Silver Spirit Nightmare. Do they care?

Daveywavey70

TM,

Well, that philosphy clearly works for you.

Many people however, when contemplating a purchase of this cost that involves so many variables, with a company that seems not predisposed to pre-warning customers of known problems or critical facts that might affect their decision to proceed, would not buy the product if they thought that if it went wrong then the likelihood of them being trested ethically and fairly seems most unlikely.

We all have different ideas of what is prudent risk taking when better alternatives might exist.

Of course. That is why I said in the last sentence - 'these are matters for personal decision...".

On the point about no pre-warning you often see it in the website for hotels where work is occurring - "the pool will be closed for maintenance" etc. But I haven't seen it regarding cruising. Not saying there is no pre-warning, I just haven't seen it.

There is a thread at the moment on the Seabourn board about disruptive deck work on one of their fleet. The passengers get a warning letter on embarkation and of course it is not much use then. The work appears to have been going on for weeks/months.

Some of us avoid "first" cruises after dry-docking like the plague. But I accept that is inside knowledge which I would not have known but for reading CC. I'd be interested to know when a cruise line has pre-warned at a point you can do something concrete about it.

I tend to agree. I've got about 300 days on cruise ships under my belt - Celebrity, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. That is nowhere near as many as some cruisers. I am yet to go on the perfect cruise. I live in hope.

Silversea and Seabourn have been the best though they are different in a few ways but maybe not as much as some would have us believe. I think that for anyone sailing on Silversea for the first time they should expect a great experience. Almost certainly it will happen.

If something does go wrong as seriously as it did for Daveywavey70 we all have the right to expect it to be handled a lot better than it has been for him. I admire him greatly for pursuing the matter as I would too but I do not think anyone is suggesting that because he, and some others, had the problem people should start cancelling cruises. (Well, maybe a few are!) These are all matters for personal decision but I will keep cruising Silversea until I have a reason in my own experiences to not continue.

Ditto. I’m sure DaveyWavey didn’t go on his cruise looking for petty things to moan about with the sole purpose of seeking a refund and completely agree his issues are genuine and have not be dealt with by Silversea at all well. I personally saw electrical faults so know personally and with certainty all is not well and was on going even after he’d disembarked.

I tend to look at the posts and gauge things on the comments of all passenger reviews posted. If there is a pattern, then it’s fair to conclude complaints or compliments are realistic and genuine. In daveywaveys case it’s backed up with others and the fact they’ve offered all a 25% blanket discount to everyone says it all. Some you can take with a pinch of salt and posted by individuals whose sole intent is to seek some sort of refund and look for petty things to moan about.

I strongly recommend that everyone read Emperor Norton experience on the Seabourn Sojourn. Construction on the pool deck, patio bar and grill closed for several days, poor service and bad attitude. Poor quality food. Ran out of drink swizzle sticks/stirrers.

Everyone has a bad day/week/cruise.

Of course. That is why I said in the last sentence - 'these are matters for personal decision...".

On the point about no pre-warning you often see it in the website for hotels where work is occurring - "the pool will be closed for maintenance" etc. But I haven't seen it regarding cruising. Not saying there is no pre-warning, I just haven't seen it.

There is a thread at the moment on the Seabourn board about disruptive deck work on one of their fleet. The passengers get a warning letter on embarkation and of course it is not much use then. The work appears to have been going on for weeks/months.

Some of us avoid "first" cruises after dry-docking like the plague. But I accept that is inside knowledge which I would not have known but for reading CC. I'd be interested to know when a cruise line has pre-warned at a point you can do something concrete about it.

Perhaps you haven’t followed Dave’s account.

He recognised the potential issues and pro-actively contacted Silversea who reassured him that he would have no problems. From recall they said “This is Silversea after all, sir”

Based on the reassurances he proceeded.

No amount of SS cheerleading can place any responsibility on Dave for accepting those reassurances on face value particularly if he doesn ‘t share your cruising experience and knowledge and no amount of twists with respect to their response can justify the way he has been treated. We now know what was mean by “This is Silversea after all sir”

I strongly recommend that everyone read Emperor Norton experience on the Seabourn Sojourn. Construction on the pool deck, patio bar and grill closed for several days, poor service and bad attitude. Poor quality food. Ran out of drink swizzle sticks/stirrers.

Everyone has a bad day/week/cruise.

To be fair, and don't get me wrong I always enjoy Emperor Norton's comments about his cruises. all of his 'trip reports' contain comments about poor quality food, service and other issues. He doesn't beat around the bush and there's usually more than a sprinkling of his dry humour in there.

As far as I know this is the first time he's had a closure of a pool deck to contend with but he's never been one to mince words about his cruises. Including his experience on SS.

And just as I add this comment I read on another thread that someone else had their cruise on Silver Whisper spoiled by repairs to the pool deck in 2017

This thread is about Silversea, not Seabourn.

Perhaps you haven’t followed Dave’s account.

He recognised the potential issues and pro-actively contacted Silversea who reassured him that he would have no problems. From recall they said “This is Silversea after all, sir”

Based on the reassurances he proceeded.

No amount of SS cheerleading can place any responsibility on Dave for accepting those reassurances on face value particularly if he doesn ‘t share your cruising experience and knowledge and no amount of twists with respect to their response can justify the way he has been treated. We now know what was mean by “This is Silversea after all sir”

I'm a little confused by your post. I have read daveywavey70's posts. My comment about pre-warning was in response to yours which I took as a general statement about Silversea not giving them. Maybe I misinterpreted it?

My point was that Silversea is not alone in that, at least to my knowledge. By pre-warning I was thinking that meant advising passengers in advance that there were issues on board which may affect their cruise with the passengers having the opportunity to bale out if they wanted to. I think I have made it clear that I think davey was very badly treated and I think he deserves major recompense. The personal assurances from Silversea compound it.

If your cheerleading comment is directed at me I reject it. I'll sail on cruise lines where I think I get good value for money and good service and product. So far I think I have had that on Silversea (as well as on Seabourn).

Anyway, I hope he manages to get proper recompense.

Thanks for the suggestion Emtbsam but I feel so badly treated by SS I really don’t like the idea of having to hand them another £5k+ of my hard earned money to redeem the 25% that they should have refunded in the first place. What if that one goes wrong? I’d rather give my money to someone that appreciates it. I’ve been looking this week at Uniworld as I’ve never been on a river cruise and they seem quite nice. Also like the look of Azamara.

I’m not sure I’d enjoy a TA as I tend to keep my holidays quite action packed and think I would get quite cooky if I was at sea for several days. I’d rather pay more to get the cruise I wanted with a port nearly every day.

Hello Daveywavey,

I am a frequent Azamara guest ( I board on Saturday) and have been reading this thread with fascination and horror. So sorry you had such a disappointing cruise.

As Azamara is not a true luxury line I wonder if it would give you the experience you seek. However, the ships are very attractive ( though far from new), the service levels and attentiveness of the crew are excellent and senior management pride themselves in resolving issues while guests are still on board if at all possible. I have had one or two instances where they have more than gone the extra mile. I have never had anything but a lovely cruise with them.

Shoreside in Miami leaves a lot to be desired BUT we in the UK are more than fortunate to have a UK Managing Director who engages with guests on a personal basis and tries to resolve any issues guests have pre or post cruise. Can't speak highly enough of him.

Guests are sophisticated, friendly, well travelled and interesting. Food in the MDR is good and excellent in the speciality restaurants though generally I would suppose Silversea cuisine may be a touch better.

If you can bring yourself to cruise again it's worth considering Azamara IMO.

Do hope your issues are resolved to your satisfaction soon.

Finally I note with interest that it was announced yesterday that Azamara's parent company, Royal Caribbean have taken a majority stake in Silversea.

Many thanks Spursgirl

I’ve stated elsewhere that we were treated better on a Thomson cruise than we were on Silversea and had a fantastic time.

I think part of the problem with SS is that they set themselves up as being ultra luxury and charge for it but then fail to deliver it and do nothing when they fail to provide what they have promised and you have paid for.

I was drawn towards Azamara because they seem more genuine than SS. They don’t appear to promise things that they can’t deliver. It’s great to get a past cruisers opinion.

Many thanks again

Davey

I just stumbled onto this thread, and have read it all. I have one question about something that jumped off the monitor at me; the "top dog" in the UK (I think) responded that they were "unaware of the electrical problems when the ship left the dockyard". Did the passengers board at the dockyard? How far did the ship sail empty before the first group of passengers boarded? I can see (with great difficulty, though) the remote possibility of them being unaware of the electrical problems on the actual day they left the dockyard, but there is no way on God's green earth that they stayed unaware for more than that, assuming that the reports are even 75% true (which I am NOT suggesting that they are less than 100%). I don't get this.

I have never sailed SS; we were Regent cruisers until my husband's death. I have had one solo Azamara cruise, but I don't think solo cruising is for me.

I strongly recommend that everyone read Emperor Norton experience. Poor quality food. Ran out of drink swizzle sticks/stirrers.

That's got to be the last straw. A ruined trip for sure when you can't swizzle your drinks anymore. What's this world coming too?

Yes, DaveyWavey has been treated poorly. And if he had not been treated poorly by what I would call arrogant and dismissive managers at Silversea no one would have to second guess their apparent lack of professionalism and whether or not to consider a Silversea cruise. Who needs that?!?

I am a confirmed Seabourn loyalist with one rather drab Silver Whisper cruise under my belt. But between that cruise and my next on Silversea (Cloud, August, 2019) I will have sailed once with Cunard and 4 times on Seabourn. So clearly, Silversea is an option, but no more than that. And this episode hurts their relative position with me.

I am disheartened to think I or any one of us could be treated the same way by Silversea. Cheerleaders can cheer if they like through it all but this was an own goal by their management. Maybe Royal Caribbean will establish the discipline and procedures they will need to compete in this luxury segment so that this nonsense does not reoccur.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Ps- Best of luck dealing with Silversea, DaveyWavey

Markham, May I ask who you are addressing as a cheerleader and cheering at his plight? Can you clarify please since it does seem like you are replying directly to my post above yours and it would be most odd to give the label since throughout this thread I’ve stated repeatedly SS has dealt with this poorly. I even posted a video last week showing electrical problems were still ongoing.

It’s such a shame that anyone who posts they’ve enjoyed a Silversea cruise is now labelled with such a divisive tag by some on the Silversea forum of all places!

Some are cheerleaders, some are bashers . That is unfortunately the nature of the internet. It saddens me greatly that people can’t express their own opinions, wether good or bad without being attacked. Most people’s opinions are fairly balanced and are extremely helpful in a balanced discussion. I’m very pleased that some people have had an excellent experience and for the sake of balance it’s great to hear. I’m also at the same time very sad to hear that some people haven’t shared that excellent experience.

Most posters tend to be fairly balanced and report their experience, good and bad in equal measure. A few however are at one extreme or the other.

Regarding the internet in general, everybody is entitled to their own opinion which they have formed from their own experience. You may not agree with it but please don’t don’t attack them for it.

That is how serious discussions turn into public bun fights and the entire discussion is lost amongst all of the noise.

I was thinking of post 134 by Musecruiser who said something about hating Silversea. I thought that rather silly.

So you need not be concerned about this mainly satisfied Seabourn and Cunard cruiser’s concern that Silversea has made a mistake with DaveyWavey. I have been called a cheerleader when I am happy with a travel experience and a bugbear when I complained out loud. And I reiterate (as per my Whisper review-post in November, 2017) that the ship and its social tempo, apart from its excellent food, were flat. But a “hater” aiming to be divisive? Not at all.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Many thanks Spursgirl

I’ve stated elsewhere that we were treated better on a Thomson cruise than we were on Silversea and had a fantastic time.

Davey

This must have been a good long time ago, since you state in post 8 of this thread that you haven't had a holiday in more than ten years. Perhaps things have changed. In fact, I don't believe that Thomson exists (under that name) any longer.

This must have been a good long time ago, since you state in post 8 of this thread that you haven't had a holiday in more than ten years. Perhaps things have changed. In fact, I don't believe that Thomson exists (under that name) any longer.

Thomsons = TUI and is still very much operating.

Yes it was, we cruised with them in 2006 and 2007. They were Thomson at the time, later rebranded as tui and recently as Marella Cruises. We were treated superbly by them and couldn’t fault the experience. They are a 3 star cruise line and don’t try to pass themselves off as something they are not. They are honest about what they provide and charge accordingly. I can’t speak about the aftercare as we had no need to use it.

Many on here may look down their noses at such a lowly line but I can honestly say how memorable our cruises were with them for all of the right reasons. My recent experience on the other hand will remain etched upon my memory for all of the wrong reasons.

Thomson changed the name of their cruise line to 'Marella' towards the end of 2017. I only know this because I was unfortunate enough to be on a Thomson/TUI flight back from Paphos last year in October when the cabin crew, presumably under orders from superiors, kept banging on about the rebranding.

They gave us all a £10 drinks voucher to use on the ship, should we book a cruise. :rolleyes:

Edited to add - I still call them Thomson, and probably will for years to come. TUI just sounds daft...

Daveywavey70, have you had any news from Mastercard? You mentioned upthread that they were looking at the situation as a dispute. A loss of income from your cruise may help to focus Silversea's mind. :)

Yes, they called me on Monday with their initial response and confirmed that it certainly sounds like I didn’t receive the holiday as it was described. That is all I need to prove to them in order to obtain a full refund here in the UK.

I Was initially quite uneasy about following this process as it effects initially our TA and they will then have the job of claiming it back from Silversea. I have spoken to my bank about this at length. I Also offered to hold off forwarding my evidence to my bank until Monday 18th to give them a further opportunity to rectify the situation.

It transpires that our TA was fully aware of the stretch before we booked and failed to inform us. I Have requested help from our TA more than a dozen times and they have consistently refused as we are already speaking to Silversea. They have been informed that we have reached deadlock with Silversea and still refuse to do anything. Since I informed them I intend to proceed with the chargeback if no agreement can be reached I have received several emails from their less than helpful Head of Operations who has stated she has “substantive evidence to prove that you took your cruise”.

I Never claimed that I didn’t take the cruise, I claimed that the cruise was not “ultra luxury” as was described.

Another point that she makes that I find very interesting is “ The issues you encountered were also encountered by other people to more or less the same extent and that is why Silversea have decided on what level of compensation is justified.“

I’m particularly looking forward to hearing how many of the other passengers had no lights for 3 1/2 days in addition to all of our other problems, It must be a great number of us that suffered to more or less the same extent. As far as I was aware the particular problems in our cabin were unique.

Despite being told that we will never use the future cruise credit and 25% of zero is zero, she still is of the opinion that the offer is fair.

She didn’t seem very happy when I suggested that she is not familiar with her companies duties and responsibilities under both the package travel regulations and also section 75 of the consumer credit act.

I calculated the cost of the food that we did enjoy (mostly) and a comparative drinks package on another line. If we are offerered a full refund by MasterCard then I do intend to forward that amount back to them. Then again if We are made to suffer much more inconvenience and distress then maybe I should think twice before doing that.

It sounds as though your TA is acting for Silverseas rather than you.

My thoughts exactly Drron . The agent that we were dealing with throughout the booking process and indeed until the beginning of this week was very sympathetic and helpful but every time she took it to her supervisor nothing was done. It was only on Monday after explaining clearly to them what the implication of the chargeback was ( I did notify them when I raised it) that we started receiving emails from this extremely unhelpful and defensive person. Perhaps they’re worried?

They certainly haven’t been acting in our best interests.

I’m particularly looking forward to hearing how many of the other passengers had no lights for 3 1/2 days in addition to all of our other problems, It must be a great number of us that suffered to more or less the same extent.

Am I mistaken in recalling that you had no lights in the bathroom for several days -- not that there was no illumination throughout the suite during that period?

I had recalled that you thought that your hardship was extraordinary and thus merited compensation in excess of the 25% discount on a future cruise given to all passengers. Thus, I am surprised that you write that "it must be that a great number of us... suffered to more or less the same extent." Can you kindly elaborate?

Edited by Observer