Bavarian country cooking class

clcmdse

Our Uniworld cruise Budapest to Prague in July includes an optional Bavarian country cooking class. On past trips, we have enjoyed this type of excursion. Does anyone have experience with this particular one?

As always, and lately it has been always, thank you for the tips!Catherine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This sounds exciting and your response is making my mouth water! Are there specialties we should look out for - even apart from the cooking class.

Catherine

I don't recall ever having a bad meal in Germany. I love schnitzel, kasebrot (cheeese topped rolls that are crisp on the outside, soft inside). All their sausages. Curry Wurst, Venison, ... and last but not least...

Appfel Strudel :)

I don't recall ever having a bad meal in Germany. I love schnitzel, kasebrot (cheeese topped rolls that are crisp on the outside, soft inside). All their sausages. Curry Wurst, Venison, ... and last but not least...

Appfel Strudel :)

Most of these items are not Bavarian in origin.

This is more like it:

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Bavarian_cuisine

Actually there´s nothing like Bavarian food as Bavaria consists on seven different regions. So food in Franconia differs from that in Upper Bavaria or Suabia.

Sure we do eat Franconian sausages in Munich too. Weisswurst is more typical for Upper Bavaria. Kässpatzn are Suabian food. Schäufele is Franconian while we have Schweinshaxn in Munich. Even the Knödel (dumplings) differ by the region.

steamboats

.... born in Suabia, lived in Franconia, now located in Upper Bavaria

As regards regions of Germany, yes, I regard steamboats as a foreigner. ;) She lives in a "Freistaat", free state. I am a Rheinländer, born and bred. But we all get along well, especially during the World Cup. I always find it a little weird to read when a river cruiser has a German evening onboard, cruising on the Rhine, and the tables are decked out in Bavarian colours.

But that aside, a Bavarian cooking class does sound really nice. Make sure they give you tips on where to find ingredients that might not be so familiar to you. Not sure if there are any but it could happen. And the bread, yes, German bread. My local baker closed down and I am not happy with the one further away. I hope they serve you lots, hopefully Bavarian variations, as well.

Have fun.

notamermaid

German food in general is AMAZING. I don't care what region it comes from. Getting hungry just thinking about it.

That's why we went last weekend! It was great to be back, if only for a short time. We were in Frankfurt, which is nothing like Bavaria of course, but we still enjoyed the food.

Enjoying this thread immensely. I read the article that G.M.T. posted and it made me hungry too. Keep talking about food!

notamermaid,

You got something wrong in your post ;)! I would regard you as a foreigner :')!

BTW we do bake our own rolls and bread for a couple of years now (actually my husband does). We don´t have real bakeries in Munich (at least not close to my home). Most of the shops are large industrial bakeries.

steamboats

notamermaid,

You got something wrong in your post ;)! I would regard you as a foreigner :')!

BTW we do bake our own rolls and bread for a couple of years now (actually my husband does). We don´t have real bakeries in Munich (at least not close to my home). Most of the shops are large industrial bakeries.

steamboats

I lived in Munich for a year and some change back when McGraw Kaserne was open. I lived in the military housing just off the base. I think there was a Greek restaurant near it. Perlacher Forest. After that we moved to Bad Aibling and lived in an apartment behind an amazing Italian place. Oh the memories.

I lived in Munich for a year and some change back when McGraw Kaserne was open. I lived in the military housing just off the base. I think there was a Greek restaurant near it. Perlacher Forest. After that we moved to Bad Aibling and lived in an apartment behind an amazing Italian place. Oh the memories.

:'):'):') In a thread about Bavarian cuisine you remember a Greek and an Italian restaurant in Munich and Bad Aibling :'):')!

As for the OP: Go for it! Can´t be too bad! I usually try to get food tours or cooking classes when I´m traveling.

steamboats

:'):'):') In a thread about Bavarian cuisine you remember a Greek and an Italian restaurant in Munich and Bad Aibling :'):')!

As for the OP: Go for it! Can´t be too bad! I usually try to get food tours or cooking classes when I´m traveling.

steamboats

Hehehe funny huh....there was an amazing bakery that I stopped at on the way to work every morning in Bad Aibling :)

I think we will try the cooking class! We generally love them as well. Thanks to all for your mouthwatering posts and for a gastronomic tour of the region.

:) Can't wait to hear about it.