Advice needed book Alaska for 2018 or wait for 2019

math227

We were planning on going to Alaska next summer (2019) however we are considering moving it up to August 2018. We were the primary care givers for our parents but , unfortunately, lost all 3 as of last week and have an abundance of free time once the school year ends.

This will be my 9th cruise and my concerns are less about cabins and ships and more about excursions, hotels and flights. There are plenty of cabins left on the sailing we are looking at. Do you think booking now instead of for 2019 would be a mistake? I usually private excursions instead of through the ship and I'm worried the good ones will be gone. We are probably going to do the land portion on our own as well.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome!

Life is short. Buy the pony.

Got to agree...although not sure how we are supposed to answer for your situation. For examples, flights could be pretty complicating, but we don't know where you are flying from...

Sorry about the recent loses...

I would say that after what you have been through, you deserve a break away.

Start looking into excursions. Maybe you could book through the cruiseline for excursions if private ones are gone. We did cruise excursions the first time we went to Alaska and loved them all. This year we are doing a combination of private and ship excursions.

Maybe if you decide Alaska is better left for next year, you could do some other trip this summer to give yourself a well earned break.

Thanks for your replies. We definitely need a vacation (Alaska or otherwise). We are coming from Boston and the flights to Anchorage were about $700 per person:o:o, one way, last night. That's what made me nervous.

Before booking I would check on the availability of hotel rooms, rental cars and whatever necessary for the land part of your trip. I would also check airline reservations and the availability of private tours if they interest you.

We booked a couple of months ago and found lodging reservations in remote areas were a bit of a challenge. Everything else was easy to arrange.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your replies. We definitely need a vacation (Alaska or otherwise). We are coming from Boston and the flights to Anchorage were about $700 per person:o:o, one way, last night. That's what made me nervous.

Once you have a booking number you can go in and check the flight prices thru HAL. You may get a better deal. Also download Hopper to get price predictions. I am sorry about your loss. Edited to add that Google flights is one of my go-to search engines when researching prices. Good luck.

Concerning the flights, you may wish to talk to HAL and take advantage of their Flight Ease program. We have found when looking at airfares (even US to US destinations), HAL has competitive rates. Also we were able to book dates, times, airlines and seats with HAL

Have a wonderful cruise, whenever you choose to take it.

Your profile indicates you are from Boston. What about Bermuda (if still available) or New England/Canada for this year and have plenty of time to plan especially the land portion of Alaska next year?

Roy

I agree with previous posts that it sounds like you deserve a nice vacation, and if Alaska was in your future plans, I say go for it! I also agree that HALs FlightEase pricing is very competitive and the booking agent can give you an airfare quote when you book the cruise. HAL can also a arrange pre and post cruise hotels so it’s worth checking on what they have to offer. In any case, it’s always good to do some of your own research in advance so you know whether HAL is giving you a competitive rate on air and hotels. Good luck, but I hope you go. You’ll love Alaska! [emoji483]

We are from Mass also, round trip from Bradley to Anchorage on United, home via Air Canada Vancouver via Toronto was is $1118 each plus a few more $$$ to upgrade seats

I understand the need for a great vacation after being the caregiver of parents that passed!

My experience for 2018: I waited too late to make a booking for the cruise and tours that I wanted at a price I was willing to pay and this was two months ago. I have opted to wait until 2019 and plan on making my booking this Fall for 2019 when availability and pricing ought to be more to my liking.

I was able to book decent air fare, however, for August so that I can visit my relatives in Alaska for a few days even without the planned tour and cruise.

Booking later in the Season may allow for some good pricing as cancellations take place and space opens.

We too were planning 2019 but my 15 stumbled upon a great deal for the 14 night cruise from Seattle. We just booked 2 weeks ago and got terrific airfare! My concern was missing excursions. The last two weeks I have been obsessed but we did it!!! Our dYs are planned and so are the excursions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your profile indicates you are from Boston. What about Bermuda (if still available) or New England/Canada for this year and have plenty of time to plan especially the land portion of Alaska next year?

Roy

Roy we've done both of these and LOVED them. We are considering them for this summer too because they are so quick and easy.

Part of me says, book it!

And if seeing the bears are part of your agenda, August would be good. Good bear viewing excursions during the salmon run WILL be booked up.

You could. probably makes calls and check out a few excursions, if you know what you are interested in.

Flights might not improve, so you would probably want to make a decision on that. See what the rates are doing, and seats available.

We wanted to cruise Alaska earlier in the season, while it was still cool and snow on the mountains, etc... so we cruised in May. So, if that is an option for you, you could consider another getaway for later this year, and start planning now for earlier next season.

I know this might be questioned, and considered blasphemy here, but I would also consider Princess for Alaska!

There's no law that says you can't go both years. You could look at taking the 2-week cruise out of Seattle this year, and take the land tour next year, adding in a one-way at the end (or beginning).

The two itineraries have some overlap, but many differences, too. Besides, just going in different months, and even the same time in different years, can present totally different experiences. There's more than enough in Alaska to justify multiple trips.

I suspect that a nice trip this summer is just what the doctor ordered.

We were planning on going to Alaska next summer (2019) however we are considering moving it up to August 2018. We were the primary care givers for our parents but , unfortunately, lost all 3 as of last week and have an abundance of free time once the school year ends.

This will be my 9th cruise and my concerns are less about cabins and ships and more about excursions, hotels and flights. There are plenty of cabins left on the sailing we are looking at. Do you think booking now instead of for 2019 would be a mistake? I usually private excursions instead of through the ship and I'm worried the good ones will be gone. We are probably going to do the land portion on our own as well.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome!

I have never regretted any trips I have taken. There have been times I have regretted not taking one. I say go this year, who knows what next year brings? Go, just go

Go for it!

We were caregivers for our parents too, and it's quite a strain.

I'd suggest the train in Skagway (love the swivel seats in luxury car but it's expensive), the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Cruise in Ketchikan, and Butchart Gardens in Victoria. Also, we were able to book excursions on the ship. (We make all changes on embarkation day.)

We just did a B2B in Vancouver, and found it very disorganized. Also, porter shortage w/ disembarkation. Both cruises, they were a couple hours delayed due to customs delays.

I'd suggest Seattle, because no messing with US customs.

If possible book a room w/ a balcony and order room service on Scenic Cruising Day.

We were in the same situation last year. Despite finding some great last minute deals, Decided to wait until 2018 so I could research more and book excursions ahead of time.

One thing about waiting until 2019; there will be more ships to choose from, but on the other hand there will be more cruisers and ports could be overwhelmed.