has had the pleasure of such treats. :)

No one said you were the only one. He said you were one of the few. There are few 5 star and 6 star hotels and many 3 star and 4 star hotels.

However, that skew in perceptions might explain the difficulty a few people have understanding why some other people wear jeans in the MDR.

You cannot seriously believe what you wrote there.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

What is so difficult about grasping the concept that someone might rationally believe another poster was either uninformed or misinformed?

What is so difficult about grasping the concept that someone might rationally believe another poster was either uninformed or misinformed?
Asked and answered.
No one said you were the only one. He said you were one of the few. There are few 5 star and 6 star hotels and many 3 star and 4 star hotels.

However, that skew in perceptions might explain the difficulty a few people have understanding why some other people wear jeans in the MDR.