Absolutely no carry on water or soda allowed? Is this enforced?

AllenO

So, about the spa package on HAL, can you tell me more?

HAL? hmmm nope, cannot tell you anything although it's pretty funny you ask since a friend has asked me to join her in Feb. for a fab Caribbean cruise... may be able to tell you more then.

Can I ask where you got an association with HAL from my posts? No biggy, just curious... so much hacking going on right now.

Cheers:wine-glass:

HAL? hmmm nope, cannot tell you anything although it's pretty funny you ask since a friend has asked me to join her in Feb. for a fab Caribbean cruise... may be able to tell you more then.

Can I ask where you got an association with HAL from my posts? No biggy, just curious... so much hacking going on right now.

Cheers:wine-glass:

It was a joke ... people were talking about the policies of different cruise lines not related to the OPs question. So, they threw in Hal ... as a joke.

It was a joke ... people were talking about the policies of different cruise lines not related to the OPs question. So, they threw in Hal ... as a joke.

At least someone got it. Sounds like I got lucky by going with HAL.

Last year DH and I completed a back2back on the Spirit. While waiting on my husband to board I saw several passengers being told to throw away water and/or soft drinks. Then there was a change in staff. The person enforcing the rule was called away. The staff left allowed passengers with water and/or soda to board with these items.

I guess it depends on who is over seeing the boarding f this policy is enforced.

Ok, so if I decide to cruise with HAL, I'm in for a good cruise then... right? Lordy.. sorry I missed the Joke... I'm way too serious right now...

Cheers... :wine-glass::wine-glass:I might need a little extra... :')

But what does any of that have to do with the beverage policy on DCL? ;p

We were just off the Jewel and we saw a very angry passenger have to throw lots and lots of drinks away in Seward. Gatorade, water, flavored water. I Think it was over $30-40 of drinks. It's not worth it. A couple of times I was let back on the ship with a half bottle of water, but most times I was made to empty it. If it is one bottle, might be worth it to try, but don't go and buy a bunch. They were not letting her take one bottle in and she had to toss them all

We are scheduled to depart on the POA for our cruise on 6/9 and just printed out our cruise docs. Reading in the fine print they say absolutely no carry on water or soda is allowed except for medical necessities like infant formula or medical devices. They also say you can't bring on any water or soda of any kind at ports. Supposedly this has been their policy since 2016. This is by far the most restrictive water/beverage policy on any of the cruise lines we've seen. So my question is: Is this policy enforced or is it a wink and a nod to discourage people who want to avoid the beverage charges. Is this is the case, it will probably be my first and last cruise on Norwegian unless they really make up for it in other areas. Thanks.

Allen

Definitely enforced

So I have to contact NCL in advance for permission to lug a gallon of distilled H20 for his CPAP machine? They don't provide any once on board? He'll have to carry on a 8 lb gallon jug??? Crazy!! What about extension cord for plugging it in? Do they provide one? Anyone know? Haven't sailed NCL since 3/17 and he never needed this darn machine till now!! We've only sailed Celebrity since then and they provided both - no problem

As does NCL.

you dont bring your own anything but the machine and the mask...

While you can't bring on water in most any form you can bring on EMPTY bottles to fill with ships water be it from your cabin sink - buffet - or beverage bar dispenser.

You should NEVER fill your nasty, germ filled bottles from a beverage dispenser. You MUST fill a clean cup with water, then pour it into your bottle.

You should NEVER fill your nasty, germ filled bottles from a beverage dispenser. You MUST fill a clean cup with water, then pour it into your bottle.

I don't know why you don't wash your water bottles and they are dirty, nasty and germ filled, but I hand wash mine first and then run it through the dishwasher and it is sterilized.

It is NOT dirty, nasty or germ filled anything.

I don't know why you don't wash your water bottles and they are dirty, nasty and germ filled, but I hand wash mine first and then run it through the dishwasher and it is sterilized.

I believe that the post was pointing out that for most water bottles, the part that touches your mouth might come in contact with the dispenser.

Obviously, there are different types of bottles but the reminder is for people who fill bottles such as an empty Dasani bottle.

Where do you find a dishwasher on a cruise ship? ;)

More than technically correct ABSOLUTELY correct !

Most serious water cruisers bring their own bottles with removable lids tops filters etc.

these large mouth bottles makes filling the bottle easier than the small twist off cap.

When at the Buffet or other source:

The -2- step method to fill your water bottle is required.

Fill the NCL cup glass or plastic wear then pour into your bottle.

Ideally the pouring vessel should not touch the receiving bottle.

Then if more water to fill the bottle is required then use that same

pouring vessel again. Any touching or contact discard the NCL

glass and use another.

I seem to recall Carnival went to a similar policy as well. I believe you can still bring on a bottle of wine, but that is it. They did drop their prices for bottle water to only be highway robbery.

There was way too much smuggling of alcohol onto the ship. The fact that companies were inventing products to assist in this meant it was just a matter of time until the cruise lines acted.

I am sure you are right and yes, we all asked for this in some way or I don't literally mean WE, but it was the abuse that caused all this to happen industry wide. This is also what brought on the DSC or gratuities, whatever you want to call it. Too many were not tipping.

No, you can't bring cans of soda, or cans of ANYTHING. You need permission for water, sugar free drinks( but not soda).

I asked about diet coke( I abhor pepsi). I was told NO.

Since the policy change we have checked two 12 packs of Diet Dr. Pepper in a cheap duffle bag all by themselves. We have received that bag, full of our preferred beverage, each time. I have been prepared to abandon the bag if it didn't show up but it always shows up in the room. This was true was in both Miami (x2) and New York. We are leaving on saturday and our soda is already in the duffle.

Since the policy change we have checked two 12 packs of Diet Dr. Pepper in a cheap duffle bag all by themselves. We have received that bag, full of our preferred beverage, each time. I have been prepared to abandon the bag if it didn't show up but it always shows up in the room. This was true was in both Miami (x2) and New York. We are leaving on saturday and our soda is already in the duffle.

Wow, I love diet. Dr. Pepper. I assume you're talking about Norwegian and not Carnival( not sure how that post ended up on here)? If so, I'll try a 6 pack. I don't drink that much soda. My wife is already dreading her week without coca-cola.

In January when we boarded The Escape in Miami we purchased several bottles of Coke from the vending machine at $2 per bottle (16 oz) that was in the waiting area after we checked in. Absolutely no problem carrying them on board as we had already cleared security. Less expensive then purchasing on board the ship and we liked the bottles with the screw top verses the cans on board. Will utilize this method on other cruises that have the vending machines in the waiting area.

We are scheduled to depart on the POA for our cruise on 6/9 and just printed out our cruise docs. Reading in the fine print they say absolutely no carry on water or soda is allowed except for medical necessities like infant formula or medical devices. They also say you can't bring on any water or soda of any kind at ports. Supposedly this has been their policy since 2016. This is by far the most restrictive water/beverage policy on any of the cruise lines we've seen. So my question is: Is this policy enforced or is it a wink and a nod to discourage people who want to avoid the beverage charges. Is this is the case, it will probably be my first and last cruise on Norwegian unless they really make up for it in other areas. Thanks.

Allen

I think "for your convenience" they will hold the case or (2) of water at the cruise pier...you can pick it up "after" your cruise is complete that way you can fly home with it and take it on the plane you arrived from. I think you may have to check it in as additional luggage...and you may incur a "minimal" approx $50 additional baggage fee to fly said water back home with you...you see where im going with this????

i guess you just buy it on board...

Best,

Mark

• 3 months later...
There's water available on the ship at no charge. You don't need to pay for any package to get water.

So you can ask for glasses of tap water at no charge anywhere then . My daughter won’t drink anything but Water . But not picky about bottle or tap :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you can ask for glasses of tap water at no charge anywhere then . My daughter won’t drink anything but Water . But not picky about bottle or tap :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, any bar or venue that serves food and drink will give you as much tap water as you would like, at no charge.

Edited by tonit964
added info