Saving Deck Chairs

It burns me when I get to the pool and rows upon rows are saved and empty for hours. What is the policy on this for each cruise line?

What is proper etiquette (besides not saving chairs for people that are MIA)? Do you contact the pool guy or does he just pass out towels?

there are many dead horses but the same questions are asked again & again ;)

Not too worry about it

you will not be the last person to do so

Welcome to Cruise Critic

Usually there are PLENTY of vacant loungers....they simply might not be right beside the pool. IF there is NOTHING to be found, ask folks sitting near the "saved" chairs if anyone is using them....the folks around will know...and if they say no one has been there, remove the towels and give them to the pool attendant. Have a seat.

I'm new here. Didn't realize I was beating a dead horse.

No worries. It’s not a problem at all and 90% of us don’t mind answering your question. It’s just that the darn 10% that do mind tends to be the ones that pop up with some sarcastic response right away. Just ignore them and don’t let it keep you from asking questions. My grandmother used to say you can’t learn anything unless you ask. Smart people ask questions. And the search tools here aren’t the easiest to figure out.

To answer your question, with Carnival the rule is after 40 minutes without a person occupying the chair, the items can be removed and the chair taken. I’ve seen employees take them off and I’ve seen individuals remove the items and take them to an employee. Most ships have this rule but there’s not always someone there to enforce it.

I usually can find a chair that is empty and put my stuff on it.

If I cannot and the chair has no one on it but their stuff is, I just leave it there in a pile and put my stuff on the chair as well while I have my swim. I normally want to sit for a while after my swim to dry off a bit, so I move the other person's stuff to the side. If they come back before I leave, then I explain to them that they cannot reserve chairs, but they can have this one back. However, most times I am gone before anyone shows up. Remember to always remain civil and do not be dragged into a argument, there is no winners if that happens.

We have manly sailed on RCI but are looking to cruise with other lines for something different. We usually can find a chair or two and if nothing is open, we put our towels, etc near the hot tub which is one of our favorite places. There have been a few times, nothing was available so we just shrug it off and find something else to do No need to get spun up as we are there to relax. Confrontation over a chair is so not worth it to us.

what does the sign say as I have not seen one?

The ones I saw on our last cruise had time of the day (in half hour increments). The pool guys would place them on suspect "chair hog's" stuff indicating approx time the chair was vacated. If the sign was still there after some reasonable time, the stuff was removed.

The ones I saw on our last cruise had time of the day (in half hour increments). The pool guys would place them on suspect "chair hog's" stuff indicating approx time the chair was vacated. If the sign was still there after some reasonable time, the stuff was removed.

good idea

We had one guy on the last cruise would go the Sanctuary early in the morning leave a book & tote bag on the lounger & leave for the day

One day i saw him getting off the ship so asked the deck guy to remove the stuff

He got quite nasty when he returned to find his stuff moved & people in his spot

Usually there are PLENTY of vacant loungers....they simply might not be right beside the pool. IF there is NOTHING to be found, ask folks sitting near the "saved" chairs if anyone is using them....the folks around will know...and if they say no one has been there, remove the towels and give them to the pool attendant. Have a seat.

Good point.