Norwegian Newbie (few questions)

bubba83

I'm a NCL newbie as well. I believe it's been mentioned, but note that bottled water is NOT included in the beverage package (even though every single other cruise line includes it). Every cruise line nickel and dimes you nowadays but an open bar that charges for a bottle of water is a joke.

I'm a NCL newbie as well. I believe it's been mentioned, but note that bottled water is NOT included in the beverage package (even though every single other cruise line includes it). Every cruise line nickel and dimes you nowadays but an open bar that charges for a bottle of water is a joke.

Just ask for ice water, that's free.

I'm a NCL newbie as well.

I believe it's been mentioned, but note that bottled water is NOT included in the beverage package (even though every single other cruise line includes it).

Every cruise line nickel and dimes you nowadays but an open bar that

charges for a bottle of water is a joke.

Just ask for ice water, that's free.

And, OP; me thinks you will find that the ice water on NCL is colder then on Royal.:cool:

you can get free water almost everywhere on the ship. Just go to any bar and ask for a glass of water or go to the buffet. What is so hard about that? NO, you can not get bottled water but what is the big deal?

you can get free water almost everywhere on the ship. Just go to any bar and ask for a glass of water or go to the buffet. What is so hard about that? NO, you can not get bottled water but what is the big deal?

It's more so the principle of the blatant nickle and dime. I can get a bottle of Heineken for free but they are going to charge me $5 for a bottle of water that cost them a few cents? Think about that for a minute. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Have you ever been to an open bar event anywhere in the world other than an NCL ship where alcohol is included but bottled water is not?

I haven't.

So I am a Norwegian Newbie and will be booking my first today for the Epic. I have only sailed Royal so I have a million questions running through my head.

Right now the first two that stick out are:

- can I add prepaid gratuities like on royal so I dont have to worry about them while on the cruise?

- are there formal nights?

And if you can think of any useful, need to know info for a newbie please share!

Thanks!

You can prepay your gratuities using myNCL.com

NCL does not have formal nights. They have one night that they call dress up or not, but well over 50% of the passengers elect not to dress up. Photographers are available every night of your cruise for formal portraits except the first night.

It's more so the principle of the blatant nickle and dime.

I can get a bottle of Heineken for free but they are going to charge me $5 for a bottle of water that cost them a few cents?

Think about that for a minute.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Make sure you ask for a straw with a free glass of ice water and then,

squint your eyes a little bit closer,

whilst you get that bad taste in your mouth.

(I hope you have a sense of humor)

you can add the gratuities prior to sailing. No, there are no actual formal nights, but the second night is formal, optional. Yo will see almost no tuxes. I don't think I have seen one in yeas: very few long dresses dresses but there will be a lot of people in after 5 type of dress. Most who are dressed up want to have a formal picture taken. that is part of the reason for dressing up a little more.

What else would you like to know? Of course you already know I am guessing, one of the big sellers for NCL is the total open dining in the main dining rooms. Of course dining in the specialty dining rooms do require a reservation. Another difference between RCI and NCL, the dining choices. Otherwise, most mass marketed lines are going to be similar. The Epic, I will add is a bit different in the design of the cabins. We haven't sailed RCI in a few years, but when we did we found the service better on NCL. This is strictly a matter of opinion and probably the luck of the draw.

Awesome thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

It's more so the principle of the blatant nickle and dime. I can get a bottle of Heineken for free but they are going to charge me $5 for a bottle of water that cost them a few cents? Think about that for a minute. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Have you ever been to an open bar event anywhere in the world other than an NCL ship where alcohol is included but bottled water is not?

I haven't.

I can't recall an event I've gone to on land that included bottled water if it was an open bar. Most were put on by restaurants/bars.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I haven't.

you are certainly enjoying nit picking and yes, until very recently I never went to a bar where they even offered bottled water.

One of the benefits of living in Europe the ubp on our 2 week upcoming escape cruise includes specialty coffee and 2 bottles of water pp per day , they “give “ this away on lots of sailings

One of the benefits of living in Europe the ubp on our 2 week upcoming escape cruise includes specialty coffee and 2 bottles of water pp per day , they “give “ this away on lots of sailings

You may view that as a benefit but you still "pay" for it. I just priced the exact same cruise using the US site and the UK site (all inclusive in UK)... Know what? The UK cruise fare is almost $200 more than US cruise fare when you convert pounds to dollars and the US booking includes onboard credit that is not included in the UK.

So enjoy your "free" bottled water.

Okay, so it has been 16 years since me and DW have been on a cruise. Finally have the kids through HS, college, daughter married, and both out on their own, so we can afford a cruise again!!! So, a couple of weird questions:

Do you think the fine folks at NCL will be offended if we use laynards from a FL theme park for carrying around our room keys? I know this is frowned on by the different resorts in FL, but will it really matter on a cruise?

Also, we have a mini-suite with large balcony on the Getaway in September. How does the boarding work in Miami? Is it like the airlines where it is by classes then zones based on fare? My Latitudes says I am Bronze level somehow, not sure if that affects anything (16 years since last cruise and I have a status still??? LOL).

Any help is appreciated.

Okay, so it has been 16 years since me and DW have been on a cruise. Finally have the kids through HS, college, daughter married, and both out on their own, so we can afford a cruise again!!! So, a couple of weird questions:

Do you think the fine folks at NCL will be offended if we use laynards from a FL theme park for carrying around our room keys? I know this is frowned on by the different resorts in FL, but will it really matter on a cruise?

Also, we have a mini-suite with large balcony on the Getaway in September. How does the boarding work in Miami? Is it like the airlines where it is by classes then zones based on fare? My Latitudes says I am Bronze level somehow, not sure if that affects anything (16 years since last cruise and I have a status still??? LOL).

Any help is appreciated.

I've seen people with lanyards from theme parks, other cruise lines, etc. I don't think anyone cares.

Boarding is done by groups typically depending on the time you check in. If you get there early, and get a low group number, you'll be some of the first to board but you'll have to wait in the holding room until they start. The last couple of cruises we've done we got there between 11:30-1:00 or so and walked right on the ship with no wait. If you want to get a Vibe pass, you basically need to be one of the first 2 or 3 boarding groups first thing.

I've seen people with lanyards from theme parks, other cruise lines, etc. I don't think anyone cares.

Boarding is done by groups typically depending on the time you check in. If you get there early, and get a low group number, you'll be some of the first to board but you'll have to wait in the holding room until they start. The last couple of cruises we've done we got there between 11:30-1:00 or so and walked right on the ship with no wait. If you want to get a Vibe pass, you basically need to be one of the first 2 or 3 boarding groups first thing.

Thanks Thomas! One more question: What is a Vibe pass?

Thanks Thomas! One more question: What is a Vibe pass?

Vibe is only available on the Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and Bliss (I think). It's essentially a private deck area on the top of the ship that has a very, very limited number of passes available for the week. It usually has a private bar area, hot tub(s), deck chairs, etc. It's an exclusive private area that isn't as crowded sometimes as the main pool decks.

To be honest, we prefer to get the Spa Pass instead for the week. I'd rather go relax in the spa area with the sauna/steam rooms, spa pools, heated loungers, etc.

Vibe is only available on the Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and Bliss (I think). It's essentially a private deck area on the top of the ship that has a very, very limited number of passes available for the week. It usually has a private bar area, hot tub(s), deck chairs, etc. It's an exclusive private area that isn't as crowded sometimes as the main pool decks.

To be honest, we prefer to get the Spa Pass instead for the week. I'd rather go relax in the spa area with the sauna/steam rooms, spa pools, heated loungers, etc.

Thanks again. I am hoping that our cruise is rather sparsely populated since it is the week after Labor Day week. The last few vacations we took during that time almost felt like we had the place to ourselves. We went to Universal Orlando one time during that week and my kids thought I has rented the park for them it was so empty! :D My wife and I also went to St. Thomas five years ago during that week and the resort was only at 25% capacity. The Staff told us they averaged over 95% during the rest of the year.

We have Coach lanyards that have a little thing to insert the keycard into a pocket. We used them on Celebrity.

You may view that as a benefit but you still "pay" for it. I just priced the exact same cruise using the US site and the UK site (all inclusive in UK)... Know what? The UK cruise fare is almost $200 more than US cruise fare when you convert pounds to dollars and the US booking includes onboard credit that is not included in the UK.

So enjoy your "free" bottled water.

I know I’m paying for it , that’s why I put quotations around the word give , the offers vary from month to month , the deal I got included ubp + coffee + water + internet + excursion credit + dsc + all gratuity’s on drink and onboard credit ( 150$ ) , I not stupid enough to think I’m getting things a lot cheaper it’s just that everything is paid upfront so there are no surprises onboard .

So I am a Norwegian Newbie and will be booking my first today for the Epic. I have only sailed Royal so I have a million questions running through my head.

Right now the first two that stick out are:

- can I add prepaid gratuities like on royal so I dont have to worry about them while on the cruise?

- are there formal nights?

And if you can think of any useful, need to know info for a newbie please share!

No formal nights on any NCL ship