Absolutely no carry on water or soda allowed? Is this enforced?

AllenO

We are scheduled to depart on the POA for our cruise on 6/9 and just printed out our cruise docs. Reading in the fine print they say absolutely no carry on water or soda is allowed except for medical necessities like infant formula or medical devices. They also say you can't bring on any water or soda of any kind at ports. Supposedly this has been their policy since 2016. This is by far the most restrictive water/beverage policy on any of the cruise lines we've seen. So my question is: Is this policy enforced or is it a wink and a nod to discourage people who want to avoid the beverage charges. Is this is the case, it will probably be my first and last cruise on Norwegian unless they really make up for it in other areas. Thanks.

Allen

While you can't bring on water in most any form you can bring on EMPTY bottles to fill with ships water

be it from your cabin sink - buffet - or beverage bar dispenser.

After the bottles are filled store them in the mini-fridge to cool.

You can take the full bottles anywhere on the ship but not back onboard.

A few folks bring on their own special water bottles with spigots filters and attachments.

You too can bring these on board - but must be EMPTY.

You can buy bottled water from Room Service (Water robbery at its best!)

Really bringing on your own water at 8 pounds per gallon is a wasted workout effort.

You can email accessdesk@ncl.com.i was given a Liquid exclusion. I’m diabetic. They did not ask me for documentation. I’m bringing sugar free lemon aid, sugar free coffee syrup and water.

Yes there are exceptions - not a hard and fast rule !

As this poster needed a Liquid exclusion (diabetes).

There are others distilled water for CPAP machines.

Formulas for infants to name a few.....

But Wal*Mart water is not going to pass muster and

lord help you smuggling Coca Cola on a Pepsi ship ! ROFLOL

While you can't bring on water in most any form you can bring on EMPTY bottles to fill with ships water

be it from your cabin sink - buffet - or beverage bar dispenser.

After the bottles are filled store them in the mini-fridge to cool.

You can take the full bottles anywhere on the ship but not back onboard.

A few folks bring on their own special water bottles with spigots filters and attachments.

You too can bring these on board - but must be EMPTY.

You can buy bottled water from Room Service (Water robbery at its best!)

Really bringing on your own water at 8 pounds per gallon is a wasted workout effort.

What does this mean ... the highlighted part?

Last year I had my 1 Qt. water bottle filled with ice & water in the dining room. I drank about 1/2 and it was attached to my purse 1/2 filled when I came back on board. No one gave me any trouble or asked me to dump it. Oh, BTW, NCL was charging $5 for a large bottle of water before everyone disembarked the ship to go ashore.

What does this mean ... the highlighted part?

Last year I had my 1 Qt. water bottle filled with ice & water in the dining room. I drank about 1/2 and it was attached to my purse 1/2 filled when I came back on board. No one gave me any trouble or asked me to dump it. Oh, BTW, NCL was charging $5 for a large bottle of water before everyone disembarked the ship to go ashore.

You got lucky. You normally have to empty or dump them, even if previously purchased as you left the ship.

We are scheduled to depart on the POA for our cruise on 6/9 and just printed out our cruise docs. Reading in the fine print they say absolutely no carry on water or soda is allowed except for medical necessities like infant formula or medical devices. They also say you can't bring on any water or soda of any kind at ports. Supposedly this has been their policy since 2016. This is by far the most restrictive water/beverage policy on any of the cruise lines we've seen. So my question is: Is this policy enforced or is it a wink and a nod to discourage people who want to avoid the beverage charges. Is this is the case, it will probably be my first and last cruise on Norwegian unless they really make up for it in other areas. Thanks.

Allen

Royal Caribbean has the exact same policy. Though from what people say they are a bit more lax about it (though my friend had her pack of water confiscated even though she had cleared a medical exemption).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Royal Caribbean has the exact same policy. Though from what people say they are a bit more lax about it (though my friend had her pack of water confiscated even though she had cleared a medical exemption).

Yes, from what I have heard most of the lines either have or are adding a similar policy. I am guessing the OP hasn't sailed for awhile as this policy hasn't been effect all that long. I think we are all shocked when we first learn of the new policies lines are putting into place.

Yes, from what I have heard most of the lines either have or are adding a similar policy. I am guessing the OP hasn't sailed for awhile as this policy hasn't been effect all that long. I think we are all shocked when we first learn of the new policies lines are putting into place.

I seem to recall Carnival went to a similar policy as well. I believe you can still bring on a bottle of wine, but that is it. They did drop their prices for bottle water to only be highway robbery.

There was way too much smuggling of alcohol onto the ship. The fact that companies were inventing products to assist in this meant it was just a matter of time until the cruise lines acted.

I seem to recall Carnival went to a similar policy as well. I believe you can still bring on a bottle of wine, but that is it. They did drop their prices for bottle water to only be highway robbery.

There was way too much smuggling of alcohol onto the ship. The fact that companies were inventing products to assist in this meant it was just a matter of time until the cruise lines acted.

I think they still let you bring cans or cartons of drinks on board, just nothing in a bottle.

So I have to contact NCL in advance for permission to lug a gallon of distilled H20 for his CPAP machine? They don't provide any once on board? He'll have to carry on a 8 lb gallon jug??? Crazy!! What about extension cord for plugging it in? Do they provide one? Anyone know? Haven't sailed NCL since 3/17 and he never needed this darn machine till now!! We've only sailed Celebrity since then and they provided both - no problem

You can still bring a 12 pack of soda or water etc per person.

So I have to contact NCL in advance for permission to lug a gallon of distilled H20 for his CPAP machine? They don't provide any once on board? He'll have to carry on a 8 lb gallon jug??? Crazy!! What about extension cord for plugging it in? Do they provide one? Anyone know? Haven't sailed NCL since 3/17 and he never needed this darn machine till now!! We've only sailed Celebrity since then and they provided both - no problem

They will provide. On another thread someone said there is Special Assistance you can arrange in advance.

Access Desk "In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us. "

Thanks, but it has to be cans, right?

I am curious as to how long this lasts.

No, you can't bring cans of soda, or cans of ANYTHING. You need permission for water, sugar free drinks( but not soda).

I asked about diet coke( I abhor pepsi). I was told NO.

No, you can't bring cans of soda, or cans of ANYTHING. You need permission for water, sugar free drinks( but not soda).

I asked about diet coke( I abhor pepsi). I was told NO.

Talking two different cruise lines; Carnival vs NCL. NCL, you're correct, Carnival... who cares, but cans of whatever. :')