What are the chances it will be cold in February?

Joebucks

I'm planning on cruises for next year, and the Dream class has really caught my eye. I've heard of a lot of people going in February, and loving it. I have loved going April-May and Sept-Oct because off-peak season has been great crowds, weather, and prices. What scares me is I was once in the Keys for week in January. It was 40-50 everyday, except for one day it was 70. I would not want to risk a cold vacation. I understand that the Bahamas can get cold around this time. What about the rest of the Carribean?

I'm planning on cruises for next year, and the Dream class has really caught my eye. I've heard of a lot of people going in February, and loving it. I have loved going April-May and Sept-Oct because off-peak season has been great crowds, weather, and prices. What scares me is I was once in the Keys for week in January. It was 40-50 everyday, except for one day it was 70. I would not want to risk a cold vacation. I understand that the Bahamas can get cold around this time. What about the rest of the Carribean?

Hi

The Bahamas and the Keys are not in the Caribbean. That might be the source of your confusion. Anywhere south of Cuba will be warm any time in our winter months.

hope this helps

Hi

The Bahamas and the Keys are not in the Caribbean. That might be the source of your confusion. Anywhere south of Cuba will be warm any time in our winter months.

hope this helps

I understand that they aren't technically the Carribean, didn't use the proper choice of words.

However, the Keys aren't THAT far from a lot of these Carribean ports. That is my concern.

Didn't say it was their summer. CLOSER to southern hemisphere, where it is summer.

The Southern Hemisphere being in Summer has nothing to do with the Caribbean being warmer than Ohio in February.

The Southern Hemisphere being in Summer has nothing to do with the Caribbean being warmer than Ohio in February.

So exactly what does make the Caribbean warmer? Silly me, I always thought it was warmer because it was closer to the equator, and therefore closer to the sun, and the tilt of the earth made the northern hemisphere further away, and therefore colder.

So exactly what does make the Caribbean warmer? Silly me, I always thought it was warmer because it was closer to the equator, and therefore closer to the sun, and the tilt of the earth made the northern hemisphere further away, and therefore colder.

Closer to the Equator yes, which makes it closer to the Sun - and thus warmer.

Your statement that it being closer to the Southern Hemisphere is not why it's warmer in Winter. If that were true, would it not be cooler in Summer as that's when the Southern Hemisphere is in Winter?

Closer to the Equator yes, which makes it closer to the Sun - and thus warmer.

Your statement that it being closer to the Southern Hemisphere is not why it's warmer in Winter. If that were true, would it not be cooler in Summer as that's when the Southern Hemisphere is in Winter?

No because the reverse holds in the southern hemisphere. I.E. the closer it gets to the northern hemisphere the warmer it gets. :D

No because the reverse holds in the southern hemisphere. I.E. the closer it gets to the northern hemisphere the warmer it gets. :D

Silly me! :-) Is that like how it works in Florida - the further South you go, the further North it is?

I go western caribbean the last two weeks of Feb or the first week of March every year and it's my favorite time to cruise. The weather is great. Prices are good. Kids are in school. Did the Breeze Cozumel, Roatan, Belize this year. Doing Vista Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego next year.

We have cruised in Jan & Feb for the past 15 years and other than one time it was always warm.....as a matter of fact, downright HOT! The Bahamas are not as far south, so slightly cooler, but have always been warm at that time of year.....and we have cruised that time of year for many years now! It is our favorite time to cruise for many reasons (price, less kids and not Hurricane season).

The Caribbean will be fine. The Bahamas are not in the Caribbean but are a few hundred miles north of the Caribbean. You might have a chilly first day and night but as you go south it will warm up nicely.

BTW none of the private islands on an eastern cruise are in the Caribbean, they are in the Atlantic, like the Bahamas, and can be cold. The western private places are far enough south that they will be warm.

I understand that they aren't technically the Carribean, didn't use the proper choice of words.

However, the Keys aren't THAT far from a lot of these Carribean ports. That is my concern.

The Keys are very far from all of the true Caribbean ports.